lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-31-2008, 01:05 PM   #1
loads1161
Not Yet Wild

Default Starter Brushes

I have a 1994 club car that i bought used and it has been great. I think I need to replace the starter brushes, (what I hear) I need a picture or diagram to locare the starter. I think it is the big black cylinder on top of the engine, but thought that might be the alternator, (do I even have an alternator, any way am I on the right track? The symptoms were that every once in a while I press the gas pedal down and I get nothing. I might come back alittle bit later or move the cart by hand and it will start right up and go. Where is the starter? thanks
loads1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-31-2008, 01:15 PM   #2
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Starter Brushes

Alternator (generator) and starter are the same unit. Once it starts your engine the engine turns it and it becomes a generator to charge your battery.
CartTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:18 PM   #3
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

By the way mine did the same thing and the belt was just a bit loose. Tightened it up (the belt) and now it is fine, my old brushes looked as good as the ones I was going to put in it.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:21 PM   #4
loads1161
Not Yet Wild

so it is the black cylinder on top? thats easy, are the brushes under the screws on the side?
Old 12-31-2008, 04:04 PM   #5
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

I`m going to say probably the black cylinder since I can`t see what you`re looking at. My brushes were under a rubber seal on one end. 4 in all, 2 for the starter and 2 for the generator. Now bear in mind my CC is a 95. Is there a label on your S/G ? and a small belt going down to the engine?
Old 12-31-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
loads1161
Not Yet Wild

I won't be at the cart until the weekend, there is a small belt going down to the engine and there is a couple of think wires going to it also. I thought that the brushes would be at one end (opposite of the belt) and that there would be 4 in a circle. i have seen some replacements that look that way. I just wanted to hear that someone else agrees with that. I dont have a manual and would rather not spend $75 on one. I dont understand why someone hasn't post them on the web somewhere. thanks for your help and I will post again with the other info as it comes available.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:36 PM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

brushes are very easy to install once you get the starter out.........take the 4 rubber inspection tabs outs and you hasve access to each brush now this is where you need to be careful and take your time................i get my phillips head and break all 4 screws loose holding the brush wire on than with a curved type dentist pick i get under the spring and pull it up and out of the way than take the screw out............pull the brush out put new one in and put spring back on top of brush........than you can line up the wire end and put screw back in............do this 4 times and your done...........worse case is you lose the spring for some reason and it ends up in the starter so than you have to take starter apart get the spring and do it that way.............if you can change them without taking the starter all the way apart you can also do a decent job cleaning the starter...........use a compressor get a blow tool with a semi curved end and blow thur all the brush openings until not much is coming out in the way of black nasty dust..............than a can of brake cleen use the whole can spraying in thereand getting everything you can and than blow it all out again than let it sit a few hours for the brake cleen to dry................put it back togather uour done................the whole job less taking the starter off and drying time is less than an hour and its not a bad job............................................... ............
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:17 AM   #8
loads1161
Not Yet Wild

I think I got it tom, thanks for being so specific, one more thing, to get the generator out is the generator mounted like a car alternator where the mounting bolts are what creates the tension on the belt or is there something else that keeps tension on the belt. thanks again Scott
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car