lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-27-2010, 05:08 PM   #11
Billfo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: TXT-vs- RXV

Thanks for the reply. I returned without a cart.This dealer must have had over 200 carts.

I was told the 07-09 TXT has a 9 HP motor ? and the 08 RXV has an 11 HP motor ? Is THIS CORRECT ?

The salesmen/garage guy told me that the only problem "he" was aware of was with the starter selinoids, & they replaced all of them on their RXV carts.. BUT what threw me was the speed difference between different oem carts. The 2007 & 2009 (w/oem tires) were slower than my 36V electric. The 2008 RXV was faster then BOTH the TXTs, but not as fast as my 36V 97..( gps speed on my electric was 15 on rock road... Maybe cause the 22" tires)..I didnt think of the speedometer app on my Droid ! (**** it) As much as I like top speed... Its hill climbing ability that is most important to us.. Must get back up the hill from the boat dock.. I guess I am no more informed than when I left this morning...
Dealer prices ? Here ya go asking prices.. No lift kits-no big tires.

07 TXT $2950
09 TXT $3500
08 RXV $4000

Add the passenger set that converts to a flatbed and heavier leaf spring upgrade $600..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
They put a steel pin though an aluminim gas pedal a little bit of wet grass and sand and mud and the alumium corrodes and thhe pin rust just give it time in my opinion they quit using hitachi starter generartor in 2010 they went with an advance motors generator and the brushes are to big for the armature so wen they wear they wear a half cirle and hit the other brush then the cart don't go
Billfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-30-2010, 11:16 PM   #12
NoTyme
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I upgraded the rear springs myself because I move a trailer on my property weekly when cutting grass... sure made the ride rough.
It seems that the RXV's are so new that many aftermarket parts are still not available. I have been waiting on E-Z-GO to come out with their lift kit so not to void the warranty. But I plan on the upgrade this winter regardless...
I also feel that the electric carts have better control when pulling anything. I use my cart to drop a 40' tower attached to my house and that old electric did a much better job... too much time with the gas waiting on the belt to engage.
NoTyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:28 AM   #13
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

The RXV has the new KAW 13hp engine. EZGO went to the KAW engine in 08. The drivetrain will be close to the same b/t a txt and RXV. The difference is suspension. RXV has frt coil overs and a mono rear leaf springs where the TXT has frt leaf springs and rear multi-leaf springs.

Accessories for the RXV are more than the TXT. TO me the RXV gas is a dream. it rides/handles great. I like it much better than the TXT. I have had no issues out of the GAS rxv. For that matter I havn't much much issues out of the KAW 13hp engine.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:28 PM   #14
4mula1fan
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by COURTESYCART View Post
The RXV has the new KAW 13hp engine. EZGO went to the KAW engine in 08. The drivetrain will be close to the same b/t a txt and RXV. The difference is suspension. RXV has frt coil overs and a mono rear leaf springs where the TXT has frt leaf springs and rear multi-leaf springs.

Accessories for the RXV are more than the TXT. TO me the RXV gas is a dream. it rides/handles great. I like it much better than the TXT. I have had no issues out of the GAS rxv. For that matter I havn't much much issues out of the KAW 13hp engine.
Very well said, sir!
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #15
Billfo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thank you very much for the details.... excellent !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1fan View Post
Very well said, sir!
Billfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:26 AM   #16
steelpenguin79
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by COURTESYCART View Post

I have a 2002 TXT. My question is will the KAW engine fit right in if I want to do an engine swap for more power?
steelpenguin79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:52 AM   #17
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

The early (08-11) 13hp Kawasaki drivetrains were plagued with troubles, recalls, etc - the rear (driven) clutches were misbalanced and would often strip out, often damaging the output shafts in the process. There was a temporary fix some fleet providers were using in the form of a bolt-on balancer, but that wasn't a real solution, most were just recalled and refitted with TEAM clutches or after 2012, the new-style Kawasaki clutches (which are still prone to early failure) ...

Another major drawback to the 13hp Kawasaki drivetrain is the use of plastic gears in the governor assembly - disabling the external governor components can cause the rear end to over-rev and literally shatter the gears, locking up the rear end and causing an expensive mess to clean up.

As to the swap, no can do, the drives are on opposite sides. As to the extra claimed HP, I wouldn't put much stake in it, the Kawi is a single-cylinder engine which has a tendency towards vibration as well as a fairly narrow powerband. The old Fuji/Robins (pre-mid-0 295 and 350cc twins are MUCH smoother and develop a nice even amount of useful power throughout the RPM range, and overall are a much more pleasant cart to drive. I *will* give a slight edge to the new suspensions if You are staying on roads, groomed trails, etc but they tend to bottom out and get squirrely if You are doing any *real* off-road driving or are carrying multiple (3+) passengers.

Having owned/built/serviced hundreds of carts in the 6 years I have been in the hobby/industry, I would personally trade 2 carts w the Kawi drivetrains for a good older TXT if it were for my OWN personal use. That of course is just my opinion based on my experiences, I have many customers who are perfectly happy with their TXT/RXV carts and the Kawi's, although when we get those in we always replace the factory clutches if they already haven't.

Also, SteelPenguin, if Your 2002 is getting weak or You want more power, talk to Carrie at CT Rebuilds, for around $600 they will rebuild your engine as well as upgrade it to their "375" performance package, that will get you a real, useable 14+hp - pop another $80 to upgrade your driven clutch to 28 degree, another $35 for a shorter belt, and You will be AMAZED at what that cart will do.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:11 AM   #18
steelpenguin79
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
The early (08-11) 13hp Kawasaki drivetrains were plagued with troubles, recalls, etc - the rear (driven) clutches were misbalanced and would often strip out, often damaging the output shafts in the process. There was a temporary fix some fleet providers were using in the form of a bolt-on balancer, but that wasn't a real solution, most were just recalled and refitted with TEAM clutches or after 2012, the new-style Kawasaki clutches (which are still prone to early failure) ...

Another major drawback to the 13hp Kawasaki drivetrain is the use of plastic gears in the governor assembly - disabling the external governor components can cause the rear end to over-rev and literally shatter the gears, locking up the rear end and causing an expensive mess to clean up.

As to the swap, no can do, the drives are on opposite sides. As to the extra claimed HP, I wouldn't put much stake in it, the Kawi is a single-cylinder engine which has a tendency towards vibration as well as a fairly narrow powerband. The old Fuji/Robins (pre-mid-0 295 and 350cc twins are MUCH smoother and develop a nice even amount of useful power throughout the RPM range, and overall are a much more pleasant cart to drive. I *will* give a slight edge to the new suspensions if You are staying on roads, groomed trails, etc but they tend to bottom out and get squirrely if You are doing any *real* off-road driving or are carrying multiple (3+) passengers.

Having owned/built/serviced hundreds of carts in the 6 years I have been in the hobby/industry, I would personally trade 2 carts w the Kawi drivetrains for a good older TXT if it were for my OWN personal use. That of course is just my opinion based on my experiences, I have many customers who are perfectly happy with their TXT/RXV carts and the Kawi's, although when we get those in we always replace the factory clutches if they already haven't.

Also, SteelPenguin, if Your 2002 is getting weak or You want more power, talk to Carrie at CT Rebuilds, for around $600 they will rebuild your engine as well as upgrade it to their "375" performance package, that will get you a real, useable 14+hp - pop another $80 to upgrade your driven clutch to 28 degree, another $35 for a shorter belt, and You will be AMAZED at what that cart will do.
Right now my cart does 14 mph. Governor limited. I would like to have the cart in the 20-25 mph range. The engine is in good shape. I bought new rims and tires for it yesterday. The tire size is 215-35-12. Besides an engine swap, what can I do to make it go faster? And yes I know, get rid of the governor.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:02 AM   #19
steelpenguin79
Getting Wild

Bump

Right now my cart does 14 mph. Governor limited. I would like to have the cart in the 20-25 mph range. The engine is in good shape. I bought new rims and tires for it yesterday. The tire size is 215-35-12. Besides an engine swap, what can I do to make it go faster? And yes I know, get rid of the governor. But what else can I do to increase the speed and power?
Old 06-15-2017, 11:05 AM   #20
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

On a 2002, Taller Tires (IE 22-23") and Governor tweak will get You up around 22mph or so, as to torque the easiest methods are to swap to a shorter belt (there's a thread in the "EZGO Gas Tech" section which will lead You through what you need) or You could always either rebuild Your clutch to 28 degree specs (Helix and Sheave) or just swap to a new 28 degree driven clutch, the rebuild is around $90, new clutch altogether will be closer to $175-200 but is a lot easier for the "average bear" to install. There are also "Torque Kits" out there which are basically a stiffer spring for the driven clutch, they *do* work but nowhere near as much as swapping your stock 36 degree driven clutch for a 28.

If You don't want to go with bigger tires (considering You just popped for new ones) then here's the ultimate package for You, swap the driven clutch to a 28 degree with a shorter belt which will bump your overall torque about 25% or so, then install a set of 8:1 gears in the rear end. The gears will give You another 6-7mph on the top end, and the clutching/belt changes will offset any loss of torque. They make 6:1 gears, those will give You over 10mph gain up top however they really rob torque, most people don't like that ratio even WITH clutch mods unless they're running a 3500cc or larger engine (and I'm assuming Your cart has the stock 295 in it).

One of our "Demo Carts" that we keep around here to show customers what the different mods can do is a stock 350cc Robins with 28deg clutch, 27077 belt, red clutch spring, and 6:1 gears. That cart sits on 14" tires that are 20.5" tall and will cruise smoothly on the pavement at 32mph all day and will also break the tires loose on grass or gravel if You hammer it with a single driver. I would venture that the same mods except 8:1 gears and a stock 295cc should easily get You over 25mph on the tires You have with torque to spare, You're at $175 for the clutch, $30 for the belt, and around $280-300 on the gearset - the only really tricky install are the gears but there's a lot of info and videos, etc out there to help You out. Hope this info helped !
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO