lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-31-2016, 09:40 AM   #1
Mr. Mike
It's Beer Time!

Yamaha

Default Yamaha G1 Clutch

My dad has a G1 and lately it has become jerky. I said the clutches probably need to be either serviced or rebuilt. Unfortunately his cart sits at his campground and I haven't seen the engine in 10 years. I told him to run it thru the summer and I'll service the clutches in the fall. My question; is the drive clutch the same one that was used on any of the older G series carts. So I can rebuild it or is the clutch specific to the G1? If the G1 clutch is different, then can I fit any of the older style clutches on it?

Does that go for the driven/secondary clutch as well?
Mr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-31-2016, 10:54 AM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G1 Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
My dad has a G1 and lately it has become jerky. I said the clutches probably need to be either serviced or rebuilt. Unfortunately his cart sits at his campground and I haven't seen the engine in 10 years. I told him to run it thru the summer and I'll service the clutches in the fall. My question; is the drive clutch the same one that was used on any of the older G series carts. So I can rebuild it or is the clutch specific to the G1? If the G1 clutch is different, then can I fit any of the older style clutches on it?

Does that go for the driven/secondary clutch as well?
Depends on the year of the G1. Early G1's used an aluminum capped 4 weight primary, where later models used the gold steel cap 3 weight clutch simular to your 4 cycle clutch's. The fixed sheave's are different on G1's, they have a gear drive for the oil pump on the back. The secondary's, although similar in function, the G1 has no preload and ramp shoes on the spring seat and sliding sheave. Normally diassembly, cleaning and greasing (maybe new ramp shoes) will take care of the problem.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:31 PM   #3
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Mine was real bad at the start would feel like wip lash but ran fine once it was engaged just needed cleaned up and shaft lubed just make sure you use a dry lithium grease if you use lubricant
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:48 PM   #4
Mr. Mike
It's Beer Time!

Yamaha

Thanks. So if he doesn't use the oil injection anyway cause he premixes then i could really use any older style yamaha clutch? Yes?
Old 07-31-2016, 08:11 PM   #5
Dmaxowner
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I am kinda in the same boat. I would like to know if I can use a G2 clutch on my rear diff.
Dmaxowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:36 AM   #6
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaxowner View Post
I am kinda in the same boat. I would like to know if I can use a G2 clutch on my rear diff.
Not if you're putting that G2 sheave on a G1 diff. The G1 needs the ramp shoes for forward and reverse.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:45 PM   #7
Dmaxowner
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
Not if you're putting that G2 sheave on a G1 diff. The G1 needs the ramp shoes for forward and reverse.
So does the G2 clutch not have ramp shoes? Sorry this whole sliding sheave thing and rear diff/trans thing to me is all new. I am trying to understand how it all works. Sorry not trying to hi-jack a thread here. I will start a new one.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:33 PM   #8
Mr. Mike
It's Beer Time!

Yamaha

You're fine. I can answer that. The G1 engine runs either forwards or backwards depending on the direction that you want it to go. This means that the secondary clutch also spins in both directions depending on the direction. So it needs ramp shoes to grab and slide on in both directions.

The G2 is a 4 stroke so the engine can only start in one direction. Therefore the differential changes it's direction internally. The secondary clutch only spins one direction. The gears inside the diff change. So it only needs shoes for one direction of travel.

I hope that makes sense. Someone else can probably clarify my jibber jabber.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:45 PM   #9
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
You're fine. I can answer that. The G1 engine runs either forwards or backwards depending on the direction that you want it to go. This means that the secondary clutch also spins in both directions depending on the direction. So it needs ramp shoes to grab and slide on in both directions.

The G2 is a 4 stroke so the engine can only start in one direction. Therefore the differential changes it's direction internally. The secondary clutch only spins one direction. The gears inside the diff change. So it only needs shoes for one direction of travel.

I hope that makes sense. Someone else can probably clarify my jibber jabber.
^^^what he said.... That's actually one of the best description I've heard about the G1 diff vs G2 diff. Nicely put

Last edited by Molon Labe; 08-01-2016 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: Brain fart
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:33 PM   #10
Dmaxowner
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

**** so since I'm going to be running a 380cc Rotax 2 stroke I will need to run the G1 rear diff clutch. I kind of understand this. It's weird having something with 2 clutches and how they name them.
Btw I started a new thread. Thanks for the help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha