lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
Bagnut
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2014 EZGO Express S4 governor

I just got a 2014 ezgo express s4 and want to adjust the governor to get some more speed out of it, I'm assuming this is the governor adjustment like the older models:

My question is what is a safe amount to adjust it? Is there a way to tell what is damaging? Or just go to the point where is gets choppy like the older ones and then adjust some back out? It's the Kawasaki 13.5 hp motor with the hemispherical head if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance
Bagnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-31-2013, 12:24 AM   #2
mcdave71
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2014 EZGO Express S4 governor

It's as simple as tightening the slack out of the throttle cable. The governor will still kick in and hold you back a little bit. It's best not to adjust it too much until the motor is good and broken in though.
mcdave71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:18 AM   #3
Bagnut
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdave71 View Post
It's as simple as tightening the slack out of the throttle cable. The governor will still kick in and hold you back a little bit. It's best not to adjust it too much until the motor is good and broken in though.
Ah ok good call. Thanks
Old 10-31-2013, 07:17 AM   #4
SOUTHVIEW
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

that is the shift cable!!Do not adjust that cable. Tighten the throttle cable and under a black metal cover on top of the motor where the throttle cable runs, there is a lever that is held with a 10mm bolt.You have to remove the shield or bend it out the way(like I did). Losing bolt and slide towards back, should give you more speed. I have a 2009 st express limo and currently run 24 mph on gps. I did not move mine all the back, only a little. No pics,sorry.
SOUTHVIEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
Bagnut
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHVIEW View Post
that is the shift cable!!Do not adjust that cable. Tighten the throttle cable and under a black metal cover on top of the motor where the throttle cable runs, there is a lever that is held with a 10mm bolt.You have to remove the shield or bend it out the way(like I did). Losing bolt and slide towards back, should give you more speed. I have a 2009 st express limo and currently run 24 mph on gps. I did not move mine all the back, only a little. No pics,sorry.
Ok thanks, think I'm going to wait to run 2 full tanks through it before I adjust it. Then go from there.
Thanks again
Old 10-17-2014, 02:07 PM   #6
ryanmojohnson
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I adjusted mine almost all the way backed out and gained no additional speed. What's goin on?
ryanmojohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:18 PM   #7
Bagnut
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I got mine from 17 to 21mph, beyond that adjustment point there was no difference other than starting to choke itself out
Old 10-26-2014, 05:25 PM   #8
flharleycop
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

21 is all you can get out of the new ones? I was hoping that 25 was within a real reach with the governor adjustment. Keep us posted on how you do.
flharleycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:26 PM   #9
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

21 is good for the 13hp on big wheels - also keep in mind that the 2009-up carts have plastic gears as part of the components of the governor in the rear end, if You adjust the governor out too far it's not a question of "If" they'll grenade and lock up your rear end, but "When" ... With the Kawasaki's, it's almost essential to have a tach if You're going to set it up for speed, in addition to the delicate gears in the rear, the rev limiters in the ignition are actually set at a higher RPM than valve float (which makes them basically useless) - a tach is the only way to really be sure You're not going to destroy your engine if You're running with anything other than the factory governor settings for any extended period of time. Might not happen this year, might not happen next, but it will - maybe tomorrow, you never can tell.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:28 PM   #10
Lester Powell
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
21 is good for the 13hp on big wheels - also keep in mind that the 2009-up carts have plastic gears as part of the components of the governor in the rear end, if You adjust the governor out too far it's not a question of "If" they'll grenade and lock up your rear end, but "When" ... With the Kawasaki's, it's almost essential to have a tach if You're going to set it up for speed, in addition to the delicate gears in the rear, the rev limiters in the ignition are actually set at a higher RPM than valve float (which makes them basically useless) - a tach is the only way to really be sure You're not going to destroy your engine if You're running with anything other than the factory governor settings for any extended period of time. Might not happen this year, might not happen next, but it will - maybe tomorrow, you never can tell.
I have a 2012 ezgo 13hp kawasaki engine had less than 300 hrs and piston rod broke crankcase has big holes dumped all oil when it blew up, we did increase the speed with the throttle cable but evedently the governor on the rear end was high or just bad motor I don't know, it always ran great never used any oil just don't know what happened? ?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Lester Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO