lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-28-2020, 01:56 PM   #1
lexingtoncart
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Finally a Project Cart - Elmco Royal Ride E21 4 Seater

So most importantly the story...

I am a grown up farm kid, from Illinois, who now lives in Miami. The Elmco factory, in Cookesville, was ~15 miles from our family farm. I always thought they were the coolest golf carts and always wanted one... Flash forward 30+ years, and someone is fire sale-ing one here in Miami. Couldn't believe it. Had to have it!

This is a 1987 Elmco Royal Ride 21E. It is an A87, (1987) chassis, which I am told is because it is a 4-seater, not the typical B-model. It has been upgraded to current technology - there is are modern-ish parts - no coils or resistors.

I have owned ~6 carts: 1998 DS, 2010 Precedent, currently a 2016 Star EV Sport 4+2, and many others. The current Star, just because it is headache free & reliable.

I am buying this knowing that it will not be easy and will be tackling this with my 8 yr old son. I am very mechanically & electrically inclined (which I am certain will be challenged) and he is quickly becoming the same. In these crazy times a garage project in Florida is great winter goal.

I am going to do my best to document as much as possible with my son. The goal is ultimately make an amazing Cullinan-like golf cart that has the vintage flair, while teaching my son even more about vehicles, and maybe some amateur videography and editing. I KNOW that I will be looking to this amazing forum from time to time for assistance & guidance.

I hope you all enjoy what I am expecting will be an amazing project!

Wish me luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cart 1.jpg (265.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Cart 2.jpg (384.0 KB, 0 views)
lexingtoncart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-28-2020, 03:41 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Finally a Project Cart - Elmco Royal Ride E21 4 Seater

Nice. Good luck with it.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 03:54 PM   #3
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

Thats a cool cart.
Reddawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:13 PM   #4
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Great find! It looks near mint.
I'm not sure what you mean by "Cullinan-like". Are you planning to update the body or just change the color? The new Rolls Cullinan is interesting but since I can't afford one I'll have to keep my Yukon.
Does the cart run or is this the main part of the project?
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:46 PM   #5
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

So funny to see that the cart ended up on here. I was contacted by the seller to help price it for a quick sale. If it wasn't lifted I might have bought it from her. Glad it is going to a good home. I've rebuilt quite a few royal rides at least 5 or 6 and have another one going right now. Let me know if you have any questions. Here's a few of mine I have...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rr1 .jpg (164.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg rr2.jpg (480.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg rr3.jpg (244.6 KB, 0 views)
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:25 AM   #6
lexingtoncart
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thank you all for the notes. I think it naturally looks more like a Cullinan than a sedan/saloon, so that is the direction I am leaning. I will not be updating the overall "look" much. It will get a full repaint with newer RR colors. It is getting all new mechanical & electrical. I am leaving it lifted to run 14's on ~23" tires. New 24's arrive Saturday for my other cart, so will be test fitting those for fit/rub. Reaching out today to Carts Unlimited for the full high-hp package. I could do some basic upgrades, as it already has 48V controller & motor. (with dead 36V batteries) I intend to respray the entire chassis & all parts. Obviously all new bushings, shocks, mounts, etc... New Bucket seats for the front and the back seat upholstered to match.

This is for me, long term, so there is not a budget per se! I intend to do it all right the first time while I have it apart. I appreciate any insights you all can provide - and will be definitely be taking you all up on offers for technical advice!!

Tear down starts tonight...
Old 10-29-2020, 10:28 AM   #7
lexingtoncart
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I am still shocked there was one here in Miami, given my childhood attachment. I will definitely be reaching out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf cart man View Post
So funny to see that the cart ended up on here. I was contacted by the seller to help price it for a quick sale. If it wasn't lifted I might have bought it from her. Glad it is going to a good home. I've rebuilt quite a few royal rides at least 5 or 6 and have another one going right now. Let me know if you have any questions. Here's a few of mine I have...
Old 10-29-2020, 12:13 PM   #8
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

That's so cool. Mind sharing what you paid for it? How did you find it? I check OU every day just to see what's out there and didnt' see that one.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:31 AM   #9
lexingtoncart
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

It was on FB marketplace. Seller said lots of tire kickers and people with stories, so I showed up with cash and a trailer with a winch and took it! They were literally moving the next day and the deal needed to be made. Won't post $$ in main forums, if you need to know, please send me a DM. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakko47 View Post
That's so cool. Mind sharing what you paid for it? How did you find it? I check OU every day just to see what's out there and didnt' see that one.
Old 11-06-2020, 08:46 AM   #10
lexingtoncart
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Moving this to a new string in Member rides - didn't realize it should have been over there.

Tags
club car, elmco, project, royal ride
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car