lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-19-2022, 04:01 PM   #1
webn4ever
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 95 Medalist, worth upgrading?

I've recently acquired a 95 medalist 4 caddy from my grandparents and am trying to determine what the break point is, for either trading in for a new/er cart or upgrading parts.

Overall, the cart is in great shape (minus my grandfather's customization of several turn/brake/running lights. Discussion for another time). There is very little rust on the frame and only a small spot in the battery framework, in which corrosion has caused a hole.

Best I can tell, the entire driveline is all original, excluding a replacement of main cables that were replaced with 6-gauge welding wire. I was warned that it was extremely slow going up hill and reading other posts from here, it is definitely the original motor and controller that is the cause.

If I keep the cart, I know I'll be looking at replacing the following to make it operational for me.
  • Motor
  • Brakes
  • Springs
  • Tires
  • Controller
  • Lights (switch to LED from halogen/incandescent)

My end goal would be to have a cart that is capable of maintaining ~20 MPH and clearing some tall grassy fields, but don't need it to be a high lift cart.

Would you keep it and make the upgrades to bring it up to current technology or sell it/trade it for a new/er cart?
webn4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-20-2022, 07:23 AM   #2
binder49
Gone Wild

Default Re: 95 Medalist, worth upgrading?

On my Medalist. I upgraded to an Alltrax XCT400DCS controller, heavy duty solenoid, all cables to 2 gauge including the cables from the controller to the motor.. I also installed a 4 inch lift with 20 inch tires. I am running the stock motor. It will run about 24 mph, and climb some pretty good hills with no problem.
binder49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 09:05 AM   #3
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

If you're happy with the overall condition of the cart, it's probably going to be cheaper to do upgrades and have the drivetrain that meets your expectations. You got the cart for free so why not? Speed and torque can be added to any cart, start with a plan and end goal. It will likely cost you more money for a newer fancier cart. Plum Quick will likely be able to do a Bandit upgrade on your motor and is the best bang for your buck. It will give you 25% more torque and about 3 mph. Convert to 48 volts (new batteries, solenoid and controller) and you'll get more of both. If you're handy with tools it can be fun and rewarding to build this project!
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 09:47 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The Medalist was the first cart to utilize the TXT platform which Ezgo still uses today. The Medalist came in 2 flavors. DCS sepex drive and series drive.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 10:08 AM   #5
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Considering the upgrades you're planning and if you decide to keep the cart I would suggest checking out the Navitas AC (a modern drive) upgrade since it's everything you could possibly want or need. Everything you're planning on is in one package including on the fly adjustability, Bluetooth and a switch for F/R. All you need is 6-8 volt batteries, upgrade cables to #2 and a new 625805 48 volt harness and a solenoid. Plum Quick can offer a very favorable price and the installation is very easy. Reliable and no brushes or magic dust.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 07:08 PM   #6
webn4ever
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm just getting started into this, so I'm trying to figure out the best direction. Right now, I'm probably going to stick with the 36-volt configuration since the batteries are brand new, and the charger is somewhat newer (guessing within the last decade) and for having a maintainer for that voltage.

I'm concerned about upgrading without replacing or re-winding the original motor. I know things were built much better then, but I don't think a 27-year-old motor is going to handle 400+ amps at it for long.

I know the current motor can handle some power, because on a hill I can floor it and it has the torque, but it doesn't maintain it and I end up probably doing around 5 to 7 MPH.

Tires - I'm currently sitting on 18" Cragar that have reasonable tread but are suffering from some major dry rot and sidewall cracking.

What are some good places to get parts from? I need to start getting some prices together so I can budget and plan out this winter project.
webn4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 12:34 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The stock motor can handle the 400 amp controller for a long long time. Controllers do not send power. They allow flow. So the motor is only going to get as much amperage as it can draw whether you use a 400 or a 600 amp control.
All electric motors slow under load. The motor in your cart produces it maximum torque at it's slowest speed. The faster it goes the less torque it produces. When you come to a hill it must slow until the torque produced matches the load.
48v will induce the stock motor to produce more torque and speed. You can add 2 more 6v anytime you are ready for a voltage upgrade.
As for parts outlets, visit the BGW Sponsor page to find what you need.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 09:10 AM   #8
Sideways
Gone Wild

I upgraded my 94.5 Medalist (series) to 48v about 6 yrs ago keeping the stock 36v motor and have had 0 issues with the motor. (knock on wood)
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 07:17 PM   #9
bobbycason
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You can also upgrade the body too if you want. Mine was missing the plastic nose so I put a 2014 front on mine.
bobbycason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 09:58 PM   #10
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I am in the process of upgrading a 1995 Medalist. Gas man trying to be a sparky
trig123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO