lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-08-2014, 01:58 PM   #1
steele
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Unmarked PDS Motor terminals

I`m dealing with an 2001 PDS. previous owner threw parts parts and more parts at it and finally gave up. New parts are controller.motor,potentiometer,speed sensor,solonoid,batteries,interlock switch.The tow/run switch was used with harness.I started at no run and no sound.I have the ezgo tech manual.SO far i found micro switch had no arm and roller. Thats fixed. Had no voltage at blu and red on solonoid. Looking at tow run sw it was not wired as the schematic showed as far as which wires are switched together when on. They even looked wrong, there was 1 bent 90 and 1 straight on each side. After the change both bent 90 degrees on the same side and both straight on the other.It looks like it is to clear cover when installed.I now have pack voltage at blu and red on sol.Also have pack volts on wire from interlock sw. so thats been eliminated as a cause.Prev owner said it would run 2 to 3 minutes and then creep in limp mode.He also said it was same after parts replace. Then he said he took the motor back out to check and after that NOTHING !! Thats how I got it.What I need is a Pic of the wiring on the actual tow run sw to see that its right.According to dvm it is connecting the right wires together and i did get voltage at sol blu and red.I now get 2-1 beep code LOW VOLTAGE. There are no markings on the motor for posts. The schematic dont show actual post locations.Just a sketch looking from end of motor will be fine.I suspect wired wrong .Nothing would surprise me at this point.Any help or thoughts after reading my BOOK! Would be very much appreciated. Thanks Rick
steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-08-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Unmarked PDS Motor terminals

Take a look at this pic. http://plumquick.com/motors-and-acce...e-executioner/ small wires are the F1 and F2, heavy wires are for the A terminals
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:14 PM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Always turn the run/tow to tow before doing anything electrical.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #4
steele
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks ,but no go their motor has all posts together on top. This motor has 2 on top and 2 below or on the bottom as it sits on the cart or loking from rear of motor.But thanks again.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:37 PM   #5
steele
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Update! found lable on motor on bottom(under cart) A-1 and A_2 were reversed.So that part is ok.Still need pick of tow/run switch or a in depth description of arrangement on back of switch. Holding it in hand and looking at it from post side with on being up.This info is not in manual.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:20 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Sounds like you already figured out which motor terminals are which, but for future reference, the A1/A2 terminals are on the end cap and the F1/F2 terminal's are on the motor case. Also, with a sepex motor, the F1/F2 terminals are smaller diameter studs.

You mentioned a potentiometer in the list of parts, I can't think of anywhere in a PDS system that a potentiometer is located.

What make/model controller if not a stock PDS controller. (Oops, you mentioned a beep code - it is stock PDS)

-------------
You mentioned Red and Blue wires on the solenoid, there ought to be a Yellow on also.
Blue and Yellow go to the solenoids small terminals (Coil), the Red wire goes to the battery side large terminal.

-------------
For the time being, remove the resistor and diode from the solenoid, if they are installed. Troubleshooting is easier without them.

------------
You are getting a 2-1 beep code (Low Voltage).
What is your battery pack voltage?
Also check voltage on J1-Pins 4 & 5. -- should be full pack voltage. (If RED wire is on wrong solenoid terminal, you'll probably get a low voltage error, if the controller comes on at all.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:19 PM   #7
steele
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Johnny. Yes ,blu and yellow. small terms and red on batt side of sol. Yes that is a ITS. They call it a potentiometer on the bill i got from prev owner.You said remove resistor and diode.I only see 1 thing across both large terms it is grey quarter inch dia and 1 inch or so long and no line to indicate which direction it gets installed.Pack voltage 37.9 and new 2 months ago.This is a stock 1206MX curtis controller.You said check j1 pin 4&5 for pack volts. is that with connector plugged into controller or unplugged? NEWS!! FLASH!!! I i went to shop to check red wire was on batt side of sol. yes it is. THEN I pulled j1 out of cont and looked close with good light and it looks to have been real hot.checked and it had pack volts . plugged in j1 and turned tow sw on key on. fwd and stepped on pedal. SURPRISE sol came on and we were under way (ON JACKS OF COURSE) only pushed it about half way down and let it stop 3 times 3 rd time was the longest about 2 seconds then it quit and when I returned the pedal. the sol clunked off. then nothng. turned off tow switch for 3 minutes also key and fwd sw all to off. tried after 3 min and it came on again and ran same about 2 to 4 sec and quit. tried a couple more times and NOT!! Now since I did hear it run. I`m closer and the motor I believe to be right. When I started this and tow sw was wired wrong I think. I question if it took out the sol driver in the cont. tow sw is wired to the way the schematic shows the power to flow. looking at j3 I can`t hold it any way that the wires are in the order they show on diagram in book and They dont say what each wire does.I don`t want to throw a controller at it and junk it tooo! I`ll do the things you said tomorrow and we`ll see!!!! Ijust went back to shop after typing this and turned on tow sw ,fwd and key REPEAT 2 0r 3 seconds it ran and when I let off the pedal the sol cluncked off then nothing.I`ll Have more news as it becomes available OR QUESTIONS! Thanks soo much for your help.Rick
Old 05-09-2014, 06:47 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by steele View Post
1. Yes ,blu and yellow. small terms and red on batt side of sol.

2. Yes that is a ITS. They call it a potentiometer on the bill i got from prev owner.

3. You said remove resistor and diode.I only see 1 thing across both large terms it is grey quarter inch dia and 1 inch or so long and no line to indicate which direction it gets installed.

4. Pack voltage 37.9 and new 2 months ago.

5. This is a stock 1206MX curtis controller.

6. You said check j1 pin 4&5 for pack volts. is that with connector plugged into controller or unplugged?

7. NEWS!! FLASH!!! I i went to shop to check red wire was on batt side of sol. yes it is. THEN I pulled j1 out of cont and looked close with good light and it looks to have been real hot.checked and it had pack volts . plugged in j1 and turned tow sw on key on. fwd and stepped on pedal. SURPRISE sol came on and we were under way (ON JACKS OF COURSE) only pushed it about half way down and let it stop 3 times 3 rd time was the longest about 2 seconds then it quit and when I returned the pedal. the sol clunked off. then nothng. turned off tow switch for 3 minutes also key and fwd sw all to off. tried after 3 min and it came on again and ran same about 2 to 4 sec and quit. tried a couple more times and NOT!!

8. Now since I did hear it run. I`m closer and the motor I believe to be right. When I started this and tow sw was wired wrong I think.

9. I question if it took out the sol driver in the cont. tow sw is wired to the way the schematic shows the power to flow.

10. looking at j3 I can`t hold it any way that the wires are in the order they show on diagram in book and They dont say what each wire does.

11. I don`t want to throw a controller at it and junk it tooo! I`ll do the things you said tomorrow and we`ll see!!!!

12. I just went back to shop after typing this and turned on tow sw ,fwd and key REPEAT 2 0r 3 seconds it ran and when I let off the pedal the sol cluncked off then nothing.

13. I`ll Have more news as it becomes available OR QUESTIONS! Thanks soo much for your help.Rick
3. That is the Pre-Charge resistor. Remove it for the time being. The stock PDS didn't have the diode on the small terminals, but some owners added them, so some did have it.
4. Charge the battery pack, it's down to 90% SoC. Did you give thje batteries an initial charge when you got them?
6. When plugged in, but those two pins should have B+ on them whether they are plugged or or not. In fact, Pin-5 should have B+ on it 100% of the time and Pin-4 should have B+ on it whenever the charger is not plugged into cart.
7. Good news - Bad news.
8. The Run/Tow switch id a DPDT toggle switch. J3 Pins 1 & 3 connect two the terminals at one end and J3 Pins 2 & 4 connect to the terminals at the other. The switch contacts connect Pin-1 to Pin-2 and Pin-3 to Pin-4.
9. Yes. If any wire anywhere was disconnected or reconnected while the controller was powered up (Run/Tow in Run) part of the controller can be taken out and since everything is in the same box, if any part is bad the whole controller is bad.
10. It is labeled on attached schematic. J3 Pins 1 & 2 is Auxiliary power. This is what feed the external switches and solenoid coil. J3 Pins 3 &4 feeds the Logic power supply, which power the controller's internal electronics. The voltage source for these are J1 Pins 4 & 5, but I don't remember which is which and it doesn't matter much since both are needed.
11. Good idea, make sure the external controls are working right before replacing the controller.
12. Sounds like a bad controller.

----------------
I don't know what your plans are for the cart, but now would be a good time to figure out what your end goal is and work towards that goal.

With an Alltrax DCX400 controller a PDS cart will do about 24 MPH at 36V with a stock PDS motor and stock height tires. Of course, the high current cables and solenoid will have to be upgraded also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - PDS - Solenoid activation traced.jpg (69.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-09-2014, 01:06 PM   #9
steele
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok! Round 2! Here we go. first took off the tow sw and brought it and the DVM in to good light.Found that was wired wrong.Changed it to conect 1to 2 and 3to4 Wire colors arent as shown on schematic but powers up as circuit shows and you described.Then went back to shop plugged it in. tried and nothing. Checked red and red white pin 4 and 5 for pack volts=red yes and red/white pin4= no. Checked between b- and connector near chg rec and 0 .unplugged red white at harness near controller.hooked jumper to cart side and touched to pos batt post. Sparked like dead short and seen smoke from cont I think from around tow sw connector.Rechecked wiring for tow sw and it is correct 1 connects to 2 and 3 connects to 4 when on. I rechecked j1 pin 4&5 5=pack volts pin 4 dead hooked up jumper and very minor orange spark(not like first time )just like a normal draw. I now have power j1 pin 4-5. Rev buzz when tow sw is on with key on or off.I think normal. No operation of sol or motor.DEAD. I checked every wire in j1 and they are as shown on schematic and go where it says they go ,like to key fwd/rev sw, etc. They say blu for center of rev sw MINE IS GREY but it is on the center post of rev sw.Pin 1on J1 is not org/red as shown. it is grey and stays grey and goes to center post of fwd/rev sw. I think all wiring is correct now . Your opinion before I pull cont for rebuild? Thanks Rick
Old 05-09-2014, 06:02 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The wire colors on my 2008 PDS aren't quite the same as the are on the schematics either.

If you have B+ on every pin with a wire highlight in Red connected to it, the solenoid should be activated. If not the controller is bad.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO