lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
txstringbender
Not Yet Wild

Default Welding on my cart

I want to build some parts (grill guard) in place on my buggy, but I have heard of people doing so and messing up their electronics. So what all do I need to unhook to make sure I don't have this issue?
txstringbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-12-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Welding on my cart

Welding puts a positive charge into the steel used as a ground. So its the ground wires you need to be concerned with. Batt. ground 1st.
would be best if you could fab and weld off cart, then bolt on your component just to be safe.
I weld by just disconnecting the ground wire from battery and never had a issue.
But you do run the risk of blowing something. If you have a central ground for components unhook it.
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:55 AM   #3
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

If you weld on cart, place weld ground conductor/connection as close to weld point as possible . . . the CC frame is not utilized as a ground for any electronics, however the electronics are mounted to the frame . . as previously stated, disconnecting battery pack is advisable . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:24 AM   #4
txstringbender
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
If you weld on cart, place weld ground conductor/connection as close to weld point as possible . . . the CC frame is not utilized as a ground for any electronics, however the electronics are mounted to the frame . . as previously stated, disconnecting battery pack is advisable . . .
Thats great. I will just need to fit and tack weld my parts in place, but then take them off and weld them up, off the cart. I just don't wanna blow something.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:51 AM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

disconnect the main pos and neg battery cables...............and if its feasible i would take the controller out of the cart just to be safe.....i think someone here just went thur this and might have junked their controller..................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:57 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

On the other hand there are guys who frequently weld on carts without disconnecting anything and they seem to get away with it, so ....... if you are the cautious type disconnect and if not have at it..... I worry more about damage or explosion from the sparks myself. Wet towels and welders blanket are good insurance.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

Sensitive electronics can react to welding differently. Sometimes there is no effect, other times something gets fried. I've dealt with this issue many times on large equipment with PLC controls or computerized ignition systems.
If you must weld on the frame, I would recommend disconnecting the batteries and controller plus as already mentioned. Place the welding ground clamp as close as possible to what is being welded.
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:04 AM   #8
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Stringbuilder, how did the welding go? Just found a busted weld on my rebuild in the front end at the top where my windshield frame mounts. Now I have to find an aluminum welder. I will unhook the batteries. Did you pull the controller?
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #9
txstringbender
Not Yet Wild

I completely built my bumper and winch mount OFF the cart. I was just to scared to weld it in place. It turned out nice I think. I'll post pics soon.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:02 AM   #10
txstringbender
Not Yet Wild

He's the pics of my bumper that I built.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-97-cc-ds.html
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car