lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha > Lithium Yamaha

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-24-2022, 07:32 PM   #1
Mpk200
Not Yet Wild

Default Lithium install

Yamaha drive 2018 48 volt

Just waiting for my 48 volt 98ah lithium battery to arrive.

The lithium kit comes with a new charger which is doesn’t use the receptacle on the cart.

Im installing the battery myself ,with my research a lot of the installs talk about disconnecting a cable from the receptacle and the obc and attaching direct to the battery.
My understanding is i dont need to do any of this and just need to connect the large positive and negative off the old batteries to the new lithium battery.

Is this correct?

Thanks
Mike
Mpk200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-24-2022, 08:13 PM   #2
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Lithium install

Not exactly.

You won’t need to do the obc bypass as that’s for Club Cars but you should disconnect the stock charging port to prevent accidental charging via the original charger.

Cheers
Pat
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:22 AM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You have a couple options for the charging receptacle. I have my charger remote and I transferred the cable from my old charger to my Lithium charger so that I can use the original receptacle to charge. If you mount the charger onboard, you can change the receptacle to one with a 115V plug in it.
I have two Yamaha drive carts with Lithium (first self built 6 years ago) and they share a charger so I like it remote. I favor remote chargers so that the charger isn't subject to the vibration it gets riding around mounted in a cart. My charger really isn't designed for that kind of life but some are more robust.
I ended up ordering custom cables to connect my Lithium packs. I replaced all of my cables with 2 gauge with modified lengths for the battery cables. Lithium packs stay nice and clean - no battery acid corrosion! It's nice to have nice new clean cables.
Yamaha carts do not have anything like an OBC that requires bypassing. Only thing you have to do is handle the reducer for the lights if you don't already have one. My carts both already had a 48v to 12v reducer that works fine with my Lithium pack even though the voltage is a bit higher. (58V max vs about 51V for FLA)
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 02:34 AM   #4
Mpk200
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your reply’s.

So if im not planning on using the receptacle this can just stay as is and i will just tape up the old wires that come of the battery.
Im not using anything that requires 12 volt at the minute.

So basically its the large positive and the main negative with the positive and negative from the remote charger that has a anderson plug connection.
When i need to charge use the remote charger and just plug anderson to anderson plug to charge.
No wire to disconnect from the OBC?
Once i get a 48volt reducer i then connect the negative and positive to the lithium battery.

Sounds pretty easy.
Old 09-27-2022, 05:55 AM   #5
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Correct.
Old 10-06-2022, 01:17 AM   #6
Mpk200
Not Yet Wild

Just installed the lithium battery pretty easy install hardest part was taking the old batteries out.
Just out of interest the large negative terminal had 4 cables attached (main negative , the charging port negative and 2 small gauged cables anyone know what these are for?
On the positive was only 2 the main one and the charging port positive.
The carts a 2018 drive and does have 2 usbs but it doesn't have a reducer anywhere.

Also the charging receptacle has 3 cables coming out of it + - and a smaller gauge red wire which goes into the wiring loom somewhere .

The company i purchased the lithium battery and charger have said I could just cut the old charging plug and connect the wires to the new charger and just plug it in like my original one does this sound correct?
Thanks
Old 10-06-2022, 05:22 AM   #7
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpk200 View Post
The company i purchased the lithium battery and charger have said I could just cut the old charging plug and connect the wires to the new charger and just plug it in like my original one does this sound correct?
Thanks
You could, but I wouldn’t. Someone may inadvertently plug a standard Lead Acid charger in, and you don’t want that.

I can’t help with the other questions as I don’t have a Yamaha.
Old 10-06-2022, 08:30 AM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I do use the original charging plug with both of my G29's. I see no issue with it since I am the only one to charge it. It's a high current plug and it's there. I don't like mounting the charger in the cart. My charger isn't designed for that kind of environment. I actually only have one charger for both carts. We use both carts regularly but we only have to charge them after three rounds of golf so one charger is sufficient. I have an Ebike charger as a backup. It does 5 amps so it will work if my other charger craps the bed.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 09:15 PM   #9
Scobra1
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I actually transferred the stock cable to the lithium charger like several of the others. I am the only user and the charge Jack is already there and looks great. I do understand the problem if a lead acid charger was plugged in but it can’t happen in my case.
Scobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 06:51 AM   #10
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Another option depending on use, I have a 36v cart im building and will be installing a 200ah lifepo4 battery. instead of or in addition to the traditional charger route I purchased a 44"x66" 355w 39v solar panel to use as a roof panel and a $60 boost mppt charge controller. This will charge my 42v battery pack with roughly 12amps while in the sun. I know this isnt the best solution for everyone but being mine is mainly used at a campground this will keep the battery topped off and extend battery life in my situation plus I wont have to worry about being stranded anywhere on a sunny day as 30 mins in the sun will give me a couple miles of extended range. These large panels are available pretty cheap as many remove and replace them with newer more powerful panels..
augiedoggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha > Lithium Yamaha