lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-02-2014, 08:34 PM   #1
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default 05 txt pds death rattle/shudder

Full charge, Batteries new in Feb 14, solenoid clicks slight forward movement and shudder then nothing.

Tested with meter following this guide:
http://www.eastcoastcarts.com/media/...c_with_PDS.pdf

Get to step nine of the flow chart checking battery neg and controller side of solenoid. getting close to a full 2 volts less than reference voltage which indicates controller failure.

Not to question the guide but does this line up with the hands on guys. Time for a new controller or keep testing?
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-03-2014, 08:16 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 05 txt pds death rattle/shudder

I'd do more troubleshooting.

I'm not sure where the tech-writers that wrote the PDS decision tree in the TXT 2001&up service manual got the voltages stated in Step-9 or how they reached the conclusion that the controller is bad if the voltage is outside that stated range.

The only difference between Step-5 and Step-9 is the position of the Run/Tow switch, which should have little, if any, effect on the current flow through the pre-charge resistor. The filter capacitors that the pre-charge resistor keeps charged, bleed off their charge at the same rate whether the controller is powered up or not, and the logic and auxiliary power supplies turned on/off by the Run/Tow switch are fed B+ via J1 Pins 4&5 rather than through the pre-charge resistor.

The symptom your cart displays indicates the controller works, but runs out of power. The filter capacitors store enough energy to move the cart, but not very far. Take the pre-charge resistor off the solenoid and try to drive it.

If it doesn't move at all without the resistor in place, replace the solenoid.
(It may be clicking, but that doesn't mean the contacts are making good contact and passing the amps needed to run the motor)

If it continues to move a little and shudder to a stop, it could be power supply (batteries and cables) issues or controller issues and more testing is needed.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:17 AM   #3
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

Have checked all connections, load tested batteries. I thought it sounded like a power issue but this pds is new stuff to me. The pack voltage drops to 25v when the solenoid clicks and you can smell the battery acid in a matter of seconds. Kind of seems like it's close to a dead short. Removed wires from motor and checked for continuity between lugs.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Can you repeat this battery voltage test for each individual battery? Is there one which drops significantly lower than the rest?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:51 AM   #5
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

I tested each battery with a 100 amp load tester of the harbor freight variety. They all checked out under load.

Like I said, you can smell the batteries when they are dropping in voltage like that.

I'm concerned that I could be damaging the pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2014, 12:05 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau View Post
I tested each battery with a 100 amp load tester of the harbor freight variety. They all checked out under load.

Like I said, you can smell the batteries when they are dropping in voltage like that.

I'm concerned that I could be damaging the pack.

HF 100 amp load tester wont do the job for a Golf Cart battery. Do as I suggested, the cart will pull 3 Xs the HF load. It sounds like a battery problem.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:50 PM   #7
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

Ok, will do. Thanks for your time. I'm totally new to the PDS, have some knowledge of CC and have been setting up and troubleshooting concert sound systems for 20+ years so I can find my way around fine with instruction. So again guys thanks for the knowledge.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:27 PM   #8
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

All batteries tested 6.4 and dropped to 6.3 yet whole pack voltage drops to 25 volts.

Metered 1st battery then added another battery to the circuit adding another 6.4 volts. When I got to the 4th battery it added less that 5 volts to the total. Intersting, battery had 6.4 on its own but only ads 5 volts to the series.

Replaced battery and the cart sprang to life.

I had a feeling I needed to drill down deeper.

Thank you guys so much

Old 12-03-2014, 06:29 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

So we are good now?
Old 12-03-2014, 06:40 PM   #10
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

Yes she's a rockin! Excellent job on the remote open cart surgery. I'm now working on a virtual beer app so I can email you a beer. How about I pay pal you a sixer?

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO