lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-31-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
panelbeatr
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 3PG woes

I've been struggling with a 89 Ezgo two cycle engine - 155 compression, new carb ,added '77 vintage GM HEI ignition module & coil, spark plug, no piston skirt breakout, replaced main crank seal on output side, new fuel pump, burned out muffler of blockage in hedge wood pit fire. Runs but develops little power then quits. Made my own intake out of Saab turbo pipe. Any way to test the pickup coil?? Can't buy new.... The coil throws out a 3/4" spark - new accel plug wire - spark at plug doesn't look that hot. Cart calls for .30 plug gap - GM is .60 so I tried .45 - no better running. I've rebuilt another cart motor that had the piston skirt crack on the ex side - had compression , fuel & spark but wouldn't run - was a real head scratcher...
Motor starts, runs for a bit then peters out. Never reaches full speed or potential. For a while it wouldn't run with intake inlet inatalled, but after leaning out carb it does run with it installed. Finally soaked old carb in dip tank and recleaned it and installed it - starts better but stops running after about 20 seconds.... puffs out lotsa smoke & unburnt fuel.

Previous thread..

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=61539
panelbeatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-01-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
racin161
Gone Wild

Default Re: 3PG woes

Did you try reversing the red & blue wires from the pulsar coil ? Did you replace both crank seals ? Are you completely disassembling the carb and cleaning all the jets ? Look close you may be missing the one screwed in the hole. They have to be clean and blown out with compressed air. And above all is the piston in correct ? Ports toward the intake side. Just thoughts.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:32 AM   #3
panelbeatr
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

The last thing I haven't done is change the crank seal behind flywheel - got puller & tool just before KU basketball's winning game :-). Every thing else has been done. I'm going to open up the wiring harness and look for a shorted wire after I change crank seal. I do have 2 spare pulsar's I may check out as per Dave Box's method. The carb screw you mentioned is the air bleed screw on top?? The manual isn't super clear how to adjust... Would that keep it from running?? ~ Mike
Old 04-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
panelbeatr
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

As per Dave Box's great tech. my crank sensor (pulsar) is working properly at 149 ohms and 0.4 volts AC output..... On to other crank seal...
Old 04-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
panelbeatr
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Keeps running worse and worse - replaced other crank seal, tested pulser pickup coil, spark good - same as good running cart- plenty of fuel - good compression now just burbles out smoke & wet black gook. I think it is time to tear down & split the case - possible air leak....
Old 04-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
panelbeatr
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin161 View Post
Did you try reversing the red & blue wires from the pulsar coil ? Yes Did you replace both crank seals ? yes Are you completely disassembling the carb and cleaning all the jets ? I thught so... Look close you may be missing the one screwed in the hole. They have to be clean and blown out with compressed air. And above all is the piston in correct ? Yes - someone put a PG2 piston in my PG2 - does that give me a PG 2.5?? Ports toward the intake side. Yes Just thoughts. I did check the jug to block bolts - one was about 1/2 turn loose - others fine. What does a severe overheat do to these engines?? could I have good compression but swollen bore down low causing bad gas flow??

LOU
Thanks for any and all input
Old 04-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #7
firecart1
Getting Wild

Sounds like it's getting plenty of fuel with it burping out the wet goop....Is the oil mixed right or is it a little rich? Excess fuel also leads me to think of weak spark. I've had the best luck with my cart (89 2 stroke w/HEI) with a .030 gap on a standard Champion resistor plug. I know you could open em up a bit...but for me that hot concentrated spark works the best. Hope this helps....Keep us posted!!
firecart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #8
Nate69
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

could it be the muffler ? some times i herd that u need good back pressure for these 2 strokes ? thats just what i herd not sure but maybe something to check into ...
Nate69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #9
panelbeatr
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Update- pulled head & piston - piston shot & rings shot. Got first overbore .25 mm piston in today (broken) and I'm having block bored and head milled .020 to boost compression. Also found main running problem - NO reed valve between block & intake !!!
Old 04-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #10
panelbeatr
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Update- pulled head & piston - piston shot & rings shot. Got first overbore .25 mm piston in today (broken) and I'm having block bored and head milled .020 to boost compression. Also found main running problem - NO reed valve between block & intake !!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO