lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2017, 07:49 AM   #1
razerface
Not Yet Wild

Default fixing fuel tank inlet neck

Hi, i have a 2004 294 carryall 4x4.

The neck that the gas cap screws on to has cracked (radially) halfway around about .38 down from the top. This lets gas leak out when sloshed around, so i can't fill it up over 1/2 tank, and even then it leaks some. How to fix without buying multi hundred dollar tank?

The plastic on the neck is black, and a separate part from the tank, but permanently fixed somehow to the main tank. I called dealer,,they say buy new tank. I need to find a new neck, or fix this one. Is it plastic weldable? What kind of plastic is it? I hear it won't glue very well.

edit: dealer just priced me a new tank at $265
razerface is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2017, 05:29 PM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: fixing fuel tank inlet neck

I'd try and find a used one. I got lucky a week or so ago when the tank on my '90 cracked, a local cart shop had one and let me have it for $50.

Check out the thread below. Not sure what your tank looks like but I did some infographics last week showing which tanks came on which carts (covers DS carts only, I'm not sure if your Carryall has the same tanks as the DS carts). Maybe you could scavenge one from a DS:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...s-tanks-2.html
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:31 PM   #3
Cavemandrew
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I used JB Weld Plastic Weld on a lawn mower dipstick tube. Was cracked low and spitting oil out like crazy. Cleaned it good with brakeclean scoffed it up with some sandpaper. Still holding over a year now.
Cavemandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:22 PM   #4
justwondering
A Gal with a Cart!
Yamaha

Cavemandrew -- I resemble that remark ()...

JBWeld for plastic is awesome.

I own a 1987 Ford F350 dually (which is a whoooole nother story).
Going down the highway (10 miles outside of town), it blows steam. Pulled over, popped the lid and it spewed and spitup all over the shoulder of the road.

Called a good friend to help me.
He drives 20 miles to come get my husband and myself in 105 degree weather. Drives us to town and we purchased:
-JB Weld for plastic
- container for water which o'reillys let us fill there
- rags
- antifreeze
Drive back to the my truck. Walked down the road til he found an aluminum soda can. He stepped on it and squashed it flat. Mixed the JBWeld and spread it on the top of the radiator.

Seems that type/year of Ford has the plastic topped/metal bottom radiator. The top plastic part had cracked. He spread that JB Weld on there and we waited around a bit for it to cure. Poured in water, more antifreeze.

Started it up and we drove it home (30 miles), back to town (48 miles round trip) to order a replacement, back to town 2 days later (48 miles round trip) to get the radiator, back to town that afternoon (48 miles round trip) to return the radiator -- busted pitcock valve, back to town 2 days later for replacement to the replacement radiator (48 miles round trip) and it held all those miles -- over 200 miles running at 55 to 75 mph on the trips.

So you know it got hot, but never melted, never heaved, never cracked.

I'd try the JB Weld while you look for you 'forever' solution.
justwondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:10 AM   #5
razerface
Not Yet Wild

I have looked for used ones,,no dice. Dealer told me they changed the gas cap to the ratchet type so big strong hands don't break them anymore.

I will be tearing it out in a week or two to find out if I can fix it. Wondering if my new plastic welder can just rejoin the crack using no filler.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:25 AM   #6
Zahmd
Not Yet Wild

my xrt had a similar crack- I suspect they let the weight of a gas can press on the plastic and crack it. I used a torch- and a nail- hammered flat like a butter knife on the end. I heated the nail to red hot and "smeared" or welded essentially the crack smooth. IT was not full thickness - but just enough (maybe 1 to 2 mm) to seal off the tank so it wouldn't leak. A couple points here: practice on some various plastics first- you are only going to get one shot at this- 2. Be very cautious if you have a gas burner- Mine is diesel (but tank was full- so I was pretty nervous even though diesel won't explode like gas) Use your own judgement here on whether to drain tank, or remove and fill with water, whatever you think will keep you out of a burn unit. 3. Clean out the crack- I used brake cleaner (but diesel makes an oily residue- I would think gas might too but not sure) but you want the crack nice and clean- just like metal welding- contaminants will mess up the final repair. When ready- I simply "welded" the crack by touching the red hot nail and smearing the crack around until I got a nice "bead" which was enough to seal off the area and stop my leak. I needed no filler- prep time approx. 25 mins- think this through, get fire extinguisher handy, practice run on a plastic coffee can, whatever, repair time around 25 seconds. Fixed 1 mo ago- still dry and clean- just be careful filling the cart not to let gas cans "rest" on the filler neck-
Zahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:30 AM   #7
rib33024

Here's some tanks. Got to be something here that will work

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/it...4163&catid=578
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:13 PM   #8
Dangerousdan55
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I repaired a generator plastic fuel tank that was leaking at the fused joint where the tank half's were put together. I used a pincel type soldering iron. I unscrewed the pointed tip, took a machine screw, cut the head off and flattened the end. I first I repeatedly jabbed the flat top into the split/crack in the plastic AST to deep fuse the plastic. Then I smoothed it out the top , again using the flat top. No leaks for a year, and the split was on the bottom of the tank.
Also, if you can find some similar scrap plastic you can add more filler to the repair.
Also, I believe Harbor freight has different types of plastic/ ABS rods for plastic welding.
Dangerousdan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:41 PM   #9
razerface
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerousdan55 View Post
Also, if you can find some similar scrap plastic you can add more filler to the repair.
Also, I believe Harbor freight has different types of plastic/ ABS rods for plastic welding.
that right there is the problem. I need to figure out what type of plastic the neck is made from so i can weld it.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:45 PM   #10
razerface
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
Here's some tanks. Got to be something here that will work

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/it...4163&catid=578
The tank is molded to go over and around stuff. It is similar to a DS tank, but longer and comes to a point more in the rear. The fill tube comes out thru the side of the cart. I do not see how to put anything else in there.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car