lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-09-2019, 09:28 PM   #1
AWKW
Not Yet Wild

Question Where to start? BMS etc...

So - seriously considering going lithium .

Really confused on how to start. Which packs to use and really confused on BMS.. I understand what they are but really don’t know anything about how they are wired in.. aftermarket options?

I have Alltrax 500 controller and DD torque motor from Scotty B so I’m good on that end.

Any help or point to threads appreciated.

Thanks in advance !
AWKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-09-2019, 09:48 PM   #2
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: Where to start? BMS etc...

I was pretty much in your situation when I did my lithium build. My entire post can be found here: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/lithi...ium-build.html and if you read thru it, it should answer most of your questions.

If not, post your questions on a separate build thread under the lithium forum your cart belongs in and I, along with the real experts on this. will answer your questions.

FWIW
DaveTM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:20 AM   #3
AWKW
Not Yet Wild

Thanks so much!

Appreciate it
Old 05-10-2019, 06:01 AM   #4
cmysstailights
Gone Wild

What are you using the cart for determine how many modules you will need. Start there. I did 7 and get about 10 miles under light load.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:39 AM   #5
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
That's one of the best threads I've seen on here in terms of information shared about lithium conversions
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmysstailights View Post
What are you using the cart for determine how many modules you will need. Start there. I did 7 and get about 10 miles under light load.
I agree, how you will use the cart will help determine what size battery pack you will want to go with

You'll find quite a few build threads on here for converting to lithium. There are some very knowledgeable folks on here, and we'll all offer advice. I just finished a build, and trust me, I could not have done it without the help of everyone on here! If you want a good laugh at my lack of electrical knowledge, check out my build thread: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/lithi...ld-thread.html (BMS isn't really discussed in detail until around post #160 or so) I used the same system as DaveTM, but a bigger battery pack.

Things I would recommend figuring out before you buy anything:
What range do you want?
Do you want brand new batteries, or aftermarket salvaged?
Do you want to make your own BMS system, or buy one that is pretty much setup for you?
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:46 AM   #6
AWKW
Not Yet Wild

I love this forum!
Upgrading my controller and motor a couple years ago couldn’t have been done without it.
Lost my original screen name (not sure why - no biggie) bit I’ve been on here off and on the past 4 years or so.

I’d like best possible range and performance as we live in hilly area and on golf course that goes around a lake so long evening cruising is our wish list. With the alltrax 500 and DD torque motor I really like(d) the performance and would like it to be as good if not better.

I guess I need to start with the packs. No preference but seems like leaf maybe the easiest as there are lots of posts and threads with those. DaveTM has the pack I’d like to possibly get. I dunno - lots to think about!
Thanks so much I appreciate all the input and advice
Old 05-10-2019, 09:44 AM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Leaf modules are very easy to work with. I recommend 14 - not 7 for decent range. Number one with lithium is never run them flat! For maximum life you want to keep them between 80% and 20% charge. I charge mine to about 95% and usually recharge at about 25%. I have been running my Leaf pack for three years now. It was very low miles when I got it. Leaf cars are hard on battery packs. Try to find some that are reasonably low miles and they will last a long time in a cart.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:15 AM   #8
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I concur with Volt_AMP that you should really consider going with a 14 module pack. Mine is a 7 module pack and while it does fine for the most part, hunting consist a lot of traveling maybe .5 to 1.0 miles to a spot.....and then sitting in that spot for 3 or 4 hours. Then again, for hunting some critters I move much more than that.

This summer I expect to acquire 7 more modules and go to 14. It's more a matter of "want" than "need". And now that I have confidence in the lithium setup, I won't mind investing in another 7 modules.
DaveTM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:59 PM   #9
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

If range is a concern and you have room in your budget for 14 modules then pull the trigger and don't look back.

It would suck to go through the expense and work of lithium conversion and then have to stress everytime you go out in the evening with the Wife that you are not going to have the voltage to get home or have to cut the evening short.

I get 37-40 miles in my wife's 06 CC precedent with 14 Leaf modules at 18-22 mph on mostly flat paved roads.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
MCJEFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:52 PM   #10
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

I love my 7 module, but as we all are saying, it works great for me and you have to meet your own needs for whatever they are. I have gone 21-22 miles with mine on normal driving and partial load (30-50%). Plus, when I meet up with one of those 14 module guys and fly by with my 60# lighter cart, they just sit in envy....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car