lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
tresavant
Not Yet Wild

Default Salt Water damage 1990 Club Car Electric

My 1990 club car w/ Six-Speed V-Glide accelrator/no controller) was exposed to about two feet of salt water. We live right near the water. The salt water rose at least to the level of the solenoid. I noticed immediately that the solenoid was corroded as well as two wires were disconnected. We were able to jump start by shorting the solenoid and the motor was able to move the cart. Should I assume replacing the Solenoid will get it going again? I've sprayed the undercarriage and wiring with wd2 and silicon in some parts to try to avoid more corrosion until fixed. It's been over two months now. Do you think this cart will survive for any length of time due to salt water exposure if we can get it running on the new solenoid? Incidentally, i found prices for this Solenoid from $24 on the internet to 64.00 but the Prestolite looked like it was compatible with the original. I've downloaded a manual using my serial number from Club Car and the closest model I can see is the Tourall. Is this cart worth fixing if it gets into other repairs? PS. It's a 36v.
tresavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
Xact1
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Salt Water damage 1990 Club Car Electric

tresavant,

A solenoid is cheap, a V-glide is not bad, and you might get away without too much money invested to get it running again.

The frame is aluminum, so hosing everything down (after wrapping the V-glide, solenoid, other electronics) in plastic, will probably wash away most of your problems. Lubrication of all the rest (the front end) and a change of rear end fluid may be in order. Also the brakes might need to be checked out.

Is it worth it? That depends. Is it insured? You might get enough from the insurance to just purchase a newer one. If you do, hit me with a PM and I might pick it up for a reasonable price. I like these older 36V carts!
Xact1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
tresavant
Not Yet Wild

Default Salt Water damage 1990 Club Car Electric

Xact1,
Thanks for the quick reply. I did thoroughly hose it down with fresh water but we couldn't get to it for a couple weeks so that's a wild card. But I've ordered the Solenoid and after installing that will see what she does. Will try to follow up post here with results. Need to get the Solenoid installed ASAP so I don't have to push it all the way up to the car port. Wife is bugging me to get a new one but I kind of like the old Club's. I guess that comes from being a fan of antique cars.
tresavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car