lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-17-2022, 10:58 PM   #1
Deano101
Not Yet Wild

Default 2000 ezgo workhorse won’t run

I was given a 2000 ezgo workhorse st sport. I have replaced the battery, spark plugs(there is a spark) adjusted the valves, and cleaned the carburetor so far. When I push the gas it just doesn’t start. What else do I need to look into to get it moving?

I have taken this on as a project to keep me busy as I am told golf carts are “easy” to fix. I have very little experience with this kind of stuff, but excited to learn.

Thank you for any help
Deano101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-18-2022, 04:23 AM   #2
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2000 ezgo workhorse won’t run

First thing would be a compression test, then if that shows good, check for fuel flow to the carb. You can pull the hose from the pump that feeds the carb and with a spare piece of hose directed from the pump into a container, crank the engine and see if you get fuel pulsing from the pump.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 06:59 AM   #3
crash12888
Gone Crazy

If it has been sitting for any length of time sometimes the rubber flaps in the fuel pump will dry out and not pick up fuel.
As Cartmaster said, remove the fuel line from the carb and spin it over, If no fuel, use a small amount of air blown into the tank to prime the fuel system until it flows from the fuel line at carb.
Then press pedal and check for flow.
If flow, reattach fuel line and try to start it.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:00 AM   #4
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano101 View Post
I am told golf carts are “easy” to fix.

Another important thing to look at, is that the carb butterfly is actually opening when you push the go pedal!

There are a multitude of reasons that it may not be starting, but lucky you, You have a spark! Many people have spark issues with these and it can be tricky to pinpoint why no spark. You have a distinct advantage here. All you need now is compression and fuel and it should run.
Old 01-19-2022, 03:47 PM   #5
Deano101
Not Yet Wild

Thank you so much for the help. Plan to replace the fuel lines and the filter. Then Ill check the compression. Hopefully this gives me some answers.

Yes. I feel the same about the fixing golf carts comment. 👊🏻
Deano101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:49 AM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I keep an old spray bottle in the shop, pour some fresh fuel in it, then spray it into the carb as it's trying to start. If it will run on the spray, then you have a fuel related problem. I agree with the suggestions here. Could be fuel pump, fuel lines, or carb issue.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 08:07 AM   #7
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Just be warned. Slo's suggestion is solid, just be sure to have precautions ready. A backfire through the carb or a spark can be dangerous. Ask me how I know 😆. I now use a small syringe to do this. Less chance of 🔥.

Slo, I'm not knocking your suggestion, I used to do it all the time. Another method is use an old mower gas tank and hang it above the engine and connect it directly to the carb. As long as you know the carb is good it's the safest way.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:54 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I use a syringe and squirt a shot into the spark plug hole, quickly put the plug back in and spin it over. I’ve had a couple “instances” of sketchiness spraying into the carb myself
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:39 AM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Come on, you have to burn your eyebrows off every once in a while or you aren’t doing it right….
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:14 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Come on, you have to burn your eyebrows off every once in a while or you aren’t doing it right….
Problem is I like to work naked and it’s not my eyebrows I’m worried about
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ezgo workhorse
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO