lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-19-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
gcs13
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default High torque motor options

What motor would work best for my setup? I have 2003 DS IQ cart, it has 500 amp Alltrax dcx controller, 400 amp continuous solenoid, 2 ga battery cables, 23" tires, and a back seat. I had a PQ bandit motor in it till I over heated it and burned it up. I want a highest torque motor I can get. I use my cart for hunting and i have steep hills i have to climb. I've called PQ and asked them what motor they suggest and they were going talk to Robby to see and get back with me tomorrow. I just wanted to see what y'all suggested so I can explore more options. Any info would be appreciated.
gcs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
lgbarne
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: High torque motor options

D&D has a torque/speed motor that I am using in an 07 Precedent that has similar setup as yours (500A Alltrax, 400A Sol, 4ga, 23" tires). This past season was it's first year since rebuild being used for hunting in very hilly terrain in Alabama near Butler. It climbed every hill I dared to climb - the only hills I would not trust were those I feared flipping over on!

The only other recommendation I'll make is a set of Swamp Fox tires; or something similar. With those on I went through stuff I thought for sure was gonna get me stuck. Way better than the all terrains and clean out better too!
lgbarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
gcs13
Gone Wild

Club Car

Can I ask how much did you have to pay for the D&D motor?
Old 03-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
lgbarne
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hmm, that's a tough one. Paid 5K$ for entire cart including rebuild. You can get a quote directly from D&D by spec'ing out a motor and submitting for a quote. I also think you can call them directly. I think the motor may be somewhere in the 500$+ range.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #5
gcs13
Gone Wild

Club Car

Being a torque motor, what kind of speed are you getting out of it?
Old 03-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
lgbarne
Gone Wild

Club Car

Consistent 22mph, with 23 sometimes showing on the GPS. This is a Torque & Speed motor. D&D also sells a pure Torque motor. From D&D's website, it amazingly shows both the Torque (14mph) and Torque&Speed (16-22) motors give you a 70% boost in torque (w/ 500A Controller) but as you can see the T&S motor also gives you much more speed. Although it won't win many races with the pure speed motors many of the folks on here are installing.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:54 AM   #7
gcs13
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks lgbarne, I'm going to give D&D a call today and see what they say.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #8
dragster777
Not Yet Wild

I guess you burned the Plum Quick up beause of the hill climbing right, i just installed one over the weekend but all i do is ride on dirt roads. Just wanted to make sure that i did not make the wrong choice, thanks
dragster777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:13 AM   #9
lgbarne
Gone Wild

Club Car

Another piece of info for you to consider. I think PQ may be able to rebuild your burned up motor into a torque motor. Suggest you ask them about this option. If possible, it'll likely be less expensive than a new D&D.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
gcs13
Gone Wild

Club Car

I was on a dirt road when I burned my motor up. I was just running down my new batteries, braking them in when I burnt my motor up. I guess I should not have went that long without giving my motor a brake. I didn't know it had gotten all that hot till I smelled it, by that time it was to late. I heard a sizzle then a pop, it was all over with except the crying.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car