lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2022, 09:13 PM   #1
Chris_feldk
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Yamaha G1 Speed Low Top Speed

I had recently got my g1 running and it seems to run pretty good. I am wondering if there are any ways to speed it up, i have put a longer screw in the governor spring and jetted the carb. I have a tachometer installed and it revs near 6000 rpm and gets only about 14 Mph i believe i have 18 inch tires as well just really wondering if there is a way i can speed it up. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated, Thank you!
Chris_feldk is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2022, 09:28 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Yamaha G1 Speed Low Top Speed

Check your clutch operation. Worn clutches can degrade performance in major ways. After all, they are what transfers engine power to motive force.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 01:36 PM   #3
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Cp is right, also check that belt is not to long(stretched) or worn (to narrow).
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 01:45 PM   #4
Chris_feldk
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

It also seems that the clutch and belt get extremely hot and is even uncomfortable to just touch the belt. I might end up changing it. I'll let you guys know!
Old 09-17-2022, 08:41 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

If you have heat on the belt, that means it's slipping. Could be a belt issue or clutch issues. Make sure you get a "OE" quality belt, I've never had good luck with cheap ebay or amazon belts.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 08:45 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCEvBGT8twM

This video explains clutching and how it should work so you know what to look for
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 06:22 PM   #7
Chris_feldk
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
If you have heat on the belt, that means it's slipping. Could be a belt issue or clutch issues. Make sure you get a "OE" quality belt, I've never had good luck with cheap ebay or amazon belts.
I believe I have the original belt that came with it or might have only replaced once i will buy a OE one and install it.
Old 09-20-2022, 09:41 AM   #8
Curt-IA
Not Yet Wild

The OEM Yamaha belt is only a few dollars more than the cheapo amazon/ebay ones. I would definitely get the OEM, like they said the belt makes or breaks the overall performance of the clutches. If it is too long or narrow it's like trying to start in 3rd gear in a 5 speed vehicle, and you never reach top speed either, really hampers performance.

You can make sharpie marks on the primary clutch sheaves and see how much of it rubs off after a top speed run. That shows you how far the belt is travelling up the sheave.
Curt-IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 07:04 PM   #9
Chris_feldk
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Alright guys, I took a look at the old belt and it was worn down terribly. i bought a 40 dollar one off of golf cart king .com. And installed it, it accelerated quicker and had higher top speed with a lot of load on it but. it still only went 14 mph.
is it the clutch? or something else? thanks!
Old 09-27-2022, 08:35 PM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Most carts top speed with the governor is 12-15 mph. If it had a load on it I'd say 14 is pretty average. If you modified the governor you should get more top speed. Are you sure it's spinning at 6000 rpm? How do you know the rpm is correct? Could the setup on the tach be incorrect? Most tachs I've set up with a 2 stroke needed a special setting. With stock tires at 6000 rpm you should be over 20 for sure.

If the engine is truly spinning at 6000 rpm then you are getting some major slippage in the clutches or they aren't fully shifting.

Take a black sharpie marker and draw lines on the clutch sheaves from center to the outer edge. Take it for a ride as fast as it will go. Stop and look at the lines on the sheaves, see if they are worn all the way off or just worn partially. That will tell you how far your clutches are shifting out.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
speed governor
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha