lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-09-2021, 11:43 PM   #1
Welsh619
Not Yet Wild

Default Safe tie rod end engagement

Hey everybody hope all is well. Finally got my all sports 3” spindle lift and installed it in a couple hours. Question is what is a safe engagement distance for the tie rod end? Drive2 cart. Cart went straight before but the wheel was a bit off. Centered the wheel after the lift, before alignment, and now (after alignment) the tie rod engagement is super unequal and the passenger side is nearly out. Cart will not be abused but I want to be safe. Going to take some more measurements tonight to make sure I’m thinking straight. No obvious damage to steering rack/assembly/parts but also don’t want to believe the spindles would be uneven from all sports. Pic just for fun...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45F07368-6A44-4B72-93CF-EE104D359D88.jpg (202.9 KB, 0 views)
Welsh619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-10-2021, 01:28 AM   #2
Welsh619
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Safe tie rod end engagement

Ok so 1/2” of threads on drivers side (sticking out past jam nut) and 3/4” on passenger side. Appears steering arms are at slightly different angles which is disappointing but doesn’t seem like enough to be off that far. Thing is with steering wheel straight it will track right (which is on me I’ll own that) but that would mean I need to adjust wheels back to the left which takes even more threads out of the passenger side rod end! So yeah any ideas?

Edit: Found a better way to measure steering arm angle and they are VERY different...I’ll call all sports in the morning and see what they have to say. I will say that despite them being untruthful a couple times I have had very pleasant interactions with them over the last few months so I’m hoping for the best...I’ll let you know.
Old 02-10-2021, 08:31 AM   #3
HeatWave
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh619 View Post
Hey everybody hope all is well. Finally got my all sports 3” spindle lift and installed it in a couple hours. Question is what is a safe engagement distance for the tie rod end? Drive2 cart. Cart went straight before but the wheel was a bit off. Centered the wheel after the lift, before alignment, and now (after alignment) the tie rod engagement is super unequal and the passenger side is nearly out. Cart will not be abused but I want to be safe. Going to take some more measurements tonight to make sure I’m thinking straight. No obvious damage to steering rack/assembly/parts but also don’t want to believe the spindles would be uneven from all sports. Pic just for fun...
Greater than, the diameter of the threaded portion of the tie rod end.
HeatWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:37 AM   #4
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Turn tie-rod ends all the way in before you hook up, then turn tie-rod to adjust wheels back straight, with someone holding the steering wheel center (stop to stop and find center, don't go by the steering wheel) That way you will have even threads showing and your cart won't turn further in one direction than the other.

I adjust the wheels straight just by eye balling down the side of the cart wheel to wheel, then fine tune with a tape measure across the front of the tires and then back of the tires.. about 1/4" toe-in.

Never ever had trouble with allsports kits.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:38 AM   #5
Welsh619
Not Yet Wild

Heat wave that was exactly what I was looking for thank you! Thank you also stove bolt.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:36 PM   #6
Welsh619
Not Yet Wild

Forgot to come back and post but better late than never... Easily got ahold of all sports and after a couple emails and a quick phone conversation the salesperson was going to have his “tech” call me. Turns out his “tech” is the owner who spoke with me briefly and promptly sent me out two new spindles. He said that although they have a couple robot welders now they aren’t working on what I had ordered and chalked it up to human error which I completely understand. We spindles are on (even though I just needed the one) and everything is as it should be. Thank you very much All Sportsfor standing behind your product and customer.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:00 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Job well done! Good to know All Sports stands behind their products and will recognize and correct an error.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts