lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-16-2019, 10:36 PM   #1
agpfl
Wild Gone

E-Z-GO

Default Basic Programmable BMS

I am just wondering if anybody else has used an inexpensive programmable BMS. Over the past year I have built 4 Leaf module based packs utilizing a BMS that can be programmed via a USB cable and has some Bluetooth functionality. I keep seeing what looks like overkill when it comes building the BMS.
agpfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-17-2019, 04:48 AM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Basic Programmable BMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by agpfl View Post
I am just wondering if anybody else has used an inexpensive programmable BMS. Over the past year I have built 4 Leaf module based packs utilizing a BMS that can be programmed via a USB cable and has some Bluetooth functionality. I keep seeing what looks like overkill when it comes building the BMS.
I have seen the overkill as well. Spending way more than required to convert to Lithium. Lower cost Lithium conversions are more appealing to the public. With lower cost Leaf modules available, there should be no reason that a 7 module conversion should cost more than buying a new Lead/Acid pack. The original Lead/Acid 48V pack charger should be fine for most of these conversions if you put the BMS in control of it.

I used a preprogrammed simple 14 cell BMS PCB on my 7 Leaf module RXV conversion. I retained my Lead/Acid charger.

I would be interested in a simple programmable BMS for my 2Five conversion that will use 16 of the 100 A/H GBS NiFePO4 cells.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:44 AM   #3
agpfl
Wild Gone

E-Z-GO

I read your install. Your configuration was even more advanced than what I normally do because you are cutting off the AC side of the charger. You have used relays for interlock and bypass.

I have the BMS cut off power on the DC side of the charger if any cell hits 4.2v, or the pack reaches 58.8. I purchase a new Li-on charger for less than $200 that is programmed to turn off about .5v shy of max voltage. So for a 14cell Leaf pack I have the charger cut off at 58.3. This gives me two different forms of protection from overcharging. My charger is the one that normally stops the charging, but the BMS can shut down charging as well if the charger does not do its job.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:15 PM   #4
izzybird
Gone Wild

Taylor-Dunn

W
Quote:
I read your install. Your configuration was even more advanced than what I normally do because you are cutting off the AC side of the charger. You have used relays for interlock and bypass.

I have the BMS cut off power on the DC side of the charger if any cell hits 4.2v, or the pack reaches 58.8. I purchase a new Li-on charger for less than $200 that is programmed to turn off about .5v shy of max voltage. So for a 14cell Leaf pack I have the charger cut off at 58.3. This gives me two different forms of protection from overcharging. My charger is the one that normally stops the charging, but the BMS can shut down charging as well if the charger does not do its job.
I don’t know what charger you’re using, but a lot of these cheaper Chinese chargers can be easily adjusted to different end of charge voltages if you even slightly know what you are doing. I think charging to 4.1v and never dropping below 3.65v will keep a person in a very safe range and keep balancing to a absolute minimum. There are tons of very inexpensive RC gadgets out there that are very useable on leaf modules as well. I’ve read scores of builds from electric motorcycles to the solar dudes using leaf modules and some go all out while others KISS. I’m keeping it simple.
What BMS are you using if you don’t mind me asking?
izzybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:48 PM   #5
agpfl
Wild Gone

E-Z-GO

Just google 14S smart bms. I used one like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/14S-...794186005.html
Old 01-17-2019, 10:27 PM   #6
brad2388
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Just google 14S smart bms. I used one like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/14S-...794186005.html
What does the bluetooth function give you?
brad2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:50 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

It doesn't appear to have an HMI, or display/touch panel.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:18 AM   #8
agpfl
Wild Gone

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad2388 View Post
What does the Bluetooth function give you?
You can view your cells, protection occurrences, and even modify some parameters.

I hardly ever connect to it, but its there for the occasional spot check of the cells. I use my in-dash ScottyB voltage meter to view my pack voltage to get a sense of when to charge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HTB1k1TedQfb_uJkHFNRq6A3vpXal.jpg (75.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg HTB1Z_XAacbpK1RjSZFyq6x_qFXak.jpg (50.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-18-2019, 12:30 AM   #9
agpfl
Wild Gone

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
It doesn't appear to have an HMI, or display/touch panel.
What is HMI?

Do I really need a display/touch panel? No, operationally it has no effect on the pack. Its not like I had a backlit display for my each of FLA batteries, so why would I need or want one for my Lithium modules? I spend around $120 per leaf module which is a similar price per FLA battery, so why would I over-complicate it with an elaborate battery management system that costs more than the whole battery pack itself?
Old 01-18-2019, 03:09 AM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
What is HMI?
AN HMI is an industry term. Human Machine Interface.
http://bfy.tw/LDEp

Quote:
Do I really need a display/touch panel? No, operationally it has no effect on the pack. Its not like I had a backlit display for my each of FLA batteries, so why would I need or want one for my Lithium modules? I spend around $120 per leaf module which is a similar price per FLA battery, so why would I over-complicate it with an elaborate battery management system that costs more than the whole battery pack itself?
Someone asked why Bluetooth. I answered. Maybe I should have been clearer. So you can use a smart phone, laptop, tablet, anything you already have. Never said you needed it.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO