lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-10-2024, 08:31 PM   #1
MCTX281
Not Yet Wild

Default I need some advice about batteries

I've been reading the posts about the lithium batteries and EMB issue, my kids and wife use the cart the most and the thought of the chance a lockup happened to any of them is keeping me away.

Last year, I bought a used 2020 i40L with the Trojan T-875s. The batteries have been neglected and are on their way out.

Unless there is a safe and reliable solution with the EMB, what are my options?

6 Trojan T-875s or T-890s?
or
4 of some brand 12volt that is AGM or Gel?
or
Something else I don't even know about?

What would y'all do if not moving to lithium? I appreciate any and all advice and respect the wisdom in this forum. Thank y'all.
MCTX281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-11-2024, 09:11 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: I need some advice about batteries

First issue first. Battery neglect. Any type of battery you choose will need to be maintained.
LA batteries need regular use, charging, watering, and connection cleaning.
Lithium battery will need only use and recharging eliminating the watering and cleaning chores.
Lithium is easier to live with and could save you $ over the long haul if you are blowing through LA batteries. My advice is don't bargain shop Lithium battery. Be sure you get a large capacity quality system. One gold standard brand is Eco Battery. We have had great success with their 105 AH pack in 36 and 48 volts.
https://www.cartsunlimited.net/eco-b...ium-combo.html
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 01:22 PM   #3
MCTX281
Not Yet Wild

I am really leery of the EMB lockup possibility with Lithium, as much as I want to go that route. Is there anything about the Eco platform that mitigates that risk?
MCTX281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 03:38 PM   #4
derelicte
Gone Wild

Lead acid batteries can fail too. There are more wires that can break or come loose. If anything they have more failure potential.

I think the concern is unfounded. I have a 105ah ecobattery and I'd never consider going la again.
derelicte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 03:45 PM   #5
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by derelicte View Post
Lead acid batteries can fail too. There are more wires that can break or come loose. If anything they have more failure potential.

I think the concern is unfounded. I have a 105ah ecobattery and I'd never consider going la again.
as someone who loves lithium and has built many packs I have to say I dont think this is really true. the BMS and all its connections as well as the specific tolerances of the cells both in voltage and temp make the lithium packs more complicated.. they still have more advantages than lead acid but to say lead acids wiring is more complex is false.. lots of bms leads and a busbar between 16 cells vs a 48volt lead acid pack only having what 5 bussbar cables?
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 04:12 PM   #6
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

I think the Eco Battery recommendation is a sound one, as is Scotty’s advice about not cheapening out when going to Lithium.

Yes, there have been incidents of EMB lockups but usually with cheaper batteries that cannot keep up with the current demand of the cart or a brand that has had quality issues. Eco Battery now have a proven record in quality, reliability and service. Buy a quality battery, teach you family to keep an eye on the SOC meter, and the consequences of not doing so, and you’ll never look back.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 09:10 PM   #7
EcoChandler
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTX281 View Post
I've been reading the posts about the lithium batteries and EMB issue, my kids and wife use the cart the most and the thought of the chance a lockup happened to any of them is keeping me away.

Last year, I bought a used 2020 i40L with the Trojan T-875s. The batteries have been neglected and are on their way out.

Unless there is a safe and reliable solution with the EMB, what are my options?

6 Trojan T-875s or T-890s?
or
4 of some brand 12volt that is AGM or Gel?
or
Something else I don't even know about?

What would y'all do if not moving to lithium? I appreciate any and all advice and respect the wisdom in this forum. Thank y'all.

Hey Everyone, I probably need to go ahead and make a post about this. But Eco Battery has the firmware in place, today, that resolves this issue.

We have an integration done that makes the EMB issues non existent, a low power limp mode, followed by firmware that allows the cart just enough juice upon dying to not let the EMB lock up so you can tow the cart home with no issue.

If you go with Eco Battery, and have this install done at a Icon dealer, they have the firmware and integration for this solution. If anyone needs help with this, please reach out via DM and I will assist.

Thanks guys, EcoChandler
EcoChandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 03:47 AM   #8
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

That’s excellent
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 06:21 AM   #9
derelicte
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoChandler View Post
Hey Everyone, I probably need to go ahead and make a post about this. But Eco Battery has the firmware in place, today, that resolves this issue.

We have an integration done that makes the EMB issues non existent, a low power limp mode, followed by firmware that allows the cart just enough juice upon dying to not let the EMB lock up so you can tow the cart home with no issue.

If you go with Eco Battery, and have this install done at a Icon dealer, they have the firmware and integration for this solution. If anyone needs help with this, please reach out via DM and I will assist.

Thanks guys, EcoChandler
Can this update be applied to older batteries?
derelicte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 08:30 AM   #10
EcoChandler
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by derelicte View Post
Can this update be applied to older batteries?

Yes, as long as its gen 2 battery, which I am sure you have
EcoChandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon