lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-14-2013, 11:22 PM   #1
hsdtech
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Exclamation 2004 EZGO TXT Starting Problem

I was hoping to get some replies on another thread but I'll just start my own.

I have a 2004 EZGO TXT that is very hard to start now. It will flood out after about a minute of holding the pedal down trying to start it.
I figured it was a clogged carb so I took it off and cleaned it, though it wasn't very dirty. I also checked the fuel pump and it looked in very good clean condition. It's definitely getting gas to the carb.
It has a new air filter, and I changed the oil and installed new spark plugs. Didn't fix the problem.

Now, after it finally fires up there are no problems until it sits for a few hours or overnight then the same thing happens.
What is the "ignitor"? A coil? Could this be the problem? What about the PCV valve? Thanks.
hsdtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2013, 04:13 AM   #2
mcdave71
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2004 EZGO TXT Starting Problem

Needle and seat in the carb working good? Sounds like fuel may be leaking past the needle and flooding the engine when turned off. If you have a fuel shutoff in line you could try turning it off and running it out of fuel and then letting it sit til the next day and see if it cranks ok once fuel is turned back on.
mcdave71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
hsdtech
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the reply. No it only starts to flood after about a minute of trying to start it. The needle was fine and I used carb cleaner and blew out the jets, seat, etc.
I need to check the spark, but like I said after it finally cranks up it runs fine.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
jeffrun
Gone Wild

Have you checked your valve lash clearances? The ezgo tech section has the procedure. The ignitor fires the coil, when the pulsar triggers it.Check your grounds around the ignitor and battery.
jeffrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:25 PM   #5
hsdtech
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Just did some checking, and I noticed the microswitch next to the reverse buzzer only has one wire. It's a red wire jumped to the buzzer. It looks like there should be another tang on the switch, but may be broken off. I say this because hanging below there is another red wire that is not connected to anything, but has 12v on it when the key is on.
Should this wire also be connected to the microswitch? Running with the 2nd red wire is a green wire.
I'm thinking a tang on the switch broke off where the second red wire with 12v should be. I have the service manual but its unclear if the switch should have 2 red wires.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:03 AM   #6
hsdtech
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I took the microswitch out, had to break it off the mounting bolts because the bolts were bent, so I hope I didn't create another problem if a new switch has to be mounted in the exact same spot.

The switch has 2 tangs broken off. So it only has 1 working tang. I guess this was/is the starting problem?

Is there a way I can bypass this switch and buzzer?
Old 08-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
sonora
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrun View Post
Have you checked your valve lash clearances? The ezgo tech section has the procedure. The ignitor fires the coil, when the pulsar triggers it.Check your grounds around the ignitor and battery.
What he said. Have you adjusted your valves?
sonora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #8
hsdtech
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

No I haven't checked the valves yet. I don't think thats the problem. First thing this morning it started right up and ran good. I let off the pedal and pushed it again and it would not start again.
I checked the fuel pump and its pumping the gas to the carb. I checked the ignition coil and wires w/VOM and it checks out. I did get a high reading on the pulser coil. Manual says 433.5-586.5 ohms, I got 1850 ohms. I have shot the grounds and most connectors with spray. I haven't had time to clean/grind grounds yet.
But after trying to start it, there is still a fuel smell like its flooding. No leaks.
So I'm thinking the pulser coil is bad because of the reading, BUT once in a while it will start and run. Does anyone know if when the pulser coil goes bad if it totally dies, or can it still function on and off?
Old 08-18-2013, 11:59 PM   #9
pete959
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

if the motors spins but dont fire then the micro switch isnt ur problem. u need fuel ,spark and compression to run. next time it dont start check to see if u have spark. if no spark i would lean towards igniter before anything else
pete959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #10
hsdtech
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

It's got spark, fuel, air. I haven't checked compression with a gauge but it's on the list.

Earlier I went to start it after it sat well over 12 hours, and it fired right up. Ran the motor in the driveway for a few minutes then killed it. I hit the pedal again and it wouldn't start, and it started to flood as I tried to start it. I pulled the plugs and they were wet with fuel. I checked spark and both plugs were firing.

So I'm going to check the valve clearance next. That seems to be the most likely cause of the flooding since I've already gone through the carb and checked that the fuel pump is working.
I'll post what I find to help anyone else having similar problems. By the way thanks for all the replies.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO