lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-03-2021, 07:46 PM   #1
Hkspwrsche
Gone Wild

Club Car

Exclamation 2004 CC DS IQ not charging?

First time it was warm enough since putting it away for winter. Unplugged the charger and switched to run then switched reverse on. Battery light came on as I backed up. Check pack voltage with magazine disconnected and I’m at 49.5.
Checked the batteries and topped up the distilled water. Plugged into the charger.

After plugging back in, no start up or buzz from charger. Check outlet and it’s got power. Unplug all. Plugged charger back in and still nothing. Seems my charger is not working. What should be my next step? Any test for the charger besides the unplug reset? Should I be shopping new chargers?
Hkspwrsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-03-2021, 07:50 PM   #2
1970buick
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2004 CC DS IQ not charging?

Just for fun try plugging charger into wall receptacle then into cart, in that order. Mine had a habit of not kicking on if I plugged it into cart first.
1970buick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:51 PM   #3
1970buick
Gone Wild

And make sure key is in off position
1970buick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:55 AM   #4
Hkspwrsche
Gone Wild

Club Car

Key is always out and cart set to tow before plugging in.

Tried unplugging for 30 min. Then plugged it into the wall. Plugged into cart. Still nothing. Guessing the charger has gone bad.

Next steps: locate test procedures for components? I recall a fuse and things inside. I should upgrade the charger if I can’t figure it out.
Im not hearing a click when I plug it in so maybe the relay? We’ve had some ice storms that flickered the lights a few times last month. Maybe happened then.

Has anyone seen the PD2 repair kit on Amazon? Worth it or fire hazard from overseas?
Old 03-04-2021, 07:43 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Which charger do you have?

What is the voltage at the RED wire pin of the charge receptacle? Check this with voltmeter black lead on the pack negative.
This pin should match pack voltage exactly.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:49 PM   #6
Goober11
Gone Wild

Club Car

Try what Fairtax suggested but you can also look at the troubleshooting guide that Revolution Carts has on his website.
Goober11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:52 PM   #7
Hkspwrsche
Gone Wild

Club Car

Exclamation Re: 2004 CC DS IQ not charging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post

What is the voltage at the RED wire pin of the charge receptacle? Check this with voltmeter black lead on the pack negative.
Powerdrive2 is what I should have said instead of PD2 above.

Checked where the red wire runs out to the plug and the negative in pack. Exactly the same 49.7 on that check and the pack directly.

In other news, an interesting find?

So fiddling with the charger in the house. I unplugged the wires attached to the rectifier. After I unplugged the wires I heard a click? Maybe my imagination but, I’m going to guess it’s the relay or rectifier.

Neg test lead on positive terminal.
First neg term 4.41
Second neg term 10.61
Third neg term 6.29

Two of these should be the same right? Or much closer? One should be double.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:55 PM   #8
Hkspwrsche
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober11 View Post
Try what Fairtax suggested but you can also look at the troubleshooting guide that Revolution Carts has on his website.
Thanks and will do. I may have a clue now. Need to find actual specs for the rectifier.
Old 03-05-2021, 05:19 PM   #9
Hkspwrsche
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post

HopIng I’m headed down the right path. Sounds like the cart has enough voltage and the connection is still good on the cart side. Sounds like the charger then.
Old 03-05-2021, 05:46 PM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Not quite, but if you’re hankering to replace the charger with a newer one then it’s a good excuse. It’s like a 12 step process on these to track down what’s wrong when the charger doesn’t work. Most of the time if you get no click and no noise from the charger, it’s a bad connection on the cart, or a bad OBC.
If the charger makes some kinda noise, but doesn’t output anything or the ammeter needle is all over the place then it’s usually internal to the charger.

Check the other wires on the back of the charge receptacle. The Grey wire especially likes to corrode inside the pin and break off. Give it a light tug and see if it pulls out of the back of the receptacle. If that’s good check the fuse in the yellow inline fuse holder.
While the fuse is out, charger unplugged from AC power, plug the charge cord into the cart. Check the grey wire from the receptacle for pack voltage. This checks the wiring in the charger cord and the receptacle pins, as well as the relay coil for continuity and good connection.

After that, find a jumper wire and jumper the grey wire to the pack main negative. The relay should click. Plug the charger AC cord into the wall and it should then charge and you should see the ammeter read about 16-18 amps. If this makes the charger turn on, then we have a dead OBC.
If nothing happens, then we focus on the charger.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car