lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2019, 05:21 PM   #1
aceon3
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha gas cart starting problem

I have 2013 Yamaha gas powered golf cart that when you press the gas pedal you hear a humming sound and the selinoid click but the cat doesn’t start if you hold the pedal down for 20-30 seconds it will start and run fine but if you stop it’s the same thing all over again
aceon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-10-2019, 05:33 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Yamaha gas cart starting problem

Humming could be interpreted 2 ways. Either it's a relay/solenoid chattering (sounds like a buzz or a hum). This is generally caused by a weak battery.

Or it could be the starter/generator turning but the belt is too loose to grab and turn the motor.

Flip up the seat as it's doing it and see if theres anything spinning or moving.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:25 PM   #3
aceon3
Not Yet Wild

Nothing is turning I lifted the seat and looked
Old 06-11-2019, 08:01 AM   #4
spcurtiss
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Easy starting point would be tighten the starter belt.
spcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:55 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

If the starter/generator is not turning then you need to find out where the humming is coming from. I'm guessing either the solenoid or a relay somewhere.

Have you tried using a jumpstart box or hooking up jumper cables to it? If neither is really an option, I'd simply pull the battery out and have it tested before going too crazy trying to figure it out. most of the time a buzzing noise is just a relay chattering from low voltage.

Worth taking 5 minutes to clean the battery posts and cable terminals with a wire brush real good too. a lot of dirt tends to make its way between the cable and the post and can make bad contact and cause problems.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:48 AM   #6
aceon3
Not Yet Wild

It is a brand new battery and it test good would a loose starte belt cause the problem that I’m having
Old 06-11-2019, 09:56 AM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

No, you said nothing is spinning under the seat. If the starter/generator belt were loose you would at least be seeing the starter/generator spinning. Can you lift the seat and confirm the starter is turning or not? It will be on the other end of the small thin belt.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #8
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceon3 View Post
Nothing is turning I lifted the seat and looked
Just note that, oftentimes, the starter will be spinning even though the belt isn't. You really have to specifically examine the starter closely to see if it's moving or not. To an inexperienced eye, the starter can appear as if it's not moving when it is.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:02 AM   #9
jkrash
Getting Wild

Columbia

I have a g9 that does the same thing minus the hum, I hear a click when I push the pedal and nothing, leave my foot on the pedal and it will take off after a few seconds, sometimes I push and release the pedal 5 to 10 times before it goes. If I rock the cart it pops and runs sometimes. I checked all electrical connections that I can find.
jkrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:49 AM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrash View Post
I have a g9 that does the same thing minus the hum, I hear a click when I push the pedal and nothing, leave my foot on the pedal and it will take off after a few seconds, sometimes I push and release the pedal 5 to 10 times before it goes. If I rock the cart it pops and runs sometimes. I checked all electrical connections that I can find.
Start simple, remove the battery terminals. Clean the posts with a wire brush. Clean the battery terminals where they connect to the battery posts with a wire brush as well so everything is shiny and new looking.

If that doesn't fix it then check the brushes in the starter/generator. It's a bit of a chore to remove it in a G9 but not too bad... but once you get it removed, replacing the brushes is a pretty easy and straight-forward task.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha