lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2021, 12:01 PM   #201
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: 1976 Model D Complete Rebuild Thread

IT'S FOR SALE!

It's back running great and the remaining roof and windshield parts have been removed. Needs a couple of fiberglass repairs and new paint and it's good to go. I believe I have cataloged every piece of damage and it is listed below...

- THE BUILD -

This Harley-Davidson golf cart is a complete RestoMod from the ground up. No expense was spared and no detail overlooked. This cart runs perfectly!

CHASSIS -
The front half is from a 1974 Harley-Davidson Model DE4 electric golf cart, while the back half is from a 1976 Harley-Davidson Model D 3-wheel, gas golf cart. Original serial number plates for both are attached to the chassis.

The frame halves were laser precision aligned, sleeved, and completely welded. New fuel tank and battery supports were fabricated and lightening holes were drilled in non-critical areas of the chassis to reduce weight. The entire frame and engine cradle were stripped to bare metal and then powder coated. The front sub-frame was stripped and powder coated and the sheet metal was replaced with new aluminum sheeting. Stainless steel rivets and fasteners were used, as well as insulating rubber strips, to eliminate any possibility of galvanic corrosion. A new floorpan was fabricated from polished aluminum diamond plate.

SUSPENSION -
The front suspension was installed using grade 8 fasteners and 100% synthetic grease, new bearings and races, new bearing caps, etc. The rear suspension received new bushings, bump stops, chrome 3-valve shock absorber, polyurethane spring isolators, and grade 8 fasteners.

STEERING -
New steering box bearings and races, new gaskets, new steering wheel and adapter, stainless steel steering shaft cover, stainless steel fasteners.

ENGINE -
The stock 250 CC 2-stroke engine was disassembled, bead-blasted, rebuilt and bored .030 over, new piston, rings, seals, rod bearings, gaskets, etc. The cooling covers were powder-coated and the ignition includes a new coil and custom Taylor plug wire. The air cleaner housing was powder-coated and a new genuine Tillotson carburetor was installed, as well as an electric fuel pump, new fuel lines, and a new fuel tank. The fuel tank was lowered 0.25” to allow clearance for a new fuel sending unit, and the stock plastic fuel tank access door was replaced with a custom aluminum Harley-Davidson logo door with Dzus fastener closure. A new muffler was also installed.

DRIVE -
A brand new OEM outer clutch housing was installed with new gaskets, a new drive belt, and new brake pads. The stock mechanical floor-mounted forward/reverse lever was converted to solenoids which are activated using a safety toggle switch mounted conveniently between the front seats.

ELECTRICAL -
A completely new wiring harness was created including an integrated fuse panel and new positive and negative bus-bars. New heavy duty 2 gauge copper wire for battery and starter/generator, new solenoids, regulator, capacitor, and starter/generator were installed, as well as an hour meter, LED license plate frame, LED taillights, and a 24-inch LED lightbar. A new polished aluminum dash was fabricated and includes a new fuel gauge and new Harley-Davidson voltmeter gauge, and miniature LED indicators. A new warning beeper and LED indicator warn the driver if they are in reverse. Electrical connectors were crimped, soldered, and protected with heat shrink.

BODY -
The stock fiberglass body was sanded and all cracks and flaws were repaired with fiberglass. Aluminum reinforcements were fiberglassed into the body for added strength and support. A fully insulated fiberglass cooler was fabricated behind the front seats and features a color-matching rubberized interior coating for protection and noise reduction and is equipped with dual drains. The body was primed with urethane primer and received two coats of 2-stage paint and 2 coats of clearcoat. Custom graphics were designed and installed as well as polished aluminum rear and side bumpers and kick plate. Dynaliner® was installed under the body for sound deadening and heat insulation. Steel body supports were replaced with aluminum for longevity and weight reduction. The two tilt body hinges were replaced with a custom, heavy duty, stainless steel continuous hinge for increased strength, support, alignment, and reliability.

MISCELLANEOUS -
Extended roof, full folding windshield, new tires, wheels, and wheel covers, new chrome lug nuts, new throttle cable, new choke cable, custom fake side exhaust pipes, new seats including covers, padding, and frames, new rear seat, stainless steel cup holders, carpeted hidden storage compartment beneath the dash. All fasteners including bolts, nuts, flat washers, lock washers, and rivets are stainless steel except for high strength-critical areas where Grade 8 fasteners were used. All metal parts were bead-blasted and nearly every steel part was powder-coated.

- THE TRAGEDY -

Every part of this cart was perfect in every way. Over 100 hours were spent just on the body work alone. And then... a tree fell on it.

Fortunately, damage was limited mostly to cosmetic damage. The roof, windshield, and supports were completely destroyed and could not be salvaged. There are numerous scratches in the paint, a few fiberglass cracks, and a couple of punctures and abrasion in the new seats. There is no noticeable damage to any of the metal or structural parts of the vehicle, nor to the chassis, engine, or drivetrain. Photos show all the damage that I could find.

To view a short video of when I first purchased the cart AND the cart in its current running condition, go to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH9zX8ADkoo

- WHY I AM SELLING IT -

This resto-mod took over 2 years and thousands of hours to complete and was absolutely flawless. It was displayed and demonstrated at various Harley-Davidson, classic car, and golfing events and I thoroughly enjoyed sharing this cart’s story and history with spectators and admirers - as most people did not know that Harley-Davidson ever made golf carts.

After the tree fell on it, I moved it to an undamaged garage and covered it, as I could not bare to look at it after all of the work and money invested in it. After a few months I realized that I would never be able to get over what happened to it and was never going to repair it.

I removed the rest of the destroyed roof and windshield frame, installed a new battery, washed it, and test drove it to make sure everything still worked as it should - it does. I believe I have photographed all of the remaining damage and it should all be easily repairable. Spare graphics, paint, and extra parts are included with the cart. If you are having it shipped, the dimensions are listed below.

Current Hour Meter since restoration: 7.1 hours

Overall Length: 106 inches
Overall Width: 50 inches
Overall Height: 49 inches

2014 CC Precedent - 72V Extreme Team Lithium, Navitas 600A 5kw AC, 6" lift, 23" tires
1999 Humdinger CC DS - 72V Extreme Team Lithium, Navitas 600A 5kw AC, 7" lift, 26" tires
jonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-15-2021, 05:31 AM   #202
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Sold!
jonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 09:21 AM   #203
Poonjavi
Not Yet Wild

Looking for a video on pedal replacement.
I have the owners manual but video helps me more.
Thanks
Poonjavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson