lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-27-2021, 05:12 PM   #1
steamcheng
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Yamaha G14 engine woes

Greetings all!

I acquired a 1995 G14 when I bought my current house a couple of years ago. It wasn't exactly "cherry" then, and was running extremely rich, which I was able to correct. However, it burns plenty of oil, as in the old gag about pulling into the gas station and asking to check the gas and fill'er up with oil.

I'd like to rebuild this engine (I'm mechanically apt, and have my own basement machine shop too), but I am confused about its identification. The cart is identified as JN-105470, indicating this is a G14A with a JN5 engine. However, the engine has a sticker on it that says JN3-005641.

Perhaps this is a situation where an engine was changed out? I have no information on a JN3 engine, so I assume the sticker is because it may have come out of another cart.

Is this the expected JN5 engine? Is there a location where the engine has a casting mark or stamped serial number that would help? I have attached a couple of photos to help show what I am describing.

Many thanks!
SteamChEng
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Engine serial sticker.jpg (211.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cart serial.jpg (222.2 KB, 0 views)
steamcheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-28-2021, 01:33 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G14 engine woes

Look just below the exhaust pipe on the back of the engine block, it should say "300cm2", this engine family was also offered in 285cc, but the 300 is the only correct engine for g14.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:28 AM   #3
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

My G-14's engine # was JN3 003591 . It was the the 300 cc unit as described by CG. My chassis is also JN3-10xxxx which comes out to a 1995 G 14. A 1996 G14 would have JN3-20xxxx. The engine in these 2 years are the same BUT the chassis are very different. The 95 uses mostly G2 type suspension parts where the 96 uses the later G 16 units.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:33 PM   #4
steamcheng
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Look just below the exhaust pipe on the back of the engine block, it should say "300cm2", this engine family was also offered in 285cc, but the 300 is the only correct engine for g14.
Many thanks. I thought I had looked there, but with my inspection mirror I was easily able to confirm the JN5 300cc engine.

Now to get the rebuild going.

Thanks!
SteamChEng
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JN5 engine mark.jpg (130.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-03-2021, 05:54 PM   #5
steamcheng
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Looks like compression is as low as I suspected. Despite this, the cart runs surprisingly well. It just burns oil like a mother!

Planning on pulling the engine this week to start the rebuild. I don't know yet if I will need a standard or oversize piston and ring kit. The valves, seals and gaskets shouldn't matter, so I'll probably order them tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg compression.jpg (136.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-04-2021, 08:11 AM   #6
1arunem
Gone Wild

If that is one of the Harbor Freight compression testers, might as well throw it in the garbage (ask me how I know). Highly doubt engine would run at all at that compression level.
1arunem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:09 AM   #7
steamcheng
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1arunem View Post
If that is one of the Harbor Freight compression testers, might as well throw it in the garbage (ask me how I know). Highly doubt engine would run at all at that compression level.
Caution duly noted! Wasn't HF, but might as well have been - I got it on Amazon for cheapo. However, I have hit and miss engines (antique farm engines) that have almost zero compression and will run on Coleman lamp fuel with a whole lot less spark than this machine has. Once I got the engine out, I could turn it over by hand very easily. Not much compression at all.

I'm just guessing this breather here isn't exactly a stock item:

We got the engine out without any real issues, other than the motor mounts were rotted and came apart as we hoisted the engine up. The mount tensioner was missing also, but other than that, it came out easily. When removing the starter/generator, I discovered the tensioner bracket was broken and had been for some time. I will make another out of some plate I have in the shop.

This looks like it could be the performance clutch with the white spring already installed. Anybody know by looking at it? This is my first golf cart and I'm learning as I go.

After partial disassembly, we used some NAPA spray degreaser and some elbow grease and cleaned things up a bit. Once most of the major gook was scrubbed off, we took the engine to the local carwash and power washed it to get it much more clean. Right now, I'm at a stop, waiting for the clutch puller bolt I ordered to arrive (should come today). I ordered new engine mounts from Vegas Carts and a complete rebuild kit from Blockbuster Carts. I expect both packages to arrive this week.

Measurements of the cylinder indicate it is just within tolerances for wear and taper. I don't think I'm going to do much about it other than hone the cylinder a bit so the new rings will seat. I didn't realize the cylinder was part of the crankcase and can't be removed for boring. I don't have enough clearance on my lathe (9" South Bend) or my milling machine to handle the whole assembly, so that's why it won't get bored and oversized this time. The rebuild kit contains new valves, so we'll lap them in and see if this gives us a few more years. Next time I'll look for another engine to swap out with or get a shop to bore my cylinder for me.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:26 AM   #8
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

That rebuild kit description says 50mm oversize piston and rings...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:37 AM   #9
steamcheng
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
That rebuild kit description says 50mm oversize piston and rings...
Yeah, I know. I called him and he said to place a note in the order (there's a place in the web order form for that) to request standard size instead of oversized piston and rings and they'll ship it like that. I don't know if anybody else on here has worked with him, but he's very pleasant and helpful!
Old 02-08-2021, 01:33 PM   #10
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamcheng View Post
Yeah, I know. I called him and he said to place a note in the order (there's a place in the web order form for that) to request standard size instead of oversized piston and rings and they'll ship it like that. I don't know if anybody else on here has worked with him, but he's very pleasant and helpful!
Gotcha...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
g14, gas, yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha