lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
mcbean7
Not Yet Wild

Default Golf Cart Batteries Leaking

Hi All.
My father-in-law has an 2006 EZGO golf cart with a 36V battery system and the Qe charger. Recently, I added a stereo system (head unit and two 4" speakers...nothing fancy) to the cart and tapped into 2 of the 6 batteries for power. The stereo project turned out great.
Anyways, the cart sits most of the time since it's at their vacation home. Recently, I noticed several of the batteries are leaking. These are brand new batteries bought 9 months ago. I have the charger on the cart anytime it's not being used. The charger is supposed to shut off once it reaches full charge and cannot recharge again unless you disconnect and reconnect it.
Questions:
1. The charger is supposed to stop charging once it senses the batteries are full. I do see the LED stop flashing and stays solid green...indicating that it's at full charge. How do I know the charger has stopped charging?
2. Are the batteries being overcharged and boiling the acid? Is this a defective charger problem?
3. The cart sits in a garage. I highly doubt it gets hot enough for the acid to boil...right? I know it gets hot in Arizona, but not enough for batteries to boil...right?
4. Since I'm tapping into 2 batteries from the 6 for the stereo, the two I'm using will drain faster than the other 4. When charging, will the 4 non-stereo batts charge up first, then boil over as the 2 stereo batts reach it's full charge?
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks everyone.
mcbean7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2010, 08:31 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Golf Cart Batteries Leaking

point #4 is a valid concern and the reason why battery manufacturees recommend a DC to DC voltage reducer.

Your water level is probably too high.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:35 PM   #3
mcbean7
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Scotty. I was debating whether to use a voltage reducer but decided to save a few bucks and went without. I'll check the water level to see where it's at.
Any idea how I can check to see if the charger is working properly?
Old 09-15-2010, 10:48 PM   #4
dougmcp
Gone Wild

You'll know the charger is stopped because it doesn't make that humming sound.
My thoughts are if you are not using the stereo that much (more than an hour) the battery tap may be OK.
As Scotty said your battery level may be too high. The level should be no more than 1/4"-1/2" above the plates.
Batteries don;t like to be charged in really hot weather, anything over 120 degrees is too hot for the batteries. In AZ I would charge the batteries in the eve or early morn when it's cooler.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battery Cutaway.jpg (109.5 KB, 9 views)
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:49 PM   #5
rib33024

You need a DMM meter and check your pack volts before you hook up the charger, then when you hook up the charger and turn it on, check the pack volts again and they should be 5-or more volts higher and keep getting higher with the charger on if it's working
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:02 PM   #6
mcbean7
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
You'll know the charger is stopped because it doesn't make that humming sound.
My thoughts are if you are not using the stereo that much (more than an hour) the battery tap may be OK.
As Scotty said your battery level may be too high. The level should be no more than 1/4"-1/2" above the plates.
Batteries don;t like to be charged in really hot weather, anything over 120 degrees is too hot for the batteries. In AZ I would charge the batteries in the eve or early morn when it's cooler.
I didn't realize batts don't like being charged in hot weather. Around here, temps can reach over 120F in a garage easily. Thanks for the good info. I'll start charging at nights from now on.
I'll also take a look at the water level as well.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:51 AM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

since your not gonna use a reducer i would every few months switch radio over to 2 other batts, and than the 2 other, batts........if you leave as is yes its gonna drain them 1st and faster and its going to drag the other 4 down to their level a lot faster.......which means you,ll be buying batts a lot sooner than you want.........if its just for like the radio and lights i would get a decent reducer and put an in-line fuse.............spend 50 bucks now but get a few extra years out of the batteries................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:55 PM   #8
mcbean7
Not Yet Wild

Shadowman,
Thanks for the reply. Can you recommend any reducers for around $50? I remember searching the web and the cheapest I found was $100+. That was one reason I decided to go without a reducer. But if I can get one for $50 I think I will add it and not worry about switching wires around to balance batteries out.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:12 PM   #9
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Mcbean, i hit one sponsor and they had one for $59.
Top of the page click on site sponsors for the guys that
make this forum possible.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:20 PM   #10
mcbean7
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Dooms...I'll check them out.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO