lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-20-2019, 07:48 PM   #21
agpfl
Wild Gone

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Basic Programmable BMS

Lots of different sources to choose from, just look around for 14s smart bms (or 10s or 12s depending on the number of cells). I did not get mine from Ali because I also ordered a battery charger from the same source. PM me and I will let you know who I ordered from, I am not into advertising websites even though I posted that link. Probably took a month but don't remember, I was not in a rush.
agpfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-21-2019, 10:41 AM   #22
izzybird
Gone Wild

Taylor-Dunn

If you don’t find one from a local seller you like, just order from AliExpress. It takes forever to cross the pond, but they have decent customer support and replacement options as they know there are a lot of others selling cheaper knock offs of a already cheap Chinese BMS. There is some great information on endless-sphere and github regarding these BMS units and there use, along with some info on modding them with better mosfets and such. If I was currently shopping BMS units, I would probably go this route for the money and the ability to cheaply mod it if desired.
izzybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:10 AM   #23
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

I ordered on last Friday from one of their sellers that accepted PayPal. AliExpress charged a $3.33 PayPal fee on the invoice, and gave me a $3.00 new user discount. During checkout, it never even made it to PayPal. It popped up that the BMS I ordered was not available and emptied my cart. I gave up for a second time. I'll stick to eBay.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:23 AM   #24
izzybird
Gone Wild

Taylor-Dunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
I ordered on last Friday from one of their sellers that accepted PayPal. AliExpress charged a $3.33 PayPal fee on the invoice, and gave me a $3.00 new user discount. During checkout, it never even made it to PayPal. It popped up that the BMS I ordered was not available and emptied my cart. I gave up for a second time. I'll stick to eBay.
Dang, that does suck. I’m sure like everything, some have good experience some have bad. I would definitely prefer not to order stuff from them, but I have on occasion.
izzybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:01 PM   #25
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

This may seems like a stupid question, but does the BMS regulate how many amps go to the controller? Some of the things I've read seem like they do, or at least they can do. I have an FSIP 700 amp controller, which I don't use near the capacity of, but it is hunting cart, so I don't want something to limit me to 200amps of output to the controller either.

Also, do these simple or programmable BMS balance cells? Seems like they don't. I haven't found one that does.
MyCousinVinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:40 PM   #26
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

My BMS does not limit current but some do. You have to check on the one you are considering. I have a fuse for short circuit protection and I can program my controller for current limit.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:18 PM   #27
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks. Which one are you using? Does it balance the cells?
MyCousinVinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:27 PM   #28
DaveTM
Gone Wild

This is from the ZEVA BMS16 manual:

The BMS16 will automatically shut down the
battery pack if current exceeds this threshold
(for over 1 second continuously). Note: This
should not replace a physical fuse, but can be
used as a “first line of defence”.
This is considered a serious error which will
require the device to be power cycled to reset.

So, you can set the max current with the ZEVA.

Also, if you have an Alltrax Controller, you can set the controller to the amps it will draw and send to your motor.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:27 PM   #29
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I built my own BMS. Yes it balances the cells but it does not limit battery discharge current. My controller does that - mostly to protect the motor from overheating.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:35 PM   #30
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

There are BMS that do offer this, but that's assuming you run the load through the BMS... If you don't, the BMS can do cell balancing but won't do current limiting. Depending on how the BMS is designed, this may prevent the BMS from being able to cut the load due to low voltage as well.

Someone on this forum had a BMS that operated a solenoid that was responsible for disconnecting the pack so it still had the HV and LV cutoffs without the current limit.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO