lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2017, 09:02 AM   #1
jwnoord
Not Yet Wild

Default Need manual for a 1977 Marathon

We recently bought a very nice "looking" 1977 Marathon with a 2 cycle 244CC Robin. I am having trouble figuring out the proper way the accelerator and governor linkages are supposed to be set up. particularly the springs on the cables on the engine.

Does anyone have a picture of what it is supposed to look like? I was able to improvise some "Springs" using "Very small" bungee cords to provide enough tension to the governor cable to keep it from interfering with the butterfly on the carb (it was keeping the spring loaded lever from opening fully.

Right now seems to be working much better and the governor is working. trouble is that after running well , if I back off of it suddenly and slow down, the engine takes FOREVER to rev back up. In fact I have had to choke it at that point. so I am suspecting the low speed adjustment. This is with the muffler bolts out and a small gap in the exhaust (i know that is bad, but wasn't driving it very far) Did get lots of looks at the campground driving it with seat off and sitting on the arm rest!! HAH well I couldn't see what was going on and I Was able to fix "Some" of the problems.

Other issue we had (that precipitated current situation) is the muffler is plugged with carbon. I took some internet (youtube) advice and "cooked it" in the bbq pit and did get some sooty residue and carbon to come out. Go figure, it wasn't working as is.

Working further on that probably with first high pressure air hose, and maybe cut open the casing and clean both internal chambers then weld it back up.

Also, looking for a service manual for this as there are are a few things I need to repair (i.e. front axle needs a little work as the whee moves laterally about a 1/2 inch.

Finally if anyone has info on the brackets required to attach a top to the cart, that would be cool as well. I am going to build one, but want to make it a "cross buck" like the original and also add a front bracket.

It is in such good physical shape, we want to make it as stock appearing as possible, but paint don't' make it go!

My wife has "claimed this as hers" at the campground so also need to keep mamma happy as well.

I am new to these things (VERY) so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lots more curious to fix this than say racing engines or airplane engines!!! So hats off to you "enthusiasts/experts" out there.

Sorry fr the long post, but thought I'd try to cover as much ground as possible to explain the situation.

Last edited by jwnoord; 06-15-2017 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: spelling
jwnoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2017, 04:10 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need manual for a 1977 Marathon

This manual should help. I would get rid of the governor. You only really need the choke, and throttle cable.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EZ-GO GX440 GX444 1976 revised 78.pdf (16.27 MB, 0 views)
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:13 PM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need manual for a 1977 Marathon

I also have this file. It's smaller than the first one, and the name is a misprint. It's for 1970-1980. You can compare them.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EZ-GO GX440 GX444 1970-1990 EC25DS ENGINE (1).pdf (4.41 MB, 0 views)
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, governor, springs, throttle, top
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO