lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
Roll
Not Yet Wild

Default Light kit questions (Noob)

The pics of light kits from different retailers all look the same to me but the prices vary a bit. One kit includes a DC to DC converter and runs about $100 more.

Why would I need a DC to DC converter? Did he mean a DC to AC converter?

With a light kit, am I going to be running my battery charge down much faster? It seems I would since I imagine there is no seperate power source for the lights.

Any cautions, suggestions, tricks regarding getting and installing a light kit?

I am confortable around cars and have done my own repairs for years. (or at least until my time started to mean more to me than the money). :-)

Thanks all,

Roll
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-24-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Light kit questions (Noob)

A DC to DC converter is for EXAMPLE- 48 volt battery pack reduced to 12 volts, or 2 batterys from your pack hooked to a reducer 16 volts reduced to 12 volts WHICH IS A POOR CHOICE.? Yes you would run your battery pack ( cart power batterys ) down faster. You also would have the problem of BROWN OUTS when hitting pedal to change speeds? Head lights take about 10-12 amps, radio and or amplifier take another 5-10 amps depending, horn is almost a dead short and will run from 10-30 amps depending. The use of LED lights would really help as they use a very small amount compaired to bulb lights.
To save yourself many different problems I would install a ( EXTRA 12 VOLT BATTERY ) to run your lights etc.
I use a 12 volt sealed handicapped battery ( UB 12350 ) like I use in my handicapped scooter, cost about $55.00. It can be mounted in any position and is small 71/2"X51/2"X71/2". I put mine in glove compartment until I placed it over my front suspension. I mounted a marine type HD 10 amp power outlet on my dash and charge the battery through it. You could use a regular 10 amp 12 volt auto type charger. I even went further and added a extra solenoid that is hooked to stock club Car key switch allowing me to turn the 12 volt power on and off when not in use. I basicily went all the way and you wouldnt have to do that much unless you want to?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
rcdd
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Light kit questions (Noob)

Is this for a DS or Precedent?......DS is as Old Merc states, and the Precedent is plug'n'play...

I did what was suggested above, and added a battery to the bagwell....ran all the accessories off "another system".....left the cart's power supply alone....
rcdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car