lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-16-2007, 11:38 PM   #1
champy
Not Yet Wild

Default Electric yamaha motor?

This may or may not belong here, but does anyone recognize the following motor? It seems to have an electric wire running into the gear box, and I wonder if it's for some sort of electric clutch (since this rear axle rolls freely when I push it). The specs on the motor (if you can't make them out from the pic) are: 36v, ????RPM's (Decal is scratched), 8000 (MAX SAFE) RPM, 2.2 KW, TIME Rating: 30 Minutes, AMPS 77, AMB Temp 40c, 58C48JB845, made by GE, Has the Yamaha logo across the top (obscured by camera flash in picture). Anyone know what this is, what the Max Safe RPM's refers to (time and voltage-wise) and how to operate the clutch? I know this is out of the blue, but I'd really appreciate any info anyone has. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Web01.jpg (21.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Web02.jpg (23.0 KB, 11 views)
champy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-17-2007, 12:55 AM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: Question about Motor Terminals

Thats a yamaha rear end and yahaha series wound motor...There is no clutch on those rear ends...nor any electric rear end that I'm aware of.

30 minute duty cycle at 36 volts and 77 amps(not sure about the amps) turning 2800 rpms.....you can spin that motor at 8000 but how long you can spin it is a different story......anything more than a few seconds at a time and your pushing it.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 09:57 AM   #3
champy
Not Yet Wild

Cool. Any idea what the wire into the gear box might do? Or what I type of wiring diagram I should be looking for? Thanks.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:10 AM   #4
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by champy View Post
Cool. Any idea what the wire into the gear box might do? Or what I type of wiring diagram I should be looking for? Thanks.
I would like to know where/what that wire does myself....my bro in-law has a G2, I will call him up and ask him if he has that wire on his cart. Can you get a pic of the wire and where it goes in at?

As far as a wiring diagram we have a G2 diagram in yamaha electric...but without the rest of the cart you cant hook it up that way. You CAN use that motor and rear end with any series style controller. The A1,A2, S1, and S2 terminals all do the same thing on series wound motors. So if you have a club car and NO rear end or motor you COULD use that and hook the motor terminals the same as the club car diagram shows.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:42 PM   #5
champy
Not Yet Wild

Ah, whoops. On second glance, that's not a wire. It's a rubber tube of some sort. I wonder if it's for lubrication of the gears. . . I'm glad you said "G2." I know even less about Yamaha's than I do about ClubCars, so that gives me a starting point to look things up. Thanks. Oh: Any idea if the yamaha G2 is going to be a standard 12.5:1 Gear Ratio? Thanks again.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:55 PM   #6
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

It's a vent tube. All differentials generate pressure and release it all the time (thanks Roady ). It needs that for the vaccuum. Make sure there is nothing in it!

If you want to change the gear oil, there is a 17mm (if I remember correctly) drain plug on the bottom of the differential. Drain all the gear oil out, pull the vent tube (entire assembly) out and you'll have a nice, big hole to fill it back up. There is a 10mm bolt that is the full level. Remove it and fill thru the vent hole until oil runs out the 10mm bolt hole. Put the vent cap back in and you're good to go.

Last edited by NO NO NO E-Z-GO!; 06-17-2007 at 02:00 PM..
NO NO NO E-Z-GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 02:01 PM   #7
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: Electric yamaha motor?

Thats a vent tube....as the gears spin they create heat and windage and heat creates pressure....it needs to vent so as not to blow a seal or gasket
Old 06-17-2007, 03:57 PM   #8
champy
Not Yet Wild

That's one of those things that makes sense the moment someone points it out to you.
Any idea about the gear ratio on those things? Standard 12.5:1, you think?
Old 06-17-2007, 04:17 PM   #9
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

The newer electric carts have an 11.34:1 rear end. I would think it would be the same on the older differentials too, but I could be wrong about that. Chances are, if it is different, it's not by much.
NO NO NO E-Z-GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:59 PM   #10
champy
Not Yet Wild

Hmmm. . . interesting. My clubcar motor fits onto the transaxle of this Yamaha like a glove. The ClubCar motor is much newer and in much better condition. It's also a 48v motor to the Yamaha's 36v and runs at 2800 RPM's to the Yamaha's 2450 (I found that number by Googling the serial number, which it turns out I listed incorrectly here: the first "8" is actually a "B"). The Yamaha G2 manuals that I've been looking at on Yamaha's website seem to indicate that the gear reduction is 13.55:1. That seems like an odd number to me, but for now that's what I'm using in my calculations. Has anyone else put a ClubCar motor onto a Yamaha differential? I admit, I was surprised it worked. I had to trade the original 1/4" fine thread bolts for the 1/4" course thread that the ClubCar motor takes, but since the bolt holes on the drive end aren't threaded, it made no difference. I'm just wondering when I'm going to discover some massive reason that I shouldn't do this. Anyway, anyone have any comments on that Gear Ratio, or why I shouldn't run this axle off my ClubCar 48v motor? Sorry this post is a bit scattered, but please let me know if I'm about to blow up my garage. Thanks. In addition, I would love to know what the highest voltage someone has successfully applied to a 48volt motor might be. (Especially if it's a ClubCar motor)

Last edited by champy; 06-18-2007 at 11:01 PM..
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha