lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-06-2022, 12:44 PM   #1
youngevan389
Not Yet Wild

Default Looking to Identify Ezgo body style and engine

Recently picked up, no tags in the locations they should be. Resides on an island down south and has been patched together over the years. No idea on the body or model. Engine wise I believe its a Robins 295? just not 100% sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any suggestions for parts online that ship internationally would be appreciated also. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1313.jpg (224.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 13151.jpg (217.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1314.jpg (221.2 KB, 0 views)
youngevan389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-06-2022, 04:53 PM   #2
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Default Re: Looking to Identify Ezgo body style and engine

I'd say a Robins 295 and no newer than a 2000 by looks of the air cleaner and cast iron manifold, (pre MCI motor). Probably a TXT with a replaced ST front cowl, also looks like it's in need of a wheel alignment.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 01:50 AM   #3
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Unless I am seeing it wrong Stovebolt, that looks like an MCI head on the engine. Plus the front axle and spindles look to be ST model. Maybe it started out as an ST sport or ST sport utility But the air filter throws me on this one! I would have expected it to have a barrel filter.

First thing to do would be clean the engine down and look for some numbers. Take a look at the sticker on the cam belt cover. Then we can identify the engine. Once that is done we can take a look at the rest. It may have been a short 800 hauler with the box and hinge brackets removed and a standard buggy rear body fitted. Without a serial number and manufacturers code this is going to be a tough nut to crack.

Have you looked under the front of the black plastic body panel behind the seat? ( looks like it has broken off and been re attached with screws ). some later models had a sticker there with the numbers you need. Some models also had a sticker or engraving on the chassis near the battery but not many that I have seen.

Take more pictures for us, the whole cart, under the front (steering rack) I expect to see the old type as I see two track rod arms, under the rear, more around the engine, the base of the steering column, remove the plastic cover in front of the battery and take a picture of what is under it. A picture of the ignition coil will also help, I think it looks to be MCI also but a better picture will confirm that. I can see it is a single cable FNR shift system, It also looks like it has an OEM lighting harness so we need to see if the rear has standard lights fitted or not. Does it have a horn button on the floor? does it have a single or two position ignition switch for lights, or a separate light switch. I can also see a waterproof wiring connector which would not have been standard on a pre MCI model.
There are many possibilities as to what is started out as, but you will probably want to build it to suit you, so that may not matter too much. The main differences will be with the engine / ignition and type of axle / steering to source parts. I cannot help with that as I am in the UK, but others will soon chime in to help.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 06:27 AM   #4
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

You're the man Cartmaster them are ST spindles and should have look closer at the manifold, after seeing the air filter I was kind of of sold on an early model. Good chance it could be a 350 too.
Old 01-07-2022, 06:42 AM   #5
youngevan389
Not Yet Wild

Wow, truly appreciated the wealth of knowledge. I'll get more pics together in the next day or two. Thank you.
youngevan389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 07:49 AM   #6
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoveBolt View Post
them are ST spindles and should have look closer at the manifold, after seeing the air filter I was kind of of sold on an early model. Good chance it could be a 350 too.
350cc would be a bonus.

Im starting to think this was an ST sport and not cobbled up out of odd parts. May have even been an ST 2+2 as i cant see the back end yet.

Dont worry about not seeing the manifold properly Stovebolt. I had to get my Big lens glasses out too.

I think, depending on the year of manufacture, some had the square filter box and some had the round filter. I know I have had ST350's with both types, not sure about the sports though as they were a later model.
Old 01-07-2022, 08:03 AM   #7
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
350cc would be a bonus.

Im starting to think this was an ST sport and not cobbled up out of odd parts. May have even been an ST 2+2 as i cant see the back end yet.

Dont worry about not seeing the manifold properly Stovebolt. I had to get my Big lens glasses out too.

I think, depending on the year of manufacture, some had the square filter box ans some has the round filter. I know I have had ST350's with both types, not sure about the sports though as they were a later model.
Old 01-07-2022, 08:30 AM   #8
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

whatever it turns out to be, you have the bonus of already being lifted, although it appears to only have 18 inch tires. You should be able to easily fit 20 inch or maybe even 22 inch with no other alterations to the suspension. The tires on the cart in my avatar are 25 inch but that is a standard ST350 with an added block lift similar to Stovebolts. you may also have the bonus of the 350cc engine which will be more capable of pulling hills and loads than the 295cc. It is only 3hp more but makes a big difference. As it appears to be the MCI engine, regular oil changes are critical for longevity of this engine. The downside of these carts is that a lot of parts are no longer available or very difficult to find of any decent quality. There are a lot of imported parts available on Amazon and such, but quality is dubious.

Regardless of which engine you have, a full service to the engine will be essential as it looks to be not particularly well looked after. A good clean up and inspection will tell you loads. It looks to have or had an oil leak at some time and a good clean will show that up.
With the air filter type you have you need to make sure the filter seals really well in the box and the lid is a nice tight fit. I see a cable tie replacing a clip. Nothing to worry about as I used to put cable ties on to make sure all was snugged up tight. Rear axle should be drained and fresh oil added too. Once we know what you have we can direct you to relevant manuals, but for service you can use some TXT MCI manuals for the basics, as I already said, there are no major differences, just mainly steering/suspension and ignition/engine parts. There is an engine manual in the tech section that covers both MCI and pre MCI engines, and there are a lot of guys and gals here that can guide you with anything you cant figure out yourself.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO