lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
v UNO v
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Question Disc Brakes vs. Drum Brakes

I have to replace the brakes on my cart. Drums, pads and spring kit is $139 for everthing new. I plan on lifting my cart with a 5" all sports lift and 23"x12" tires on it.

I have seen people complain about the stock brakes in reguards to braking with lifted carts. I have read on Scottyb's site that the disc brake kit has everything i need for $221 with shipping to replace them so rather then putting money into replacing the stock brakes, i can upgrade them.

So the real questions is it worth the extra $82 dollars to get the Ausco Disc Brakes from scottyb? Is there really a difference? is it better for lifted carts?
v UNO v is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Disc Brakes vs. Drum Brakes

the best part right now, is scotty is having a same on that kit.....its normally $295.

personally, if I was going to do the whole ball of wax....I probably would get that kit. but at the same time....if you are on a budget, a properly set up drum brakes, will stop your cart just fine. I too have a lifted cart, on 23" tires, and has STOCK DRUM BRAKES, and can lock them up.....and my cart can do it as full speed, which is 27 MPH.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
v UNO v
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I am on a budget but i know sometimes the possivle out ways the cost.

The price for the drums is constant so there is no rush. The only concern is that im saving to purchse them and i dont want to have to worry about rushing to get the disc brakes from scotty before the sale is over and i miss out.
v UNO v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Here are 2 reasons why you should go for the brake kit & go for it now.

1. Each disc brake kit includes the HD replacement hubs for ezgo carts. these HD hubs normally sell for $79 each = that's a 159.00 value included in each $199 brake kit. Do the math & the brakes cost $40

2. We are not making any money on these sales. We are doing this as a customer appreciation event.

Paypal sales only. Follow the website directions for ordering. If you call for brakes it will cost a lot MORE
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
Howard Montgomery
Not Yet Wild

I had wore out pads on my cart. Bought factory new ones and installed adjusted. Cart would not stop going down hill just slowed down. Ordered and installed new brake cables mine were old. Still no change in stoping just slowed down on hills. Ordered Disc brake set from Scotty B. it threw my dog out of the seat on first test run. I can stop on a dime up hill or down hill. Set the parking brake and walk away with it on a hill. You need 10" rims or larger to run the Disc brake system. In my book these are a must for safety. Campground Drum brakes are ok. Trails and hills get the Disc brakes.
Howard Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Montgomery View Post
I had wore out pads on my cart. Bought factory new ones and installed adjusted. Cart would not stop going down hill just slowed down. Ordered and installed new brake cables mine were old. Still no change in stoping just slowed down on hills. Ordered Disc brake set from Scotty B. it threw my dog out of the seat on first test run. I can stop on a dime up hill or down hill. Set the parking brake and walk away with it on a hill. You need 10" rims or larger to run the Disc brake system. In my book these are a must for safety. Campground Drum brakes are ok. Trails and hills get the Disc brakes.

Hope your dog gets better soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dog bandage.jpg (4.8 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My mechanical ausco rear disc brakes squealed so bad after a few days I took them off and went back to drum. I never noticed a big difference anyway and I lost ground clearance with the disc verses drum.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #8
beach cart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The ausco squeal is a simple fix with CRC spray white lithium grease. Well worth a little maint. It makes me check under every once on awhile, but like Scotty mentioned, steel hubs included, no worry's with stripped original hubs.
beach cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #9
Thatsme?
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I just sent an email to Scotty B to order disc brakes. I have 8 inch wheels. will these brakes not work for me? 1996 TXT standard Electric 36 volt. Axle # 73069G01, K1696 date, serial # 976822. I have 8 Inch wheels
Thatsme? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #10
beach cart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

As mentioned before 10" wheels needed.
beach cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO