lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-24-2021, 07:47 PM   #1
messala69
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 2009 EZGo RXV shutting off/not fully charging

Hi guys, golf cart user here via my husband's account. I need a little guidance please.

We have a 2009 EZGO RXV 48V, modified to take 6 8V batteries. It currently has 6 Brute Force 8V batteries in it. These batteries are about 3 years old, and not wanting to charge all the way up even if charged overnight.

Recently, it has started not wanting to go/shutting off when I press the pedal. I get a "THUNK" and it dies. Restarting it is a struggle most of the time, I have to turn the key several times. I get repetitive short buzz then THUNK. Eventually it gives me the long low buzz that tells me it is ready to go.

It is used for about a half hour 2-3x a day to feed horses.

Any ideas on what is going on? I am pretty sure that the batteries need to be replaced, can anyone make suggestions on what to buy?? He told me to research Trojan 12V batteries, but, thinking you might have something else to suggest. Is there anything beyond the batteries we need to look at?

Thanks much!

Tam
messala69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-24-2021, 07:56 PM   #2
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2009 EZGo RXV shutting off/not fully charging

Get 6 Trojans T875's and they will serve you well. Just take good care of them.
usgicollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:43 PM   #3
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The 8v batteries are better than the 12v ones. Batteries have a finite number of charge cycles available. When they won't fully charge that is a sign of end of life approaching. You can use them until they won't take you where you want to go--then replace.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:30 PM   #4
mccainc
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

If you’re saying that occasionally when you turn on the key you get a “buzz, buzz, buzz” instead of the steady buzz when in reverse, then that is a common issue with the Danaher controller found on early RXVs. In short, it’s caused by the controller thinking the motor brake failed it’s start test. The only solution is to do your best not to move or shake the cart at all when you turn on the key, or as you have found, cycle the key until it finally works. My cart has been doing this on occasion for years. The only fix is to have the controller reprogrammed or replaced. Replacing the motor brake may or may not help. I believe this is a separate issue than your batteries not charging all the way up, and as mentioned, they probably need to be replaced

2010 RXV, Danaher controller, 14s Leaf lithium conversion, CleanPowerAuto miniBMS and EV display, Quick Charge 25A charger, 3” lift, 23” tires. UNDER CONSTRUCTION: Upgrade in progress.
mccainc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:15 AM   #5
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

For the condition of batteries, good to check the pack voltage and each single battery. The problem with buzz, buzz seemed to be solved with the Danaher software update (5.9), it has never happend to me since 2017, when i bought my cart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210225_170434.jpg (82.7 KB, 0 views)
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:55 AM   #6
messala69
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thank you everyone! I will see that the battery changes are made and we will look into the controller. :)
messala69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:34 AM   #7
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

You have not mentioned age of batteries or what voltage they are....I would charge them overnite, let rest for 12 hours and check pack voltage. Leave the connections of the voltmeter on pack and take it for a drive and record what pack falls to. Then post numbers here. May not be batterys and be a shame to spend $600 - $700 on what you MAY THINK is the problem- then it's not. Start with that.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:30 PM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

May want to check the water levels as well and only use distilled water.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO