lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-29-2019, 05:59 AM   #1
phoddy
Not Yet Wild

Default 2005 Club Car Precedent blowing fuse

Hi, I need your help with my 2005 precedent club car. It was running fine when I last parked it 5 months ago. Now I tried to get it running again and I could not start. I found the 10amp fuse was blown. I replaced it and as soon as I press the gas pedal it blows again. It still blows it when I press the pedal in neutral position.

I couldn’t find anything related to this on other threads.
phoddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-02-2020, 11:03 AM   #2
phoddy
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2005 Club Car Precedent blowing fuse

While on the same issue of blowing fuses. Two(2) things that I found and need to understand:
1. On/off switch. I tested continuity on -M and +M. Is this right?
2. On the Main Harness 9 pin connector - There is continuity on Common(Black) and White-Black wires which goes to one of the micro switches (forward and reverse). Is it right?
Old 01-02-2020, 12:09 PM   #3
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoddy View Post
While on the same issue of blowing fuses. Two(2) things that I found and need to understand:
1. On/off switch. I tested continuity on -M and +M. Is this right?
2. On the Main Harness 9 pin connector - There is continuity on Common(Black) and White-Black wires which goes to one of the micro switches (forward and reverse). Is it right?
Key switch terminals M- and M+ have continuity when the switch is in the OFF position, no continuity when the switch is ON. That's the kill circuit. When the key switch is OFF it grounds the ignition coil - preventing spark. That circuit will also show continuity (as installed on the cart) when the ignition is ON but the accelerator pedal is UP. That's not a connection through the ignition key switch, that's a function of the bottom microswitch in the control box under the drivers seat. It will connect that white/black ignition kill wire to ground to stop/prevent spark when the gas pedal is released. The white/black wire does NOT go to either of the microswitches at the shifter. Look more carefully at the wiring diagram.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...cc-gas-ewd.jpg
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:15 AM   #4
phoddy
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the response Meimk.
From the manual wiring diagram the white wire from the micro switch is sonic welded into the white-black inside the harness. Then it split again to the GCOR (white-black) and 9 pin connector. The same is sonic welded to a white wire (supply line) from the solenoid.

The white-black and the common (black) still give me continuity.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:19 AM   #5
phoddy
Not Yet Wild

Or maybe it should have continuity because the white-black that goes to the GCOR connects to A normally open micro switch. Is that assumption correct?
But I still blow the 10amp fuse when I press the gas pedal.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:53 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I would look for mouse damage to wiring in the pedal box. Corrosion at the solenoid, or microswitches at the shift lever first.
If those check out OK, There is a diode in the harness for coil suppression to prevent arcing from the solenoid coil when the solenoid opens. If the diode has failed it will pop the fuse when you press the pedal. It should be near the solenoid, if it is not peel back the harness loom and you should find it between two sonic welds. Blue wire (coil positive) goes to one side of the diode, and Orange wire (coil negative) comes from the other. If there is a diode On the solenoid attached at the small terminals remove it and test it with a diode check function of your multimeter.

If the diode in the harness tests bad you can replace it in the harness, or remove it and install a new diode at the solenoid.

The only white wire at the solenoid should be the 6ga cable going to the starter generator. And there are no sonic welds on that wire. There should not be any small white wires at the solenoid.

Your Black at the Key switch and White/black at the GCOR are connected to frame ground and will have continuity to each other. The White/Black wire is the kill wire for the ignition coil. The Primary coil is grounded with Key Off, or pedal UP to kill the spark so the engine will not continue to run.

The GCOR has two switches, one that is Normally Open used for ignition kill, And one that is Normally Closed used for solenoid activation.
When the pedal is UP the NO switch is Closed, grounding the ignition kill circuit.
When the pedal is UP the NC switch is Open, which opens the negative (ground) side of the solenoid coil activation circuit.
When pedal DOWN the switches are released and go to their Normal positions.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 04:57 PM   #7
phoddy
Not Yet Wild

Thanks “FairTax4me”, I need that as well. I am unfortunately gone away on duty. I will give feedback immediately when I come back.
Thanks once more.
Old 01-05-2020, 06:39 AM   #8
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

I want to apologize for my last response. I was responding to a couple of different threads here and was thinking of the OTHER poster's '96 D/S, for which my response would have been correct. Not so for your '05 Precedent. All I can say is "oops!
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:18 PM   #9
phoddy
Not Yet Wild

Finally I am back.

I started working on fuse blowing issue on my cart. I tested the diode between the blue and orange wire on the solenoid and its tested healthy.

The question is why is my fuses keep blown off.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:55 PM   #10
phoddy
Not Yet Wild

Feedback on the fuse issue.

The battery was the main cause of this issue. While doing the diagnostic I also had to charge the battery which could only charge to 6 volts. Somehow it eventually swapped the negative and positive. It was reading (-) minuses. Thats when i realized the battery was badly damaged. I put in a new battery and the fuse dis not blow. The cart just started fine.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car