lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-17-2011, 09:05 AM   #1
Gouda
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Charging problem

Hi;

First post, looking for some advice. We have a 05 Electric Precedent. It has ran perfectly since new. It is stock except for head and tail lights, turn signals and 4 way flashers. Those were on it when we bought it new. Now it will not charge, the charger seems dead, it used to sort of kick in when plugged in and the meter would show the charge current. Now nothing happens. I can charge the 4 batteries individually with a automotive charger and everything works properly, it still has plently of range so I believe that batteries are ok. Do I need a new charger? or? Problem started when we were away from home for a couple months, I had left it plugged in during that time, like I had been doing since it was new.

All help is greatly appreciated.
Gouda is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-17-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Default Re: Charging problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouda View Post
Hi;

First post, looking for some advice. We have a 05 Electric Precedent. It has ran perfectly since new. It is stock except for head and tail lights, turn signals and 4 way flashers. Those were on it when we bought it new. Now it will not charge, the charger seems dead, it used to sort of kick in when plugged in and the meter would show the charge current. Now nothing happens. I can charge the 4 batteries individually with a automotive charger and everything works properly, it still has plently of range so I believe that batteries are ok. Do I need a new charger? or? Problem started when we were away from home for a couple months, I had left it plugged in during that time, like I had been doing since it was new.

All help is greatly appreciated.

I'm attaching a Charger manual with a troubleshooting guide. Look in section 6, page 6-10 for the Troubleshooting guide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charger System for Precedent.jpg (195.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg TESTING PICTURE.jpg (232.6 KB, 13 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Club Car Chargers[1].pdf (5.29 MB, 12 views)
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

check the fuse on the charger, check the breaker on the charger, check the 2 fuses behind the charge receptacle on the cart. one is clearly visible, the other is in a gray fuse holder. if all fuses check out, i would probably reset the OBC followed by a relay bypass.
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:01 AM   #4
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
check the fuse on the charger, check the breaker on the charger, check the 2 fuses behind the charge receptacle on the cart. one is clearly visible, the other is in a gray fuse holder. if all fuses check out, i would probably reset the OBC followed by a relay bypass.
-sj

A Precedent doesn't have a fuse on the charger nor on the charge receptacle. There is a fuse inside the charger and the Powerdrive has a breaker on the front face.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0998.jpg (212.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 07-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

ahhh.... my bad! thanx.
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:43 AM   #6
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
ahhh.... my bad! thanx.
You are correct on all the other IQ carts like the DS... see the image below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charge Receptacle.jpg (180.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 07-17-2011, 10:50 AM   #7
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Gouda, I had the same thing happen not long after getting my cart and power drive 2 charger. There are several things you can check but my issue turned out to be a bad relay on the charger. This is the part that clicks and begins the charging a couple seconds after you plug the charger into the cart. You should follow the troubleshooting steps to diagnose your issue, specifically, but be aware that there are repair kits available for the charger that have common parts that fail and they aren't very expensive.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car