lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-22-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
ezgo hot rod
Getting Wild

Default Ezgo marathon drive belt

Hey so i got a 85 ezgo marathon 2 cycle. I just put a new belt on it and something doesnt seem right. The belt is actually acting as a brake, when i get into high rpms, the cyntrifical clutch i guess you can say engages if you will, tightening on the belt. Now, that is normal, but the clutch pinches the belt so much that it just completely stops the cart and acts as a brake. It has come to the point where the wall to the clutch is separated from the actual clutch body if you can picture that and know what i am talking about. Now the belt is the stock belt, i am 100 percent sure on that, are there any adjustments i can make, or my though was the belt needs to be worn in, but idk. Maybe i could stretch the belt a bit?

Help me out,

thanks,
-Ethan
ezgo hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
ezgo hot rod
Getting Wild

Default Re: Ezgo marathon drive belt

By the way we are talking about the drive belt here
Old 02-22-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Sounds like your driven clutch on the rear axle is froze up. As the engine revs, the front clutch will close up pulling the belt into the rear clutch, now as you pick up speed the rear clutch will open up as the front closes to give you a differant gear ratio to go faster. As you slow down the reverse happens and gears you down for more power.
rokcrlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
ezgo hot rod
Getting Wild

What do you mean by frozen up. The clutch still moves in and out, tightening and backing off if you will, If it is frozen up, how would i fix this?
Old 02-23-2011, 06:44 AM   #5
Pocono Country Boy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sounds like the governor is kicking in and making your cart slow when you bump up against the pre-set top speed. That's how they are designed. Loosen and move the cable stop towards the end of the cable a half inch to an inch on the governor cable at the carb and give it a little more range and see what that does for you.
Pocono Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:08 AM   #6
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezgo hot rod View Post
What do you mean by frozen up. The clutch still moves in and out, tightening and backing off if you will, If it is frozen up, how would i fix this?
You didn't say that in your first post
rokcrlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:32 AM   #7
ezgo hot rod
Getting Wild

Govenor is already taken off. Rokcrlr, i think we were talking about different clutches, if you were talking about the driven clutch being frozen up, then how should i fix this?
Old 02-23-2011, 08:36 AM   #8
rusty shackel
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

i think he means the secondary [rear] clutch on the axle is possible froze NOT the main clutch.
TO check that jack up the rear end off the ground BLOCK the front wheels and
rev it up watch every thing.
The main [primary ] clutch should close, the secondary clutch should open and the main clutch at top speed with go back open also acting as fourth gear.
are the belts the same number ?

rusty s
rusty shackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:04 PM   #9
ezgo hot rod
Getting Wild

So i checked the driven clutch and it is not frozen up, it moves in and out fine. I took the drive clutch off and everything about it is very sloppy. All of the wear parts are obviously toast. Do they sell individual parts for these clutches, or just a flat out rebuild kit?

Thanks for the help and your time!
Old 02-23-2011, 08:49 PM   #10
rusty shackel
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

cheaper to buy a clutch and slap it on -n- go .

rusty s
rusty shackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO