lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-24-2020, 07:19 PM   #21
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rear differential has rotated!

Ping eye3 yep just realized housing on mine is aluminum. Permanent weld will not work.
Doupt you could drill and pin housing and have it last since it already failed factory press fit. Pinning would most likely fail also.

Problem is anything that limits axles from twisting. Must allow axles “and” rear housing to travel up and down via leaf spring travel.

A bracket that could be welded to axle tubes,but bolt to rear housing maybe by means of plate across differential cover bolts useing those bolts to secure bracket may work.

Fair means of fab work compared to junk yard rear replacement assuming innarts are the same.

If panhandle axle clamps like pictured above were used,they would still need to be secured to rear housing to make axle tubes housing act as a whole.
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-25-2020, 03:10 AM   #22
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Seems all the answers here skipped the "let's see the diff cover" pics. It was originally "pinned" by plug welds. Let's see how bad that area looks. If that wont be addressed, I'm out. Skip all the advice from "club car" guys, their axles dont work that way at all. Meh, no "real info" that applies to the axle that your cart actually uses, why bother. Or, just listen to guys whose axles have 6 bolts holding their axle tubes, nothing like yours.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:16 PM   #23
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I suspect several people have misinterpreted the problem.

I may be wrong, but it appears to me the cast aluminum differential housing has slipped on the steel axle tubes.

The tubes themselves have not moved, so suggestions on ways to secure the tubes to the leaf springs, or whatever, won't fix the problem.

I'm not a welder by a stretch of anybodies imagination, but I'm pretty sure Aluminum and Steel cannot be welded together, so that isn't an option.

That more or less leaves drilling through the aluminum differential case and steel tubes where they overlap and inserting a pin or bolt.

Might be tricky to keep metal shavings from the drilling from getting into the limited slip differential, but plugging the differential end of the axle tubes (with axles removed) with rags and running a strong magnet through the tubes a few times might do the trick.

Of course, I might be wrong.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:41 PM   #24
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If it were me and I wanted to save the axle, and didn't want to take it apart to find what failed and fix that, ie: replace either the housing or the axle tubes, I would install a bar in line with the axle with bends around the rear of the differential, weld or bolt each end to the lift blocks, or the axle tubes themselves, then extend bump stops of sorts off the top and bottom of that bar that limit rotation of the differential. Doesn't even have to connect to the diff housing, although that would be ideal if there is a flange to bolt to...just needs to be a bump stop that gets in the way of rotational movement of the diff housing in each direction. If there is a flange that can be drilled and bolted to, all the better, only need one such extension between the bar and the housing flange. Just some outside the box creative thinking that may or may not work.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:13 PM   #25
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

This is not going to be a standard fix

It might be worth a call to Textron and see what they have to say.

They might even want to analyze this failure since it is so uncommon ... and will comp you a new differential!

It is certainly worth getting their feedback on the repair or replacement options.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:00 PM   #26
cgtech

Yamaha

It was welded to prevent rotating at the factory. The aluminum center housing will have 2 holes (either on the side, or the bottom). They "plug welded" in the holes to pin the tubes to the center housing. If the holes arent all busted out on your axle, I see no reason you couldnt just do that again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200825-165757_Gallery.jpg (223.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-25-2020, 07:48 PM   #27
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Catech great visual and insight to problem.😊
So holes factory drilled from factory thru housing ,exposing steel axle tubes,then were plug welded ( a built up weld on steel axle tubes enough to fill drilled hole in aluminum housing ) prevented axle tubes from rotating.
If not factory definetlly an option to repair👍
Old 08-25-2020, 07:51 PM   #28
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry meant to say prevent “ housing” from rotating. Not axles since they are clamped to leaf springs.😊
Old 08-25-2020, 08:30 PM   #29
cgtech

Yamaha

That's factory, how they did it. Thats why I was asking for more pics of the "pan side" of their axle.
Old 08-31-2020, 07:30 PM   #30
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastor@southwestbaptist.o View Post
It seems that the rear differential on my EZGO TXT has rotated! I have tried looking at diagrams online but have not been able to determine what keeps it in place on the axle tubes?

Can anyone shed any light on the situation.
Pastor did you ever get this fixed...?

If so how did you resolve this finally?
CartsRFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO