lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-26-2019, 02:59 PM   #1
madtuna187
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default RXV Speaker Placement

I'm still trying to decide on a stereo setup for my new RXV. Ideally, I'd like to get a bluetooth amp with two 6.5" speakers mounted in the body of the cart in front of the batteries (right below your legs). I've seen numerous pictures of carts with speakers in that location but after taking a look at my cart, it seems there is only 2" to 2.5" of clearance. Does anyone have any experience/advice on mounting speakers in this location? Did you have to use shallow mount speakers? Remove the batteries for the install? The selection of marine grade shallow mount speakers is pretty slim.
madtuna187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-26-2019, 03:08 PM   #2
jneubig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV Speaker Placement

The one time I mounted a set there, I used spacers to move them outward a bit. I would highly recommend pulling the batteries if mounting there. A small slip of the drill or hole saw could get rather expensive. I have used the speaker pods from EZGO for all other installs. Puts them in front of you below the storage holes. They angle upward slightly and give much better sound in my opinion.
jneubig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:17 PM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

No experience with that. I've heard a few, and for me, the best place to have them is in the roof. I like mine while driving and when parked. I'd think the front of the cart would block speakers mounted "under" the seat. Swimming pool, bon fire, camp ground, each are a little different as far as what you want/need. I like mine, but the roof isn't designed for that much weight. I'd think mounting them in the "glove box" facing you would also be good, as they are higher, and would be more likely to clear the seat back unobstructed. I've seen folks put subs in the bag well, which looks like they would sound good. If you get Bazooka tubes behind your seat back, then your other speakers could be smaller, as they aren't expected to do deep bass.

I'd think you could use a 1/2" spacer ring to move the speakers away from the batteries. Dunno if this would bother you, as some speaker grills are 1/2" anyway.

I placed my Ex-Ray on my console, so I get time, voltage, speedo, odo, motor and ambient temp in a very visible location, and have a switch to kill it while driving at night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3064.jpg (153.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Top Speed.jpg (263.5 KB, 0 views)
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:45 PM   #4
Newbuggyboy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I like changing the dash and installing them there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190603_215301.jpg (122.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190314_161454.jpg (315.6 KB, 0 views)
Newbuggyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:17 AM   #5
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

In my TXT I mounted between the front and rear seats. I built a small triangular box for the two 6.5s and it works great.

and from the side:

From the back:
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:24 AM   #6
madtuna187
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneubig View Post
The one time I mounted a set there, I used spacers to move them outward a bit. I would highly recommend pulling the batteries if mounting there. A small slip of the drill or hole saw could get rather expensive. I have used the speaker pods from EZGO for all other installs. Puts them in front of you below the storage holes. They angle upward slightly and give much better sound in my opinion.
I really like the speaker pods however the selection of 5.25" marine grade speakers is pretty slim.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:26 AM   #7
madtuna187
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
No experience with that. I've heard a few, and for me, the best place to have them is in the roof. I like mine while driving and when parked. I'd think the front of the cart would block speakers mounted "under" the seat. Swimming pool, bon fire, camp ground, each are a little different as far as what you want/need. I like mine, but the roof isn't designed for that much weight. I'd think mounting them in the "glove box" facing you would also be good, as they are higher, and would be more likely to clear the seat back unobstructed. I've seen folks put subs in the bag well, which looks like they would sound good. If you get Bazooka tubes behind your seat back, then your other speakers could be smaller, as they aren't expected to do deep bass.

I'd think you could use a 1/2" spacer ring to move the speakers away from the batteries. Dunno if this would bother you, as some speaker grills are 1/2" anyway.

I placed my Ex-Ray on my console, so I get time, voltage, speedo, odo, motor and ambient temp in a very visible location, and have a switch to kill it while driving at night.
I like your setup. I have one of the DoubleTake tops so not sure this would work for me.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:51 AM   #8
jneubig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtuna187 View Post
I really like the speaker pods however the selection of 5.25" marine grade speakers is pretty slim.
The pods can be used with 6.5" speakers also. There is enough plastic to trim and have them fit. I used 6.5's in my current setup. The ones I have on my current cart are aftermarket, but install pretty much the same as the OEM pods. Bought them here https://www.ebay.com/itm/Golf-Cart-S...AAAOSwl-BZrF18
Old 06-27-2019, 02:41 PM   #9
madtuna187
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneubig View Post
The pods can be used with 6.5" speakers also. There is enough plastic to trim and have them fit. I used 6.5's in my current setup. The ones I have on my current cart are aftermarket, but install pretty much the same as the OEM pods. Bought them here https://www.ebay.com/itm/Golf-Cart-S...AAAOSwl-BZrF18
Will you send me a close up shot of yours if you have time? Thanks!
Old 06-28-2019, 06:28 AM   #10
jneubig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtuna187 View Post
Will you send me a close up shot of yours if you have time? Thanks!
I'll try to get by there this weekend and take pictures. Cart is stored at my bosses toy box building.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO