lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2019, 05:54 PM   #1
orangecart75
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 85 Body Removal?

Anyone have a link to some info regarding taking the body off of an '85? I started today but I think I'm missing some stuff.

I took of the four nuts down each front fender. Removed the handrails and the screws inside the engine compartment. There looks to be four more screws in the back (two on each side) that need to come out too. Is it necessary to remove the rubber trim around the perimeter?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
orangecart75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:21 AM   #2
orangecart75
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 85 Body Removal?

It appears I'm flying solo on this

To the others....

I'll try to document what I did
Old 06-11-2019, 10:39 AM   #3
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

I have an 85 but never tried to take the body off, I assumed it was welded on but if you're finding bolts then keep finding them til it comes off lol..

Sorry, not much help I know.

Just out of curiosity, Why are you removing it?
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:24 PM   #4
orangecart75
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I bought it long ago and the guy I bought it from let his kid have fun with it. Being from TN, his boy spray painted it orange, which has now faded into an orange sherbert looking color. I wanted to take the body off and repaint it.

Funny you posted because I was going to do it in a couple days. I finally finished disassembly. The nose cone comes off without much fanfare. The back body however does not I took everything I could off. The trim, the rear rubber fenders, the engine compartment foam, everything. The floor is welded on as well. There is no way to take the rear body apart. Some folks may have known this but no one chimed in so I proceeded.

The plan now is to take a pressure washer to it and clean it thoroughly. I've got to do some minor body work and welding before priming it but I knew that was coming.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:25 AM   #5
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Allrighty!! I was right this time WooHoo lol....

I've painted mine 4 times now in the last 20 years, The last time was 2 years ago and will be the last time. But yeah I've never taken the body off to paint
Old 06-19-2019, 11:17 AM   #6
rib33024

The rear fenders come off and the metal around the battery area, it all unbolts and comes off. Here's a picture of one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoal82 View Post
The rear fenders are not welded on.
They bolt on and off
I do not know of any aftermarket body's for them.
Their is a member or 2 on here that has put a medalist or txt body on the front.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...rear-body.html

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:17 PM   #7
orangecart75
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I'd be interested to know how. Maybe there's something underneath I'm missing I did pressure wash it today though. It cleaned up fairly well but you can tell the PO did not prep well. The paint is just flaking off and in some cases coming off in large pieces.

I'd love to get those rear fenders off though. One has a wicked dent that will need to be filled.

While I've got your attention, does anyone have any tips for cleaning up the black rubber trim. The PO has orange overspray all over it. I used the pressure washer and it got some of it off but not all. Maybe lacquer thinner?
Old 06-19-2019, 08:35 PM   #8
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

That black trim is replaceable, plus you can add some really cool fender flares that fit onto the same track as shown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170817_183614.jpg (431.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170817_104206.jpg (225.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170817_181559.jpg (425.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170817_181730.jpg (395.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-19-2019, 08:48 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Get clean strip aerosol furniture stripper. It's super easy to apply, and will take the paint right off no problem. Just spray it, let it sit for 15 minutes and then blast it with a pressure washer. I've stripped entire golf cart bodies down to bare plastic in a half hour.... most of it spent just watching it bubble up with a cold beer :)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:26 PM   #10
orangecart75
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
That black trim is replaceable, plus you can add some really cool fender flares that fit onto the same track as shown.
I'll be reusing it. I'm a pretty big cheapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Get clean strip aerosol furniture stripper. It's super easy to apply, and will take the paint right off no problem. Just spray it, let it sit for 15 minutes and then blast it with a pressure washer. I've stripped entire golf cart bodies down to bare plastic in a half hour.... most of it spent just watching it bubble up with a cold beer :)
Thanks, I'll check it out
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO