lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-11-2007, 11:26 PM   #1
t3cj5
Not Yet Wild

Default what clutch????

ok people, please help. I just got a kohler 16hp for my workhorse and was hoping to re-use the ezgo drive clutch but after removing the clutch from the stock 350 i'm not so sure. the shaft on the kohler looks to be around 1-1/8 in dia. with a keyway and the stock clutch has a sleeve and tapered shaft. what clutch should i be looking for, i am going to run an alternator with this set up so i will need the extra inboard pulley like the stock. someone told me the chushman clutch has tha and will slide right on the kohler shaft . any help with this would be great. thanks Ted
t3cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-12-2007, 04:46 AM   #2
tungpo1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: what clutch????

I have the comet 1190 it will fit right on!!! but its $500
tungpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:39 AM   #3
ruredy
Born Wild

Ted, you can have your clutch machined to fit that shaft, most any machine shop can do it.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:17 AM   #4
t3cj5
Not Yet Wild

thanks for the fast replies, yes i did look at the comet and also the price tag wow, i guess thats last resort. thanks ruredy, do you know if i will have to cut down the shaft once i have the clutch machined, and just to pick your brain; will the stock clutch hold ? how will the clutch stay in place ? do i have a keyway cut into the clutch ? or just the "sleeve" in it removed ? i'm sorry to sound like an idiot i just havent done one of these swaps before and want this thing to hold together. i would much rather use the stock clutch for several reasons, price, the inside alt. pulley is there, i know the belt i have will index properly. just to name a few. thanks for any help. Ted ps ruredy, thats a sweet looking horse on your avatar. i read that you have a locking rear in that can you explain that to me ? mine is the workhorse 1200 LX and i would love to be able to select the diff. but that's still down the road for now. thanks again for all your help. Everyone. Ted
Old 09-12-2007, 05:56 PM   #5
ruredy
Born Wild

Ted, I never have had a clutch done so I don't know these things first hand, only what i've been told by people who have had it done. i'm sure you don't have to cut the engine shaft, it should bolt on like it does now. They make the hole the size of the shaft and cut a keyway in it. It should handle the extra hp with no problems. lots of people have had this done with no problems. when I was checking into it before the cost was around $85 to do one. I believe it was walkntall (Frank) from alpha carts that was telling me all about it.
The locking rear in my cart looks like a normal rear end but there is a extra bolt on part to the housing where the axle tube bolts up on the pass. side. It has a lever with cable that runs to another lever between the seats. when you want the rear to lock you move the lever to the lock position and shazzzam, the wheels are locked together
Old 09-12-2007, 11:31 PM   #6
t3cj5
Not Yet Wild

ruredy, could you take a pic. of the rear in your cart and post it or send it to me? i sent me motor and stock clutch to get machined, now onto the rest of the project. i'm wondering if i can add the locking diff. to my rear, i havent found a kit on bu or any other parts site. i'm hoping the factory clutch works but i will keep moving forward with the rest of the cart, front end being mocked up this weekend, (double A arm 4 wheeler type) the rear should be cake i've done the axle flop and now want to link the whole thing, front disc brake set up, and the 16hp should be enough for now. ok thanks for all your help. Ted
Old 09-21-2007, 11:54 PM   #7
t3cj5
Not Yet Wild

doe sanyone have a belt number i should be running with this set up or even where i can start looking for one i'm using the stock workhorse clutch and the standard driven clutch. thanks for any info. about this. Ted
Old 01-06-2008, 07:13 PM   #8
prohauler700
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruredy View Post
Ted, I never have had a clutch done so I don't know these things first hand, only what i've been told by people who have had it done. i'm sure you don't have to cut the engine shaft, it should bolt on like it does now. They make the hole the size of the shaft and cut a keyway in it. It should handle the extra hp with no problems. lots of people have had this done with no problems. when I was checking into it before the cost was around $85 to do one. I believe it was walkntall (Frank) from alpha carts that was telling me all about it.
The locking rear in my cart looks like a normal rear end but there is a extra bolt on part to the housing where the axle tube bolts up on the pass. side. It has a lever with cable that runs to another lever between the seats. when you want the rear to lock you move the lever to the lock position and shazzzam, the wheels are locked together
Does it look like this???? Cause I have been wondering what this is!!
prohauler700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:44 AM   #9
ruredy
Born Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by prohauler700 View Post
Does it look like this???? Cause I have been wondering what this is!!
No it doesn't look like that, that looks to be the shaft for a mechanical governor but i'm not 100% sure about that.
Sorry about the delayed reply, I don't often get to read these sections and I started to forget things now that i'm old .
the locker part (on the ezgo)bolts on between the tube and the housing like this
Old 08-07-2008, 12:30 AM   #10
kubota paul
Not Yet Wild

i have 97 club car. i just got 780 clutch from tom. and ezgo belt the belt to wide 4 the back clutch. do i need it mac. are can i do something with it. thank yall 4 some help. kubota paul
kubota paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!