lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-11-2011, 01:06 AM   #1
theghoul
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO ST 4x4 - Optional High Output Alternator

Hi Guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I have acquired an ST 4x4 with a Curtis cab and electric dump. I think I went a little nuts by adding an electric heater, strobe light and ordered some brake lights.

I'm loving this machine and for the life of me, I cant understand why they discontinued it? I test drove a few gators and this machine seems more stout. Its not the fastest thing in the world but its pretty tough. The electric dump had no issues dumping 1/2 ton of cement I stacked in the back. The honda motor seems pretty good as well and starts quickly.

--BUT--

I've noticed that the battery charging indicator drops to low when everything is running. I think I'm taxing the system.

I've flipped through the manuals and noticed a few paragraphs talking about an "optional high output alternator". Does anyone know about this? I know the buggy is discontinued, but I'm hoping there may be a few pieces around to scrounge.

Enclosed are some pictures and the manual pages referencing the alternator.

Thanks heaps guys and I'm loving this forum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alternator1.jpg (81.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg alternator2.jpg (73.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-09-23 13.18.51.jpg (35.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-09-23 13.19.06.jpg (38.2 KB, 29 views)
theghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-11-2011, 01:23 AM   #2
rmarcusy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: EZGO ST 4x4 - Optional High Output Alternator

I've never seen a vec like yours, but I have converted hundreds of vec with higher amp alternators, and the pics make it look like yours would be easy, It's best to use a 10si alternator from most GM cars/trucks from 72 to the early 90's, they are low cost, easy to wire and produce 63amps . the hardest part is mounting the alt on your vec, the wiring is very simple,,,Most auto part stores will sell you one for under $40. The one from ezgo I would think would be from $100 and/or up.
rmarcusy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
tegger
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

That sounds like a nice idea. Wonder if I do a similar hookup on the ST350?
tegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:04 PM   #4
ml41887
Not Yet Wild

Shoot me a PM with your email address. I have a parts manual .pdf for the ST 4x4 and it shows the parts and what you need to hook it up on page H7. PTO shaft, wiring harness, alternator, mounting bracket etc. with part numbers. It looks pretty simple with the exception of the wiring harness. The PTO shaft will be the hardest thing to get, here's it's part number 73558-g01. Campingworld.com seems to have it but it's $286. Honestly, if your sure you want to do it, I'd get the PTO shaft and run the alternator to another battery and voltage regulator. There's enough room under the hood, and then run your accessories off of that through a relay. I hope this helps.
ml41887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:13 PM   #5
ml41887
Not Yet Wild

Also, call before ordering any parts from anyone. Zimmer tractor and a few other places will show parts available on their websites and then don't have them in stock. They're all buying through Woods and they're not always reliable. Parts are very hard to find for the ST 4x4, be ready to innovate and/or fabricate.
ml41887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:33 AM   #6
theghoul
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml41887 View Post
Shoot me a PM with your email address. I have a parts manual .pdf for the ST 4x4 and it shows the parts and what you need to hook it up on page H7. PTO shaft, wiring harness, alternator, mounting bracket etc. with part numbers. It looks pretty simple with the exception of the wiring harness. The PTO shaft will be the hardest thing to get, here's it's part number 73558-g01. Campingworld.com seems to have it but it's $286. Honestly, if your sure you want to do it, I'd get the PTO shaft and run the alternator to another battery and voltage regulator. There's enough room under the hood, and then run your accessories off of that through a relay. I hope this helps.
Cool. Thats some good information.

I usually order stuff from the highly expensive shopezgo.com. I'm hoping they keep parts around for a while. Its really a nice machine and pretty versatile.

I'll send you a PM
Old 11-19-2011, 04:44 AM   #7
theghoul
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml41887 View Post

Looks like I either do not have pm privilege or I'm not sure how to do it. Here is my email.

al (DOT) bradford (at) yahoo (dot) com

Thx
Old 12-28-2011, 06:09 PM   #8
theghoul
Not Yet Wild

Follow up:

I was able to find all the parts, save a few nuts and bolts using the ezgo numbers and the Woods MAV 4x4 numbers. Total cost was about $600, but the parts are still out there to put an alternator on it.

Picture enclosed.

Source: Shopezgo.com (with %25 coupon) and Messicks.com (note the Woods labels on the bags)

I was really surprised to see the mounting bracket, mounting shaft and electrical harness was still available.

Gonna mount it up and soon as I figure out how. I'll report back.

Thanks for the parts list Matt!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-12-28 17.55.31.jpg (419.4 KB, 25 views)
Old 01-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #9
gemmechanic
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

We have the same issues with ours. The factory alternator only has a 20 amp output at full speed. It will put out even less when idling. When we use the lights, wiper, salt spreader, and snow plow all together, the battery discharges quickly. Forget about using the electric heater with other accessories that have a heavy current draw. A larger battery may help extend things a little, but you will still need to periodically turn the accessories off and run the engine to allow the battery to recover. We need at least 60 amps.

EZ-GO does market a "optional high output charging system field kit." This is EZ-GO part number 72979G01 and retails for about $550. Hopefully it is still available from the dealers. I have not been able to find out what the increased amperage output of this kit is.

Daniel
Attached Images
File Type: gif EZ-GO ST 4X4 high output alternator.gif (124.6 KB, 9 views)
gemmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #10
theghoul
Not Yet Wild

Gemmechanic,

I was able to find a couple places to order the full kit online (after I ordered my parts )

Its cheaper than what I paid for the total parts. I wish I would have found it earlier.

If you do get it, please post the installation instructions. I want to make sure I hook mine up right. :)

http://ezgolfcart.com/i-3598515-h-o-...field-kit.html
($537)

and here:

http://www.m-and-d.com/EZGO-72979G01.html
($566)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO