lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-23-2020, 04:33 PM   #1
flm270
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 06 Club Car DS Battery Sag

I have been having issues with my golf cart and no one can seem to figure out the problem. A few years ago I upgraded my 2006 club car XRT to an AC system. The new AC system is losing power when my gauge says it has 75% battery left. I know the gauges are not very accurate but this is too far off. The AC people said I had bad batteries. At the time I installed the new AC system I had 4 12v batteries so I changed to 6 8v but still had same results. Cart dies too soon. So they said charger might be bad so I installed the deltaQ IQ onboard charger. Same result. AC people said bad batteries. Swapped to another set of batteries same result. Now my mechanic is load testing them with a Lester load tester and they are discharging at 65 minutes give or take. AC manufacturer said to load test while driving cart. Had me connect a volt meter to one battery at a time and press the throttle to full throttle. Each battery went from 8.4v to 6v for a milli second the leveled out around 7.4. AC guy says bad batteries. 4 sets of batteries same results. So my question is, what should a 8v battery read under full throttle. Is it normal for one to drop to 6v for a split second then recover to 7.4v?
flm270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-26-2020, 11:47 PM   #2
Bobbob
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 06 Club Car DS Battery Sag

From reading your older post when you first installed AC motor and controller, you had problems. I would think your problem is a bad controller. I would bite the bullet and get a new AC motor and controller. Just my opinion on the problem you are having.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:27 AM   #3
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by flm270 View Post
I have been having issues with my golf cart and no one can seem to figure out the problem. A few years ago I upgraded my 2006 club car XRT to an AC system. The new AC system is losing power when my gauge says it has 75% battery left. I know the gauges are not very accurate but this is too far off. The AC people said I had bad batteries. At the time I installed the new AC system I had 4 12v batteries so I changed to 6 8v but still had same results. Cart dies too soon. So they said charger might be bad so I installed the deltaQ IQ onboard charger. Same result. AC people said bad batteries. Swapped to another set of batteries same result. Now my mechanic is load testing them with a Lester load tester and they are discharging at 65 minutes give or take. AC manufacturer said to load test while driving cart. Had me connect a volt meter to one battery at a time and press the throttle to full throttle. Each battery went from 8.4v to 6v for a milli second the leveled out around 7.4. AC guy says bad batteries. 4 sets of batteries same results. So my question is, what should a 8v battery read under full throttle. Is it normal for one to drop to 6v for a split second then recover to 7.4v?

Your dealer has had only one response to keep this issue from being his problem, blame the batteries. It is not your batteries, you've proven that. Since the problem has never changed, it seems to be either a faulty controller or possible poorly programmed controller and maybe just a dog that's dragging down the batteries.

You might get a lot more help here if you posted full details of your system as it was purchased. MFGR, Part Numbers, wiring diagrams, etc, What brand of batteries?
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 12:57 PM   #4
flm270
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thank you both for your response. Bob i have agreed with your statement from the beginning but can not get the dealer to agree it is something other than the batteries.

Ping. I did not mention the dealer and brand AC system i have because i did not want to give them a bad reputation from my single experience, however, for the sake of finding answers i can do that.

In October my mechanic installed six 8V continental batteries. The cart died twice on me when meter said 75% batter left and i had driven less than 5 miles. Dealer said I should get 20-25 miles doing 20 MPH with my set up. I drove less than 4 miles on trails in the woods mostly doing 5 or 6 MHP. I traveled about 1/2 mile on blacktop during that trip doing 19MPH. Every time i have called the Dealer he has told me i have bad batteries (for 8 years and 5 different sets of batteries) After my mechanic installed the Continental batteries and i had issues, they installed new US batteries. Before i ever drove the cart we charged the batteries, ran Lester discharger test and recharged batteries. I have done that 5 times and each time the discharge time was 100 minutes. After the fifth time, i recharged my batteries. At rest charge state was 54 V after charger cut off. Each time charger was in final charge phase batteries were at 63 to 64V.

So right after last charge on US batteries I drove the cart and got the same results. The second i put the petal to the floor, the batteries sag to 35V for a split second the level out around 47V.

My sejt up is as follows:
2006 Club Car DS.
Club Car Intelliloc ?(intelliiTrac) rearend
i have used every major manufacturer of batteries.
Six 8V US batteries. 118 minute 53 ah rated
Started with Trojan T 875 now using US
HPEVS Acuity to get most accurate battery reading ($250 upgrade)
HPEV AC Motor
600 AMP controller (curtis i believe)
23" tires
6" lift

I have already sent the controller back when all this started but all they did was reflash the firmware. I do not believe this is a firmware issue.

I have tested each battery individually and they all sag to around 6v then recover to around 7.8v

I believe the controller is either improperly configured on has an issue.

Bill at HPEVS says there is nothing that can go wrong with the controller. It either works or it doesn't.

He has offered to let me send the controller back again and he will reflash it. He said he can not load test it on a cart since all his carts have lithium batteries.

My question all along has been, where should good batteries sag to when under full throttle, and where should they recover to?

It is not my intention to talk bad about a dealer, i just want to know what the issue is. They have always taken my calls and talked to me about the issue. I think this is a unusual issue they have never seen. I believe they sell an excellent product. But not everything works perfectly all the time.

Thank you,
flm270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 12:34 AM   #5
HeatWave
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by flm270 View Post
Thank you both for your response. Bob i have agreed with your statement from the beginning but can not get the dealer to agree it is something other than the batteries.

Ping. I did not mention the dealer and brand AC system i have because i did not want to give them a bad reputation from my single experience, however, for the sake of finding answers i can do that.

In October my mechanic installed six 8V continental batteries. The cart died twice on me when meter said 75% batter left and i had driven less than 5 miles. Dealer said I should get 20-25 miles doing 20 MPH with my set up. I drove less than 4 miles on trails in the woods mostly doing 5 or 6 MHP. I traveled about 1/2 mile on blacktop during that trip doing 19MPH. Every time i have called the Dealer he has told me i have bad batteries (for 8 years and 5 different sets of batteries) After my mechanic installed the Continental batteries and i had issues, they installed new US batteries. Before i ever drove the cart we charged the batteries, ran Lester discharger test and recharged batteries. I have done that 5 times and each time the discharge time was 100 minutes. After the fifth time, i recharged my batteries. At rest charge state was 54 V after charger cut off. Each time charger was in final charge phase batteries were at 63 to 64V.

So right after last charge on US batteries I drove the cart and got the same results. The second i put the petal to the floor, the batteries sag to 35V for a split second the level out around 47V.

My sejt up is as follows:
2006 Club Car DS.
Club Car Intelliloc ?(intelliiTrac) rearend
i have used every major manufacturer of batteries.
Six 8V US batteries. 118 minute 53 ah rated
Started with Trojan T 875 now using US
HPEVS Acuity to get most accurate battery reading ($250 upgrade)
HPEV AC Motor
600 AMP controller (curtis i believe)
23" tires
6" lift

I have already sent the controller back when all this started but all they did was reflash the firmware. I do not believe this is a firmware issue.

I have tested each battery individually and they all sag to around 6v then recover to around 7.8v

I believe the controller is either improperly configured on has an issue.

Bill at HPEVS says there is nothing that can go wrong with the controller. It either works or it doesn't.

He has offered to let me send the controller back again and he will reflash it. He said he can not load test it on a cart since all his carts have lithium batteries.

My question all along has been, where should good batteries sag to when under full throttle, and where should they recover to?

It is not my intention to talk bad about a dealer, i just want to know what the issue is. They have always taken my calls and talked to me about the issue. I think this is a unusual issue they have never seen. I believe they sell an excellent product. But not everything works perfectly all the time.

Thank you,
That's a valid question, I would expect someone at the Dealer, Distributor, Manufacturer, level to provide you with an accurate answer?
Or at least another Motor to try out?
HeatWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:48 PM   #6
Bobbob
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have to agree with ping he is an expert on carts. Has built more carts than any body on this site other than Scotty or Dave. It’s not your batteries that are causing the problem. You have proved that by replacement a couple of times. It’s the controller or motor that is the problem and I would lean towards the controller. AC motors don’t generally go bad although it can happen. Your dealer is using the batteries as scapegoat. Time to get a new dealer that will stand behind what he or she sells.

Bobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:44 PM   #7
Purpleharley61
Getting Wild
Club Car

Hi
Did you ever find out what your problem was? I have same problem w 06 cc ds. Full battery pack at 51v and it starts out fast then slows like batterys are dying with in 2 mins to 47v. Then when u get back on and go it does same w same readings. Very confusing.
Purpleharley61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car