lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-04-2008, 02:25 PM   #11
Jeff Gordon's G2
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Need Help On A 20hp Vanguard Swap!!!

I am grateful for the suggestions. I will go with the Vanguard. My cart has the double wishbone 7" lift with 21" mudders so hopefully it will be enough room for the motor.
Jeff Gordon's G2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2008, 02:42 PM   #12
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

You will have plenty of room.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:30 PM   #13
Jeff Gordon's G2
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Ok folks...have a few more questions. My 20 HP Vanguard I bought used. It has the air filter/gas tank combo mounted on top with a canister type air filter. Well my question is, where am I going to find a low cost(I am nearly broke from all the mods on this cart) flat type air filter assembly? Another thing is that the gas was gravity fed into the carb. Well I know I have a fuel pump on the cart from the original motor and know what end goes to the carb, but where does the air tube go that operates the pump? Another thing....since the motor keeps running, won't the clutch engage right away? Also, the Honda has a rectifier/regulator so it will throw a charge back into the battery...does the Vanguard have one also? I just bought the motor mounts and a Comet 780 clutch from CPP which is supposed to be here next Tuesday. All this is really making me lean toward my Honda 18HP V-Twin as that already has the "flat-top" air filter and an electric fuel pump but everyone (even the guy at CPP) told me to go with the Vanguard. The more I think about all this, the more confused I am getting!!! I think I'm going nuts.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:56 PM   #14
Jeff Gordon's G2
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Here is the current situation I am in!!!!!!!!! Vanguard.....Honda......just go back to stock......decisions, decisions!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 355.jpg (66.8 KB, 47 views)
Old 06-05-2008, 01:49 PM   #15
Yamaha4life
The Overposter!

Yamaha

You should go Vangaurd no doubt
Yamaha4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:12 PM   #16
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

You need to drill & tap a hole in the side of the front valve cover and screw in a fitting, that is where you hook up the line for the fuel pump. Call Tom back at CPP and see if he can help with the air cleaner, he may have something laying around. He can also tell you by the model number on the engine about the battery charging. It should be good to go!!

Vanguard all the way!!!

On the left side of this pic you can see the elbow fitting coming out of the valve cover.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:22 PM   #17
Jeff Gordon's G2
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Ok, I see the elbow in the picture but I am curious if oil will go up into the line to the pump. I also see in your pic that it looks to have two oil filler places, one in the valve cover(like mine) and an oil filler tube on the clutch side of the motor. Why is that? Also, I have that little electrical box bolted on the side of the engine also like yours. What is the purpose of that?
Old 06-05-2008, 03:31 PM   #18
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

No oil will get into the line, it is a pulse (push / pull) that make the fuel pump work. The oil tube on the clutch side is the dipstick. I am an electrical dumb bell LOL!!! I have no idea. That’s one reason I bought the kit!!

Old 06-05-2008, 03:40 PM   #19
Jeff Gordon's G2
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I should buy the wiring harness, but I can't see spending $130 just for an extension of the key switch that is on it already. I will do the valve cover tonight.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:49 PM   #20
Santa
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

the clutch shouldn't really engage right away as long as its idling, i guess if its set up right. I was thinking today, If i were going to replace the motor in my cart, I think it would be cool to use a street bike engine and have the cart chain driven instead of belt, they already have built in gear boxes, plus it would be sick to have a clutch pedal and a real shifter, I could gear the chain down for torque, i mean those bikes have tons of power anyway and it shouldn't be that hard to find a wrecked bike, or quad... just think about that, a 4 cylinder 6 speed golf cart, maybe a 4 wheel disk break kit. ha ha someday...
Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha