lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-19-2021, 06:49 AM   #11
fatboy11
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Very odd problem

Thanks for the input. I can't see any corrosion anywhere but the ground cable at the battery so I think I'm just going to replace the voltage regulator and battery and hope that it solves the issue. If it doesn't I'm not sure where to go from there.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-19-2021, 09:24 AM   #12
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I wouldn't bother to replace the regulator, but its very important that it has a good clean ground for it to work properly.
Even if it doesn't look bad or corroded a poor ground can cause the regulator to run the starter generator at higher voltage. Make sure the ground for the regulator is extra clean.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 02:21 PM   #13
fatboy11
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Finally got around to cleaning all connections and went a hard changed the battery since it had leaked so much liquid out. Wife drove it this morning and nothing changed. It's even doing it on flat now which started 4 days ago. Again there are zero sounds, no clicking or anything when this happens. Any idea on next steps? Voltage regulator, coil, starter? Already replaced battery, solenoid and micro switches. Starter was replaced less than 2 years ago. What is getting hot enough to shut EVERYTHING down until it cool enough after 3-5 minutes to start up again. I also wrapped battery with an insulating wrap.
Old 08-08-2021, 04:25 PM   #14
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

When it does this you need to check voltage at the solenoid. Key On should have 12v on Both small wires. No 12v, or less than 12v, then check voltage at the Key switch.

If 12v on both solenoid small pins, Put red meter lead on the orange wire, black lead on battery -. Press the pedal, it should go from battery voltage to 0v or very close to 0v.
If the orange wire doesn't drop to 0 then there is a wire problem between the solenoid and micro switches, or one of the micro switches is bad. Either on the throttle cam or on the shifter.
Old 08-11-2021, 08:28 AM   #15
fatboy11
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I'm never with my wife when this happens. When I'm with her it won't happen for some reason. Why it happens with her but not me I don't understand either.

I read in another place that a sticky clutch could cause a similar issue making it hard for the starter to turn. Can it actually cause something that that may appear like an electrical issue to someone that's not really mechanically inclined? It also said that a clutch should be greased at least twice a year. Is this true? How do I do that? I don't see any grease fittings.
Old 08-11-2021, 02:02 PM   #16
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

No grease in these clutches, so whatever they were talking about is not applicable to these carts.
A stuck clutch is usually pretty obvious.
Plenty of electrical things can fail intermittently, the only way to really know what's failing is to be able to test it when its not working. Ride around with the wife for a day maybe and see if it will happen.

I get plenty of complaints about non-working carts and majority of the time by the time I get to the cart it works just fine and I can find nothing wrong, except for the occasional instance where someone has run the batteries totally dead. I totally understand the frustration of trying to find and fix an intermittent problem. Sometimes you just have to deal with it for a little while until it totally fails or becomes such a regular occurrence that you can then predict when it will fail.
Old 09-22-2021, 02:47 PM   #17
fatboy11
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

To follow up. Never found out what caused this problem but now that the weather has cooled down and humidity is lower she is not having any trouble at all. Does this give you any idea of what may be effected by heat and/or humidity? Mid 80's and below with low humidity there is no issue. Upper 80's and 90's with higher humidity is when the problem happens.

Tags
confused, electrical, starting
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car