lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2014, 11:51 AM   #1
Ta2ooz
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 03 precedent 48v no oomph hot spring

So I have an older precedent, and all of a sudden it started going really slow up hill, it has 4 12v's in it. All are reading over 12v. While I was testing it I was very slowly going up a fairly steep grade, fully depressed accelerator pedal, for about 5 mins, just got slower and slower and then I started to smell something getting hot, turned around and went back to the campsite, lifted the seat and found the spring/resistor was smoking hot. I am also noticing the regen is not working as well as it once did. I cleaned up all the connections I could. I have large cables on it as well. Could the OBC need to be reset? I thought that was just for charging though? Is my controller fried? Confused and would appreciate any help.
Ta2ooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2014, 12:19 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: 03 precedent 48v no oomph hot spring

"up steep hill" is the problem ... it would be a good idea to upgrade controller to better handle hills ...OBC is for charging so reset not needed ..if cart still runs then controller is not fried... battery age could also be a problem
Old 06-02-2014, 01:40 PM   #3
Ta2ooz
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
"up steep hill" is the problem ... it would be a good idea to upgrade controller to better handle hills ...OBC is for charging so reset not needed ..if cart still runs then controller is not fried... battery age could also be a problem
It has been up the same hill many times, by slow I mean like .25 of a mile an hour,creeping just barely moving.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:45 PM   #4
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Check that all cables are secure - loose cables will arc and smell hot - as well as rob power. After charging - hook a multimeter to your pack, with the wires run out from under the seat so you can read it. It should read over 50 volts.

Then go back up that steep hill a few times and report what your voltage drops to (you can even measure your batteries one at a time to see if you've got one really bad one, while climbing the hill). Generally speaking, if you have too low voltage - and push on up a hill - everything is going to run hotter. As my batteries finally gave-up-the-ghost last year, "slower and slower" on hills was the main symptom. Sounds like your batteries may be giving out - or are getting too weak to perform properly.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #5
Ta2ooz
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesam View Post
Check that all cables are secure - loose cables will arc and smell hot - as well as rob power. After charging - hook a multimeter to your pack, with the wires run out from under the seat so you can read it. It should read over 50 volts.

Then go back up that steep hill a few times and report what your voltage drops to (you can even measure your batteries one at a time to see if you've got one really bad one, while climbing the hill). Generally speaking, if you have too low voltage - and push on up a hill - everything is going to run hotter. As my batteries finally gave-up-the-ghost last year, "slower and slower" on hills was the main symptom. Sounds like your batteries may be giving out - or are getting too weak to perform properly.
I will defiantly try that when I get back there in a couple of weeks, thanks for the good advice gang.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:03 PM   #6
greg-g
Gone Wild

I think you might have a regen 2 cart maybe 1999 ? Let these guys run your serial number.
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:03 PM   #7
Ta2ooz
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

A0020-890159
Old 06-02-2014, 03:06 PM   #8
CCFanatic
DS Drivers Club Founder

Club Car

You don't have a Precedent, you don't even have an 03. You have a 2000 Club Car DS 48v Series golf car.
CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:10 PM   #9
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

It's a 2000 DS Regen2 (PowerDrive Plus) Vehicle and your dynamic braking solenoid has failed. It's the solenoid on the driver's side. It has failed in the OPEN position and never closes. When this solenoid closes all power can pass through it. Because it can not close, all power is having to pass through the resistor to operate your vehicle. That is why it's getting hot and that's why you're going so slow. Purchase a new solenoid and replace it. If the new solenoid comes with a built in diode between the two small posts, cut it off before you install it. This system does not use a diode nor a pre-charge resistor on either solenoid.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:21 PM   #10
Ta2ooz
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
It's a 2000 DS Regen2 (PowerDrive Plus) Vehicle and your dynamic braking solenoid has failed. It's the solenoid on the driver's side. It has failed in the OPEN position and never closes. When this solenoid closes all power can pass through it. Because it can not close, all power is having to pass through the resistor to operate your vehicle. That is why it's getting hot and that's why you're going so slow. Purchase a new solenoid and replace it. If the new solenoid comes with a built in diode between the two small posts, cut it off before you install it. This system does not use a diode nor a pre-charge resistor on either solenoid.
Jeez.. I feel a bit dumb, I was working with a freind on his 2 years ago and I guess I mixed up the models, thanks for setting me straight. I will get the relay and report back. Thanks for the help yet again.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car