lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-25-2008, 11:33 PM   #1
ITA47
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 1988 Ezgo Fuel Pump Is Not Pumping Help!

I just purchased this cart it's an 1988 ezgo and it was missing several items and has been sitting a long time. I got it running and at first the fuel pump seemed to be working, but the carb hadn't been cleaned and it didn't run very well. I could see fuel moving through the fuel line at first. I went out a few days later and I had a little problem starting the cart and it seemed like the fuel pump wasn't pumping as much fuel. I replaced all the fuel line, I got the new fuel tank (It was missing when I got the cart), new fuel filter, and I pulled the carb off and cleaned it really good (It was full of gunk. I put everything back together and when I tried to start it the pump was barely pumping any fuel and the cart wouldn't start. I pulled the fuel line to the carb off and turned the engine over and nothing came out. I put my vacuum gun on the fuel line and I was able to suck fuel through the pump. I reconnected the fuel line to the carb and tried again, still no fuel flow. I then pulled the fuel pump off and checked the diaphram by pulling a vacuum on the back side and it did hold a vacuum. I turned the engine over with the pump off and I had a pretty good amount of pressure coming out the hole from the crank case. I put the fuel pump back on and still no fuel is being pumped. So do I have a bad fuel pump? Has anyone had a similar problem? Your help is greatly appreciated.
ITA47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2008, 10:23 AM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: 1988 Ezgo Fuel Pump Is Not Pumping Help!

If you have the style of pump that comes apart, clean it out and see if that helps. If not, I would put a new pump on it.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:50 PM   #3
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

Yea. take your pump apart, the 88's had pumps that can be dismantled. Now what you should be looking at is the clear plastic diaphram in the bottom of the pump. that diaphram tends to get all gunked up, and depending if your engine has lots of blow by, some times that clear plastic diaphram gets all burnt and brown looking.

For the price of a new pump, some times its best to get a new one, then spend time geting a rebuild kit, and tinkering with it. You could also have issue with the valves inside. I dont recall if a rebuild kit replaces those.
Monsterezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:55 PM   #4
ITA47
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks guy's I will take it apart tonight when I get home and clean it out. If it looks anything like the carb bowl did it will need to be cleaned. I just didn't know if I could take it apart or not. I will let you know what I find and if it fixes it. Thanks again. This is a great forum!
Old 08-26-2008, 04:18 PM   #5
EVLLS1
Gone Wild

my fuel pump wasn't working because there was a small pinhole in the clear diaphram at the bottom. i had temporarily fixed it with some clear tape.. went about 30 miles before the tape came off... worked fine long enough for the new fuel pump to come in the mail =)
EVLLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:38 AM   #6
ITA47
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I took the fuel pump apart last night and cleaned everything. It really didn't look that dirty. Then I put it back together and it works! I got the driven clutch installed and took it out for a test spin. The engine starts easy and runs good from 1/2 to full throttle, but below 1/2 throttle the engine will run for a second or two then die for a second or two then hit again for a second or two and it just continues. I am guessing that the slow speed circuits in the carb are still clogged up. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? If so how did you correct the problem? The engine sounds good, it just acts like it's not gettting fuel at slow speeds.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:36 PM   #7
mhebb
Not Yet Wild

I would replace that fuel pump. It's cheap and easy.
mhebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:42 PM   #8
ITA47
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The fuel pump is working. The cart runs great at high speeds, engine is smooth, it just doesn't run correctly at slow speeds. I don't think it has to do with the fuel pump.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:47 PM   #9
mhebb
Not Yet Wild

The fuel pump runs off vacuum created by the engine. Slower speed = less vacuum. If the integrity of your pump as been compromised it may have difficulty at lower speeds. Just a suggestion.
mhebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:03 PM   #10
ITA47
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the suggestion. I would agree other than these carts have a fuel bowl on the carb. Slow speed driving wouldn't use enough gas to empty the fuel bowl, it would take some time anyway. I can go from slow speed imediately to high speed and it runs fine then slow down to slow speed and it starts cutting out.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO