lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-21-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
wbroadway
Not Yet Wild

Default DS Electric Kills 1 Battery Only

Hi all,

Thanks for any help you can give. I have a 2004 DS Electric Club Car 48 volt. The problem I am having is the cart seems to be killing or not charging one battery. The battery is always in the same position. Last/First battery, where the positive lead is connected. All other batteries seem to be OK, but after about 3 weeks or so after installing a new battery, it tests bad in all cells. I have two carts and two chargers, so I don't think the problem is the charger.

I recently replaced the OBC, because of an issue with charger not shutting off and boiling the batteries.

I am baffled as to how one battery in a series could be not charging.
wbroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: DS Electric Kills 1 Battery Only

Did you put a new battery in with a bunch of old ones? and how old are they? And you are sure you have them all hooked up correctly?Where is your charging wire that comes out of the plug hooked up at on the battery pack?
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:57 PM   #3
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Do U have any lights, radio ...etc on this cart ?
Do U own a Volt Meter ? preferable digital ?
How long does the charger stay on before it cuts off ?
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:59 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

My guess is red charger cable connected to battery #5 and #6 is not getting recharged ..... it happens.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:13 PM   #5
wbroadway
Not Yet Wild

Yes, I put a new battery in with some older ones.

The first time I noticed a problem, an older battery would not charge. It was connected to the positive lead from the computer. I replaced it with a new battery in the same position. Within 3 weeks, I noticed the new battery would not charge. I suspected the position to be and issue, so I moved one of the older batteries to the positive lead position and installed a new battery where the older one was. Within 3 weeks the older battery connected to the positive lead would not charge.

The wiring sequence appears to be OK. Positive to negative etc.

The charging wire is connected to the positive lead of the battery next to the battery position where the problem seams to be. Yes, I have a digital volt/ohm meter. Yes, there are lights. I usually charge at night. So not sure how long it takes to shut off. It is always off in the morning though.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
wbroadway
Not Yet Wild

Should I move the charge cable from battery 5 to battery 6?
Old 01-21-2011, 05:26 PM   #7
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

So Take Voltage readings on each battery and entire pack , before and again after charge has completed and been off between 8-12 hours.

Post all here.
If this is a PowerDrive charger working in conjunction with the OBC , the charger should not even come on if U do not have 36 Volts. Which means if all batteries are down and 1 has all dead cells I am amazed it comes on and stays on.
???

PS I just thought of something , since batteries are in series there is no way any one battery going flat could be blamed on charger, motor, controller ...etc. It would have to be the battery itself or if U have added stuff and wired it to that battery ????
this can cause early discharge ???
Old 01-21-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

You will need to charge the depleted battery first and then move the charger wire to #6 battery. Charger may fry your 5 good batteries trying to pull the voltage up on the bad battery.
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:35 PM   #9
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbroadway View Post
Should I move the charge cable from battery 5 to battery 6?
Only if you want to charge all 6 batteries at once. Your cart is miswired. please measure the pack voltage at the cart charge receptacle, right where the charger plugs in from outside the cart. That will confirm the miswired cart.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:48 PM   #10
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
Only if you want to charge all 6 batteries at once. Your cart is miswired. please measure the pack voltage at the cart charge receptacle, right where the charger plugs in from outside the cart. That will confirm the miswired cart.

What he said , give us the precharge readings first and we will go from there.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car