lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha > Lithium Yamaha

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2022, 09:28 PM   #1
aroden15
Not Yet Wild

Default Weird issue after lithium swap. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have a 2014 Yamaha drive G29. Stock controller and I believe solenoid but have t pulled it out to truly check if the solenoid is oem. A couple weeks ago I installed an Eco Battery 48v 105Ah kit. Everything went smooth and the it’s awesome except for this weird issue. If I sit with the key off for an extended period of time the cart won’t move when I turn it back on. It is just dead in the water unless I turn the power on the battery off and back on. My wife parked it last night and accidentally left the key in it and on. Hopped in it today and it took off perfectly. I have 53-54vdc coming out of the battery even when it won’t move so I don’t think it’s an issue with the battery’s output. Has anybody had anything similar or have troubleshooting tips? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
aroden15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2022, 08:37 AM   #2
Eco Battery
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Weird issue after lithium swap. Any help is greatly appreciated.

How long are you talking when you say extended period of time? If left idle for several days the battery will go into sleep mode to conserve power. It only takes about 20 days for a cart to run a 105Ah battery dead if the tow/run switch is left on all the time.

If you have any concerns you can always call, email, or PM us for any questions. We are always ready to help if necessary.
Eco Battery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 08:47 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco Battery View Post
How long are you talking when you say extended period of time? If left idle for several days the battery will go into sleep mode to conserve power. It only takes about 20 days for a cart to run a 105Ah battery dead if the tow/run switch is left on all the time.

If you have any concerns you can always call, email, or PM us for any questions. We are always ready to help if necessary.
20 days is not very long. How long for a 72Ah pack? And what is drawing the pack down at what seems to be an alarming rate for Lithium.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 12:38 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I'm surprised too. With the key off, the cart should draw minimal power. I do disconnect my battery if I am leaving the cart for more than a week or two. Lithium self discharge is very low so they can sit for a long time if there is no current draw on them. Some BMS do draw some current even when the cart is off. Mine doesn't.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 01:47 PM   #5
aroden15
Not Yet Wild

I contacted Dallas at EcoBattery. He was definitely willing to help and offer some steps for troubleshooting, but he admitted he has very little knowledge on Yamaha's.

I definitely need to do some research on troubleshooting these things because this is the first cart I have owned. I have also never needed to work on it due to not having any previous issues. I feel it is strange that this never happened until swapping the battery, but I am not blaming the battery. It could just be a coincidence. A couple quick questions for the experts in here. When you press the gas pedal, does it go through the controller first and then the controller gives the signal to the solenoid? When the cart is acting up, the solenoid does not click when pressing the gas. After cycling battery power, the solenoid clicks and we can drive all we want with no issues. Last night I did put my meter on the back side of solenoid (+) and the controller (-) coming from the battery and it showed 44vdc without the gas pedal pressed. Not sure if this a worthless check or not, but thought I would throw that out there. Once again, if you have any suggestions or troubleshooting advice please let me know. I am open to anything to help further my knowledge on these carts.
Old 09-13-2022, 02:35 PM   #6
tkj1
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Sounds like the controller to me if it still stock.
tkj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 02:47 PM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Yes - the controller energizes the solenoid when it sees the throttle switch. The stock Moric controller is prone to failure. I would recommend replacing it with an Alltrax controller rather than another OEM one.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 03:23 PM   #8
aroden15
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the responses. It is actually the battery that is the problem. I have a replacement on the way from EcoBattery so hopefully that will fix it. It seems as if the BMS will "go to sleep" at random times. I have actually caught it while messing with the cart. All of a sudden the battery meter will cycle power for no reason. After that the cart will not move. Sounds like they have a new software to cure this problem. It also sounds like there is possibly an app being created so that in the future the customer can update the software from their phone when needed.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha > Lithium Yamaha