lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2019, 03:32 PM   #1
brinkkl2000
Not Yet Wild

Default Mid 2000 TXT revs high and smokes

Figured I would ask before I tore the engine apart. Working on this for someone else. He brought it to me because it smokes a lot. He has 160lbs+ in each cylinder & valves were way out of adjustment. I have not done a leak down test. I have the back end up on stands to keep the transmission engaged so governor kicks in. As soon as I hit the gas, it revs up to the max. I think I saw 8000 before I shut it down. It does this if I am just off the limit switch, or to the floor. There does not seem to be any rev limiter kicking in. I will also say, as per my other post, I found that he hooked the battery up backwards after winter storage, not sure if that could fry anything or not. What should I look for as to why this is over revving, mechanical governor in the rear end doesn't seem to be working, nor the limiter in the ignitor? I did also pull the carb to check the throttle plate is not missing or stuck open, and it is not. It is smoking too, could he have over revved it and caused damage that would cause smoking?
brinkkl2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2019, 05:44 AM   #2
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Default Re: Mid 2000 TXT revs high and smokes

Free bump, is it over full on oil? lift kit? 160 sounds good, with the key off and stepping on the peddle what does the linkage do at the carb?
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:50 AM   #3
brinkkl2000
Not Yet Wild

oil is spot on, no lift, don't think there any mods. I did find the idle stop screw was turned in far enough that as soon as the engine started it took off to high rpm. I turned it back down, but even at the point were the engine kicks in the rpms hit around 4700. Any lower than that and the engine seems to shut down.
Here is a kicker though, and it very be why I cant control the rpms well, I pulled the carb off and noticed that the carb to heat shield and carb to air filter gaskets were gone. I know that will cause a problem and could even cause the high revving, at least in a 2 stroke. But wouldn't the limiter and or governor catch that any way?
Old 04-11-2019, 10:05 AM   #4
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

I don't know, maybe a linkage problem?, what is the throttle plate doing when the micro switch on the peddle clicks? and does it click near the top? you can throw the idle adjustment screw away or back it all the way out, it's for a different application.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:22 AM   #5
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Some 91's and 92's came with no rev limiter built inside of ignitors. I believe 99% of all ezgo 4 cycle engines had limiters. I don't think you could tell one from the other .

I guess it might be possible that connecting the battery cables incorrect could have messed up the internal rev limiter built inside of ignitor. It would be nice if you had a known good one you could try and see.

I am not sure you would see 8000 rpm's and the engine not come apart. The Rev-Limiter should make the cart shutter at around 4200 rpms' but I don't even like to take a chance and see that high.

These engines are low rpm's engines. They were designed from factory to run from 12 to 15 mph.

The governor inside differential have been known to stick from seal leaking and moisture getting inside. I have been able to make them work by working them back and forth .

I have had to remove the complete unit out and putting some good penetrating oil in them. They don't move far. You can feel with you hand if they are working. With nothing connected they will spring back when you move them.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 12:19 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Just one of the silly things to check, is the cable going from the governor to the carb sticking? It should move freely. If not, the governor may be pulling the carb to WOT while starting, and the cable sticking shoots the revs to the moon, but once you shut it off it relaxes and closes?

No carb gaskets can definitely make it run lean.

Governor sticking in the diff can mess with it too.

IF it's smoking that badly, then it's probably going to need to be torn down and rebuilt anyway. But I'd try and figure out the basic issues and why it's revving to the moon NOW before rebuilding the motor, and try not to risk a newly rebuilt motor firing up and revving into the stratosphere the first time you start it up. That won't be pretty...
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:12 PM   #7
brinkkl2000
Not Yet Wild

It seems like the mechanical governor is alright, it does spring back. Maybe putting the wheels up isn't the best way to test that anyway.

Took the carb apart and didn't find anything odd. If I step on the gas until I hear the switch click, the cart will fire up and run about 4200 rpm and I see no movement of the throttle plate/ linkage at that point. I took the linkage loose and actuated it by hand and I can keep the rpms low, but a difference of 1/4" on the throttle will be the difference between 4k and 6k rpm. Rev limiter is definitely not working.

I saw that 8k and immediately shut it down. Its just strange that none of the safety devices are working properly. Maybe I will try a new ignitor. When the grounds were all energized maybe something inside there fried. It doesn't help that the gentleman bought it and just dropped it off to me saying the previous owner said it was smoking and believed it was a cracked ring. So I have no base line to go from.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:21 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Understood, several of us here enjoy the hobby of reviving/rebuilding carts that were left for dead and haven't run in years, so zero baseline of what you're getting. That's part of the fun :)

If you can actuate the carb throttle by hand and get it to run "right" then that's a good start. I'd have to believe there's something in the governor that's not working right and holding the carb wide open from the sounds of what you're describing (though obviously with this format it's hard to tell since it's not in front of us).

IT also does sound like whatever RPM limiter in the ignitor also is malfunctioning, it should hit throttle cut LONG before 6000rpm. I'd have a hard time believing the engine isn't coming apart at that kind of speed...

Are you sure whatever tachometer you're using is set up correctly? 4000 RPM is about all the engine can really handle, and even that's a bit sketchy for my tastes.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:46 PM   #9
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Jacking it up and running is fine as long as your drive belt is on clutches.
Does this governor have the the spring I am showing in picture ?
Is your governor spring crushed like someone has adjusted it to make it run faster ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0021.jpg (208.4 KB, 0 views)
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:05 PM   #10
brinkkl2000
Not Yet Wild

I think you are on to something there, I backed that spring way off and it seems to be smoothing out. Guess I will keep going that route and see what happens. It is smoking pretty good. On to that problem. The oil level is correct and I see a lot of people saying to verify that and run a compression test. I was always under the impression a leak down test is a better indicator of engine health than a compression test.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO