lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2011, 02:04 AM   #1
palongee1
Not Yet Wild

Default Engine swap question

Hey whats up everybody???Im new to this forum and ive got a situation. I had a yamaha g-9 that i pulled the engine from and did a snowmobile swap a few years back. I kept the engine in case I ever needed a replacement for my g-11 work cart, well, the time has come:)..**** thing is knockin like crazy, runs completely outta power after only a few minutes of run time and is smoking like a chimney:)...My question is will the engine from the g-9 which has a stamp on the block of J38 fit into the the g-11 in which the engine is stamped JJ3? Spring is here and I depend on this thing daily working around my property and dont really wanna get into a engine rebuild right now..anybody have any ideas of problems I will run into? I saved all the electronics off the old cart but didnt save the harness...am I gonna get into a electrical nightmare trying to accomplish this? Thanks for any input! Mike
palongee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
palongee1
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Engine swap question

SO I got the engines swapped out last night, pretty straight forward. The issue now is the **** thing wont start, ive got fuel and spark it just kinda sputters and tries to fire now and then...Any help??? Thanks...
Old 04-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #3
0517murphy
Redneck in Southside

Club Car

may to clean carb just a thought
0517murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
palongee1
Not Yet Wild

Swapped Carbs from one to the other, same issue. I think I may just tear into the original engine and fix it...lol
Old 04-11-2011, 02:51 PM   #5
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

From the engine swap stickie by Smallblock450SL:

Please remember the pulsar coil/Rotor/coil/wireharness and ignitor must match for ignition system to work.

My guess is you need the wiring harness for the G9 engine to work correctly........
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #6
palongee1
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Flint..I just read that post, shoulda figured it wouldnt be that eazy..lol..Anyhow, after spending last night and most of today tearing the old engine down and checkin everything out, I think I may be lookin for an aftermarket engine..any suggestions? I was told its a g11 chassis...
Old 04-11-2011, 07:16 PM   #7
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

I bet you could post up a "want to buy" for the harness and find one cheap on here from someone who has done a BB swap. I got rid of mine a while back or I'd offer...
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:18 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Get a G9 wiring diagram and make it so, as long as you have all the parts the coil and ignitor. Some of them a couple wires are swapped on the ignitor. What is the G11 a G2 engine? Otherwise go all the way and drop a clone in it they are cheap, figure around 400 for everything cheaper if you scrounge for exhaust/etc. As long as you can weld up a mount, and buy the clutch adapter from CPP.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

What's the complete serial number of the G11?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:06 PM   #10
palongee1
Not Yet Wild

Hey Big Block...Its JJ3 200647, not sure of the number on the g9 since I dont have it anymore...So after trying everything I could possiblt think of and reading your thread about the different ignition types, I pulled the engine back out and pulled the flywheel, the pickup looked similar to the the one in the g11, just a small box with a little magnet tip, the difference was the one on the g9 wasnt in a little black box, it looks like a small coil with the little magnet tip and three wires. I did notice the flywheel was different..so just for the hell of it I swapped out the pickup and the flywheel and the **** thing started right up ...I put it all back together and have been using around here all day...Its so nice, no smoke, very quiet...If this engine last as long as the last one, the cart will wear out before the motor ...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha